Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AY (cabin) luggage blues

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2010, 5:10 am
TTL
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
AY (cabin) luggage blues

An aggravating detail in the AY travel rules is the cabin baggage allowance. And to add to the aggravation the same applies to the checked in baggage.

To the cabin: 1 piece weighing no more than 8 kg. AY plus status helps a bit but not much: 2 pieces weighing no more than 10 kg. AY plus status holders can also take along 2 or 3 pieces of checked in baggage depending on the type of ticket.

This hits especially those of us who have to connect from/to Finland. BA has more liberal rules. For my forthcoming KUO-HEL-LHR-ORD-LHR-HEL-KUO-trip in AY economy and BA Club/First all on the same PNR I could have maximum of 3 checked in bags weighing 23 kg each, and two pieces of cabin luggage without weight restriction. AY rules and the domestic legs limit this to only one piece of checked in bag up to 23 kg and one piece of cabin luggage less than 8 kg!

This is a disgusting nuisance on which OW should act upon ASAP. The pressure should come from the international non-Finn AY passengers. The Finns AY keeps on peeing to the eye, no doubt!

Last edited by TTL; Oct 21, 2010 at 5:17 am
Old Oct 21, 2010, 9:13 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
In my experience in this case the most liberal baggage allowance of the PNR applies. Not 100% sure about Finnair though.

However, have you ever had your hand luggage checked or even counted? I haven't, not even on Finnair.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 9:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold
my hand luggage was checked on an AY flight from PVG this summer
Old Oct 23, 2010, 5:03 am

Programs: SK Eurobonus Silver, DL, AA, AY, US
Well... It's quite rare that the weight them anyway...

I would agree that they could allow and extra "personal item" with clearly smaller dimension (purse, laptop briefcase, small back-pack, that could be expected to go under the seat in front of you), but please don't go two "2 pieces for everyone" or more that 2 for anyone.
I don't want to see the American concept of "run to the plane and you might find a place on the overhead bins" and "boarding always takes at least 45 minutes, since we first try to get everybody's stuff to fit, and when it doesn't, then we fight who has to check theirs in."
Old Oct 31, 2010, 4:49 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, FB Platinum, Emirates
BA allowance applies since that is the most generous. I had some (QF) agents argue before but the BA MMB print clearly says (at least said) most generous applies.

Having said that, I agree with the above - has somebody checked your hand luggage on AY? I had 3 roller bags totalling about 60kg stacked on top of each other when I moved back to Finland and nobody cared at BKK. Same on EK a month prior. I dont support that but I could have never paid the excess. Hated hauling around that junk.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 6:39 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by LH747FTL
I had 3 roller bags totalling about 60kg stacked on top of each other when I moved back to Finland and nobody cared at BKK. Same on EK a month prior. I dont support that but I could have never paid the excess. Hated hauling around that junk.

By the way there's an interesting discussion in this oneworld thread. Someone seems to have been hit with excessive baggage fees concerning his golf-bag which he should be able to carry for free on his home airline (which was on his PNR).
Old Oct 31, 2010, 7:23 am
TTL
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
I had a concern mainly for the cabin luggage allowance but certainly there seem to be big problems within the OW interlining agreements of checked in luggage.

What I will do for my ORD trip, is to fill my brand new Rimowa Salsa Air cabin trolley up to exactly at 8 kg:s and a laptop case filled with iPad and the heaviest travel items. I suppose I can survive a week without checked in baggage. So far I have never met trouble flying domestic AY legs with similar pieces and expect not to have such this time either.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 7:51 am

Programs: AA Platinum, AA LT Gold
I had my hand baggage checked and weighted at JFK. I was OW Rudy/AA Gold, and went to a regular economy counter because the business check-in had 2 people waiting. The agent was extremely thorough and didn't let it go until the "hand bag" was 8 kgs on the dot. It's ridiculous, as I was traveling JFK-HEL-BKK, with 14 hours layover in BKK, with 8 kgs of checked luggage, 2-3 of which was the suitcase itself. The agent is one of their veterans at JFK, as I have seen her at JFK on a few occasions afterwards, and she is always running around helping others.

Last edited by yminev; Nov 3, 2010 at 1:33 pm
Old Nov 1, 2010, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by LH747FTL
Having said that, I agree with the above - has somebody checked your hand luggage on AY? I had 3 roller bags totalling about 60kg stacked on top of each other when I moved back to Finland and nobody cared at BKK. Same on EK a month prior. I dont support that but I could have never paid the excess. Hated hauling around that junk.
I flew BKK-HEL on the day of the crackdown (in May). The flight was full of touristy looking people and I saw that they asked quite a lot of people to put their cabin luggage on the scale. I had a heavy looking rucksack but they didn't bother to measure that and just put a cabin luggage tag on it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.