FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Finnair | Finnair Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus-636/)
-   -   Finnair re-opens route to Stockholm Bromma (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus/1093339-finnair-re-opens-route-stockholm-bromma.html)

Tibas Jun 7, 2010 4:32 pm

Finnair re-opens route to Stockholm Bromma

According to AY homepage and some newspapers in Finland. Twice daily from August.

This from Finnair homepage:

Finnair opens fast route to the heart of Stockholm

In August, Finnair will open a new, fast connection from Helsinki to Stockholm. Instead of Arlanda Airport, passengers can choose Bromma Airport, which is situated close to downtown Stockholm and the Kista business area, where many international companies are located.

“The new, fast connection will best serve business passengers who travel often between Helsinki and Stockholm. Bromma Airport is very efficient. It's possible to check in 15 minutes before departure, which shortens the overall travel time,” explains Finnair's Vice President Network Strategy and Traffic Planning Petteri Kostermaa.

Finnair will fly to Bromma twice per day Monday-Friday and once on Sunday. The fast connection will open on 18 August. In addition to Finnair, the company's Danish partner Sun-Air will begin a daily service on the route. The cooperation of Finnair and Sun-Air also offers Swedish customers excellent connections to Asia.

In addition to the Bromma route, Finnair flies 50 flights per week between
Helsinki and Arlanda. Until 1962 Finnair's Stockholm flights landed at Bromma, before Arlanda Airport opened and international traffic was transferred there.

Bromma applies very strict environmental and noise restrictions, which set high demands on the aircraft using the airport. Finnair will fly the Bromma route with modern Embraer aircraft.

FlyingPrince22 Jun 8, 2010 4:26 am

The schedule, at least in August, seems to be more convenient for Swedish biz rather than for Finnish biz:

AY 981 HEL 08:45 BMA 08:45
AY 983 HEL 18:05 BMA 18:05
AY 982 BMA 09:15 HEL 11:15
AY 984 BMA 18:05 HEL 20:05

A lot of waiting at HEL for those connecting to Asia... All the flights on E70. Good luck, AY! But I doubt whether this leg will bring any true profit. ARN is so well connected with Arlanda Express, which takes as long as a taxi to BMA (or even less, if there is traffic).

What I would suggest to AY is to study the possibilites with LGW and LCY... not to mention SXB.

WilcoRoger Jun 8, 2010 10:11 am

Originally Posted by FlyingPrince22 (Post 14096007)
The schedule, at least in August, seems to be more convenient for Swedish biz rather than for Finnish biz:

AY 981 HEL 08:45 BMA 08:45
AY 982 BMA 09:15 HEL 11:15

A lot of waiting at HEL for those connecting to Asia... All the flights on E70. Good luck, AY! But I doubt whether this leg will bring any true profit. ARN is so well connected with Arlanda Express, which takes as long as a taxi to BMA (or even less, if there is traffic).

What I would suggest to AY is to study the possibilites with LGW and LCY... not to mention SXB.

These flights are obviously meant more for the SWE/FIN destinations than as feeders for HEL connections. I don't know BMA, but small airports can offer substantial time savings over large ones.
LGW/LCY -> now those would be real killers!

GetAA81Back2ARN Jun 8, 2010 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Tibas (Post 14093652)
Finnair will fly to Bromma twice per day Monday-Friday and once on Sunday. The fast connection will open on 18 August. In addition to Finnair, the company's Danish partner Sun-Air will begin a daily service on the route. The cooperation of Finnair and Sun-Air also offers Swedish customers excellent connections to Asia.

Well, Finnair's schedule hasn't been loaded yet but BA (operated by Sun-Air) is there:

BA8249 BMA-HEL 09:30-11:30
BA8251 BMA-HEL 12:40-14:40

According to BA these flights will be code-shared with AY as well.

This means that there will be one flight at 09:15 and one at 09:30...

BA8251 should be a good flight for Asia-connecting flights.

nordic Jun 8, 2010 11:39 am

There was some discussion that the codeshare flights with Norwegian to long-haul destinations are delayed because of incompatible software.
Even though they plan to co-operate with DY I wonder if this would prevent joint service with Malmö Aviation from Bromma. There would be good connections to many Swedish domestic destinations via Bromma.

nordic Jun 8, 2010 11:41 am

Originally Posted by FlyingPrince22 (Post 14096007)

Rather short turn-around time at Bromma.;)

WilcoRoger Jun 8, 2010 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by nordic (Post 14098630)
Rather short turn-around time at Bromma.;)

Touch 'n' go :D

GUWonder Jun 8, 2010 1:05 pm

Other than for flights/to from BRU, I haven't had much use for BMA in a long time. This adds a bit more incentive to use BMA.

