Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Paying Drinks in Helsinki Long Range Lounge !!!!

Paying Drinks in Helsinki Long Range Lounge !!!!

Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:47 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, FB Platinum, Emirates
Originally Posted by Cofyknsult
Well, I agree that there may be a special problem involving the Finns' relation to alcohol and alcohol prices in Finland. I do not think I have ever seen so many 15-20 year olds getting smashed at 10 AM as on the ship between Helsinki and Tallinn. It even seemed to me that they have bouncers on those ships, just in charge of kicking out passengers who can't make it to the exit at the other end... I also imagine that there must be people purposely doiing the round trip. Is there a special known vomit-free place on their body where they can display the return ticket so as not to be bounced off ?

I still believe that normal status passengers who pay the full fare Business price and JUST want to have a glass of good champagne before their flight should be able to get it for free...

While I cannot comment on the SU lounge at SVO and although I am a very reluctant and occasional Skyteam flyer, I seem to recall that good quality champagne is available for free in all AF lounges, particularly at CDG 2. I even drink it regularly at the Orly West AF lounge in Hall 2 where the most glamorous flights are between Paris and Nice.
AF CDG2D lounge or AF lounge BKK have nothing even closely resembling champagne available.

LH business loungess have some 3.99eur piss. LH SEN lounges you can request champagne if you happen to know they have it in the back.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 1:02 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Glass of "good champagne"...

Great trolling!
Old Aug 11, 2011, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by LH747FTL
AF CDG2D lounge or AF lounge BKK have nothing even closely resembling champagne available.

LH business loungess have some 3.99eur piss. LH SEN lounges you can request champagne if you happen to know they have it in the back.
Oh, I have missed the opportunity to request a glass of champag e at SEN lounges and now I'm not SEN any more. But anyhow onboard LH European flights in C (and Y!) class only sekt is available. Some like it onboard a d some like it at lounge.

Do you request Champagne at AF lounges? I have never seen any Champagne nor sparkling wine at AF CDG? KLM has offered cava in the past but I have not visited the lounge at AMS for two years now (the infamous reduction in the earning miles in April 2009).

PS Is this really a Finnair thread and not the Which champagne BA thread?
Old Aug 11, 2011, 4:14 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Is it just champagne that's chargeable or an entire range of "premium" alcoholic beverages?
Old Aug 11, 2011, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by aster
Is it just champagne that's chargeable or an entire range of "premium" alcoholic beverages?
See post #14! These beverages are free to status holders. In addition, you may buy more premium alcohol brands. See pictures in Carfield's lounge report. At least they have sparkling wine, champagne (not all of them are sold by class) and cognacs on offer.

Last edited by nordic; Aug 11, 2011 at 4:54 am
Old Aug 11, 2011, 4:58 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
OT: Paid a short visit to Paris and returned yesterday. And sampled several lounges. To HEL with KF RJ85 in premium economy, no spirits, no champagne, but a tasty cheese roll and youghurt. SK business lounge at HEL did not have champagne, just beer, tap wines, rose, and cheap bubbly.

A weary MD82 in business to CPH but with friendly Danish crew. Gammel Dansk and G/T with cold salad meal. No match to AY business class. Novia Apartment -lounge is for business travellers only, cozy, quiet and well stocked. The other side of the lounge (PP- and paid access) resembled zoo. FB plats flying economy would be directed there.

AF Affaires to CDG onboard A319. Very professional crew members - even though I could not hide my smile after "English" announcements were made. Cold tapas style meal. PLASTIC cutlery and PLASTIC cups - also for the champagne served from a big bottle. Top ups took place promptly. Surprisingly, no hard liquor on board, just couple of whites, couple of reds in small bottles and the champers.

Heading back from CDG to CPH in Affaires and sampled the 2D lounge. Almost empty due to holiday season for French. No champagne indeed. I think CDG is an airport where AY Plus card is handy. Other OW cards would not get you in the lounge if flying economy. My first flight onboard a A318 and a very attentive cabin crew. I do not know if they pay any special attention to shiny card holders but felt treated like royalty. The plastic trend went on.

Managed to get an earlier flight than planned from CPH to HEL, so I did not have time to visit the Scandinavian lounge. MD82 went tech and I had to wait for a later flight and became bumped from Business to Economy Extra onboard another MD82. The difference was not too big, Plastic cups for drinks instead of proper glasses, what I could observe.

The final leg was AY flight to KUO. Clean E190 and a cup of coffee. The offerings of the Silver wings lounge were quite sufficient, but apparently not if you can not survive without champagne...
Old Aug 11, 2011, 8:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by LH747FTL
Although this only applies to status holders I think, plain J pax pay for anything but wine on tap/beer. THAT is unacceptable.
Originally Posted by nordic
From the bar (not open early in the morning) status holders get free...
Originally Posted by nordic
These beverages are free to status holders.
Haven't the rules been relaxed in the last couple of months to include plain J pax on AY flights?

I definitely did not have to show my card in mid-July, and I think there was a new sign about AY J.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 8:50 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by timol

I definitely did not have to show my card in mid-July, and I think there was a new sign about AY J.
But did your BP say "BA Gold - Emerald" ?
Old Aug 11, 2011, 9:20 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by TTL
AF Affaires to CDG onboard A319. Very professional crew members - even though I could not hide my smile after "English" announcements were made. Cold tapas style meal. PLASTIC cutlery and PLASTIC cups - also for the champagne served from a big bottle. Top ups took place promptly. Surprisingly, no hard liquor on board, just couple of whites, couple of reds in small bottles and the champers.
Apart from the nasty plastic stuff, would you say the meals and wine were worth it? I personally don't care much about champers or liquors but do enjoy fine wines and also selected cold appetizers when flying shorthaul.

