Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Dad flying AY in J - no status - shall I put him in BA exec club or AY plus?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2010, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ

Booked my dad two round trips in a short space of time from LHR via HEL to asia in J (so 8 segments)

My Q is very "simple" (I hope!!)

He doesn't fly very often - when he does only flys J - and would use miles on a J redemption or upgrade Y -> J (or WT+ -> CW)

Should I get him to start from scratch on a AY plus account or a BA exec club account? He has neither..

Know my exec club very well but these would be 8 flights worth 720 tier points but none on BA metal so not worth silver / gold

What would they be worth on AY +? Would he become gold (o/w sapphire) with these flights?

Any advice very much appreciated! Thanks
Old Sep 3, 2010, 11:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by terminalfive

What would they be worth on AY +? Would he become gold (o/w sapphire) with these flights?
Requirement for gold in Finnair Plus is 90000 points per tracking period (12 months).
Two LHR-HEL-Asia (for example Bangkok) trips will earn 77760 points. Around 12000 points still needed for gold level. Once gold card holder, you will earn 15 % more points when travelling AY (Finnair operated flights) + get 4 european upgrade vouchers (or one oneway long haul upgrade).

If your dad's starting point for flights is London, I would choose BA loyalty program.

Last edited by teme; Sep 4, 2010 at 9:37 am
Old Sep 4, 2010, 1:30 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by teme
If you dad's starting point for flights is London, I would choose BA loyalty program.
+1
Old Sep 4, 2010, 1:36 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by teme
Two LHR-HEL-Asia (for example Bangkok) will earn 77760 points. Around 12000 points still needed for Gold level. Once gold card holder, youl will earn 15 % more points when travelling AY (Finnair operated flights) + get 4 european upgrade vouchers (or one oneway long haul upgrade).
Of course he could use 36000 points to get those 12000 status points, become gold and then get the free upgrades (applicable on Finnair flights only).

So I would say Finnair plus if he continues to fly with Finnair, otherwise BA.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 3:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tsastor
Of course he could use 36000 points to get those 12000 status points, become gold and then get the free upgrades (applicable on Finnair flights only).

So I would say Finnair plus if he continues to fly with Finnair, otherwise BA.
Thanks a lot for all the replies NoWindowSeat and Teme- very quick!

tsastor, can this be done after the first return flight

eg he goes LHR -> HKG -> LHR via HEL in J and accumulates 38904 TP's

What is the maximum number of tier points he can buy then with these 38904 AY + points?

Can he purchase 12500 TP's which is what he needs to then make gold with his second flight?

Maths -

First Return 38904
Buys 12500
Second Return 38904 (as silver)
TOTAL 90308

Otherwise he would have to do
First Return 38904
Second Return 38904
Buys 12500
Total = still 90308 but he didn't benefit from being already silver for his second trip to asia

What are your views?

One more question - are the flight upgrades transferable or does he have to use them?

Many thanks
Old Sep 4, 2010, 4:50 am

tsastor, can this be done after the first return flight

What is the maximum number of tier points he can buy then with these 38904 AY + points?

Can he purchase 12500 TP's which is what he needs to then make gold with his second flight?
Finnair:
To help you ensure that you’ll have enough tier points to move up to the next tier level or maintain your current level, you can now exchange your Finnair Plus award points for tier points. When exchanging points, 15,000 Plus points is equal to 5,000 tier points. The exchanged tier points are valid until the end of your current tracking period.

To exchange points, contact the Finnair Plus Service Center on +358 9 818 888. Tier points can be bought in batches of up to 5,000 points at a time, and no more than half of the tier points required to reach the next tier level can be bought in this way. For example, 40,000 tier points are needed to achieve the Silver tier level, of which 20,000 can be bought with award points. You will be charged €20 for each transaction.
Maths -

First Return 38904
Buys 12500
Second Return 38904 (as silver)
TOTAL 90308

Otherwise he would have to do
First Return 38904
Second Return 38904
Buys 12500
Total = still 90308 but he didn't benefit from being already silver for his second trip to asia

What are your views?

One more question - are the flight upgrades transferable or does he have to use them?
Finnair:
Your tier points balance will not be reset to zero on qualifying for the Silver tier, but will continue for the rest of the original Basic tracking period. You may then qualify for the Gold tier by collecting approximately 50,000 more tier points during this original tracking period. Your tier points total will then be reset to zero when the original tracking period ends, and you will need 90,000 tier points to re-qualify for the Gold tier during the new tracking period.
Your father will benefit only marginally from having Silver status as he is always flying Business class and has access to lounges, biz check-in etc.