How are the seats on European Affaires? The usual middle seat blocked?

Now, armed with a shining MU card, I could try AF after a long break. The awful transit experience at CDG put me off almost for good at that time but a point-to-point Euro J flight might be different.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by mosburger
Apart from the nasty plastic stuff, would you say the meals and wine were worth it? I personally don't care much about champers or liquors but do enjoy fine wines and also selected cold appetizers when flying shorthaul.

How are the seats on European Affaires? The usual middle seat blocked?

Now, armed with a shining MU card, I could try AF after a long break. The awful transit experience at CDG put me off almost for good at that time but a point-to-point Euro J flight might be different.
Just to clarify:

- At CDG, all AF non-Schengen lounges have Champagne (either one or two brands depending on time) and the Schengen lounges (2D, 2F1) do not. The lounges are otherwise very nice in terms of food, spirits ('premium' for free! ) and wines as well as showers, massages, etc.

- ORY: only the non-Schengen lounge in terminal 3 of Orly West has Champagne, for domestic flights (such as ORY-NCE) you can only use the 'patio' lounge which only serves soft drinks and beer.

- AF onboard: shorter flights only get the 'tapas' style meal which I personally find mediocre. All AF European J flights get Champagne and wines (except breakfast flights) but no spirits. Longer European flights get a rather good cold (up to 3 hrs) or hot (from 3 hrs) tray. Seating is standard 'blocked middle seat' (replaced by a tablet). No wardrobe service and no pre-take off drink on AF European C. Wines on the longer European routes are probably the best in Europe, but on shorter European routes are average.

- AA Flagship at LHR: I personally find their drink selection - including sparkling - absolutely abysmal. I'd rate it below AY lounge, would rate AF above AY lounge, and of course for OW emerald the BA F lounge above all of the above (for OW silver, would put food above AF lounges and drinks below AF lounges).
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:57 pm
TTL

Orbitmic was faster to answer. Just some supplementary information. The front galleys in 318 and 319 were very small, the seat rows started right after thin dividers. So not much could be stored to feed the passengers with. The seats were nowadays standard slim-line type. In 319 the middle seat was blocked with a tray and with slight recline. In 318 there was no recline.

Tea and coffee were Nescafe instant preparations, only hot water needed to be poured to the plastic cups. Foodwise I would skip European Affaires, drinkwise and servicewise it is ok. IMO, however, not on par with AY business or BA club Europe.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 2:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator, SPG Gold
I would say that good sparkling wine would be much better than entry level champagne.. I don't want champagne just because it's champagne.

At HEL the best way to enjoy champagne is to vist Wine & View and pay for it. They often have pretty good stuff available, for a price though.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 5:44 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by ojala
I would say that good sparkling wine would be much better than entry level champagne.. I don't want champagne just because it's champagne.

At HEL the best way to enjoy champagne is to vist Wine & View and pay for it. They often have pretty good stuff available, for a price though.
I fully agree with you - but in the specific cases, the Champagne at T5 GF is always good and sometimes outstanding (the occasional appearance of the Comtes de Champagne) and in AF lounges is always good as well both in lounges (we have had Taittinger millesime, Lanson, etc recently) and onboard (Jacquart, Ayala, etc). I also maintain that for my personal taste, the sparkling wine served in the AA Flagship lounge at LHR is vile and not in any way a 'good' sparkling wine for my taste even though such thing clearly exists and is most enjoyable when served...
Old Aug 12, 2011, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by TTL
Orbitmic was faster to answer. Just some supplementary information. The front galleys in 318 and 319 were very small, the seat rows started right after thin dividers. So not much could be stored to feed the passengers with. The seats were nowadays standard slim-line type. In 319 the middle seat was blocked with a tray and with slight recline. In 318 there was no recline.
Yes, all the A318 and part of the A319-20-21 fleet are now equipped with the new European seats which I hate and do not recline, not a pleasant experience... in theory they are predominantly used for domestic flights but many of us have experienced it on some European routes as well...
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:30 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, AA Platinum, Marriott & Discovery Platinum, IGH Diamond
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I fully agree with you - but in the specific cases, the Champagne at T5 GF is always good and sometimes outstanding (the occasional appearance of the Comtes de Champagne) and in AF lounges is always good as well both in lounges (we have had Taittinger millesime, Lanson, etc recently) and onboard (Jacquart, Ayala, etc). I also maintain that for my personal taste, the sparkling wine served in the AA Flagship lounge at LHR is vile and not in any way a 'good' sparkling wine for my taste even though such thing clearly exists and is most enjoyable when served...
Slightly OT, but I'm not sure why anybody would call the 19.99 eur Jacquart "good champagne" :-) I mean,if you really have to drink it,it can be done.But without any enjoyment for sure.

Personally I see the standard Moet as plain minimum drinkable champagne.Roederer can be also OK for C.

In F I'm looking for Dom,Tattinger Blanc de Blancs or Krug.In worst case high end Lanson would do,but just barely.

So yes,all airlines serve donkey p*ss in european C,in my opinion.
Just go with wine,beer or G&T ;-)

Regards,

El Puerco Volante.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.