He can upgrade himself and others on the same reservation based on availability.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 5:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tsastor
Finnair:

Finnair:

Your father will benefit only marginally from having Silver status as he is always flying Business class and has access to lounges, biz check-in etc.

He can upgrade himself and others on the same reservation based on availability.
very clear

So he does the two return flights and then he'll buy 15000 Tier Points at a cost of 45000 AY + points

Last Q

He his last flight is in Nov 2010 and he buys the tier points immediately he will become gold till NOV 2011 correct?

But if he buys the tier points say in June 2011, he will become gold in June 2011 and then will stay gold until June 2012

Is my understanding correct?
Old Sep 4, 2010, 5:39 am

very clear

So he does the two return flights and then he'll buy 15000 Tier Points at a cost of 45000 AY + points

Last Q

He his last flight is in Nov 2010 and he buys the tier points immediately he will become gold till NOV 2011 correct?

But if he buys the tier points say in June 2011, he will become gold in June 2011 and then will stay gold until June 2012

Finnair:

You qualify for the Gold tier and get your Finnair Plus Gold card and tier benefits immediately on collecting 90,000 tier points during your Basic tracking period or taking 54 scheduled flights with Finnair or another oneworld airline*, of which at least four must be Finnair flights.

Your Gold membership will then continue for the rest of the current tracking period plus 12 months.
(Bolding mine)
Old Sep 4, 2010, 11:41 am
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK E+
No, if he is joining september 04, his basic tracking period will be september 4,2010 - september 3,2011.
During his second return he will qualify for the silver tier (after 40 000 TPs) until september 3, 2011 plus 12 months (so september 3, 2012).

After second return he will buy his TPs to qualify for the gold tier.
Whatever period he'll buy these TPs he will stay gold until september 3, 2011 plus 12 months (so september 3, 2012).

So the better for him(to stay gold as long as possible) is to join AY + as close as his first flight.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 4:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by G_G
No, if he is joining september 04, his basic tracking period will be september 4,2010 - september 3,2011.
During his second return he will qualify for the silver tier (after 40 000 TPs) until september 3, 2011 plus 12 months (so september 3, 2012).

After second return he will buy his TPs to qualify for the gold tier.
Whatever period he'll buy these TPs he will stay gold until september 3, 2011 plus 12 months (so september 3, 2012).

So the better for him(to stay gold as long as possible) is to join AY + as close as his first flight.
It seems fairly simple but its actually taken me a while to understand this but if he qualifies for gold he will have it till SEPT 2011 and will have qualified for the year afterwards ie sept 2012

That is exactly what he needs - so in the year sept 2011 - sept 2012 he will then need another 90000 (?) points to requalify for gold until SEPT 2013 - I think!!??!!

If all this is correct AY it is

Would have chosen BA were it not for the 4 qualifying flights on BA metal
He would actually easily be sapphire with two return journeys to HKG (480 TP's + 240 TP's = 720 TP's) but with no BA flights he remains ruby / blue

Annoying beacuse he will have to "invest" some of his miles BUT the flight upgrades are excellent

Many thanks G_G and tsastor
Much appreciated
Old Sep 5, 2010, 7:02 am
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK E+

That is exactly what he needs - so in the year sept 2011 - sept 2012 he will then need another 90000 (?) points to requalify for gold until SEPT 2013 - I think!!??!!
Yes, that's correct.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 1:55 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo+LTG, FI Gold, DL Silver, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott Ambassador & others
When doing the maths on the points, don't forget that on AY metal a silver member will earn points with an elite bonus of 10%. So while the investment after the first J trip costs points, he will immediately benefit by earning more points on the second trip.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Trav1970
When doing the maths on the points, don't forget that on AY metal a silver member will earn points with an elite bonus of 10%. So while the investment after the first J trip costs points, he will immediately benefit by earning more points on the second trip.
Very true - well any way he's left - hope he's enjoyed his first couple of flights

Will keep you all updated
Old Nov 21, 2010, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Just to thank you all - all went well for my dad

Has just got back from his second return and his comments on AY were pretty positive

A340's were fine as were transits in Vaanta

Now going to pay the 25€ and miles to upgrade him to gold

Was surprised he didnt't get a signing on bonus / extra miles - 0

thanks again everyone^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.