FlyingPrince22 Jun 8, 2010 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger (Post 14098994)
Touch 'n' go :D

Well, folks, as you noticed AY983 leaves HEL 17:05 arriving at BMA 17:05. Sorry for the confusion. :confused:

I guess AY is going to use the Yellow Room, to my knowledge the only lounge at BMA.

Pteropous Oct 16, 2010 1:40 am

There are some rearrangements on HEL-BMA services. Finnair claims (see the second press release quoted below) the route is so popular that they add a daily flight. However, at the same time, BA/Sun-Air have announced that they'll discontinue the route.

As a result, there won't be early afternoon flights, but instead, early morning departure from BMA that should allow some more connections and a full business day in Helsinki.

Originally Posted by http://www.speedbirdclub.com/ro/all-news/news/2010/september/billundcanx/

SUN-AIR withdraws Billund-Stockholm Bromma - Helsinki services from 18 October 2010
24 Sep, 2010

British Airways franchise partner SUN-AIR have announced they are to withdraw services between Billund (BLL), Stockholm Bromma (BMA) and Helsinki (HEL) from Monday, 18 October 2010 and onwards.

Originally Posted by Finnair Plc - Press release

Finnair adds flights to Stockholm

Finnair is increasing flights on the Stockholm Bromma route due to its popularity. From the start of the winter traffic season, Finnair will fly to Bromma three times per day instead of the present two flights. The new flight will serve in particular business travel directed from Sweden to Finland.

"The new flights will provide a more convenient service between Stockholm and Helsinki. The compact size of Bromma Airport and its location close to Stockholm city centre save the passenger time and trouble," says Matias Sarkkinen, Finnair's Sales Director, Sweden.

Finnair is the only airline that offers its customers the opportunity to choose from Stockholm's two airports the option that suits them best - or even a combination of the two. Finnair flies from Bromma to Helsinki three times per day and from Arlanda 8-9 times per day Monday to Friday. Finnair therefore has a total of 11-12 return flights per day between Helsinki and Stockholm.

The new flight's departure time from Bromma is 7.00 in the morning, arriving in Helsinki at 9.00. On the return leg, the flight departs from Helsinki in the evening at 20.00, arriving in Bromma at 20.00. The new flight facilitates a more efficient day on a business trip to Helsinki and elsewhere.

The service will be operated by Finnair's modern Embraer 170 jet aircraft fleet.

Timetable for Finnair's new flight from Stockholm Bromma:
AY3192 Stockholm Bromma-Helsinki 7.00-9.00 (Mon-Fri), 9.00-11.00 (Sat)
AY3191 Helsinki-Stockholm Bromma 20.00-20.00 (Mon-Fri & Sun)

Finnair Plc
Communications

FRA-AY Oct 21, 2010 12:57 am

Tested BMA and was impressed to be at the customer 25 min after landing and I walked to the office! Unfortunately the 12:40 flight was canceled and had to take the taxi to ARN.

mosburger Oct 21, 2010 1:33 pm

Is it just me or would it make sense to route a morning HEL - BMA - LCY hop to connect with the BA London City to New York service? And vice versa an evening LCY - BMA - HEL flight to feed passengers to HKG, BKK and Jekaterinburg?

Or will the coming LCY - ARN connection be extended to HEL in some form? LCY - HEL seems to be out of the question due to fuel issues?

mkgrip Oct 21, 2010 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by mosburger (Post 14988103)
Is it just me or would it make sense to route a morning HEL - BMA - LCY hop to connect with the BA London City to New York service? And vice versa an evening LCY - BMA - HEL flight to feed passengers to HKG, BKK and Jekaterinburg?

Or will the coming LCY - ARN connection be extended to HEL in some form? LCY - HEL seems to be out of the question due to fuel issues?

Why would anybody, let a alone people who are willing to pay a fair price for a C-class ticket want to fly HEL-BMA-LCY-SNN-JFK, when they can just take AY5 and fly direct HEL-JFK?

And even in general the smaller "city airports" have no advantage when you're just connecting through, the whole point is that the airport is closer to the city, if you connect you don't care about that.
There's really no added value going through LCY or BMA only arriving or departing.

mosburger Oct 22, 2010 2:27 am

Originally Posted by mkgrip (Post 14988922)
Why would anybody, let a alone people who are willing to pay a fair price for a C-class ticket want to fly HEL-BMA-LCY-SNN-JFK, when they can just take AY5 and fly direct HEL-JFK?

And even in general the smaller "city airports" have no advantage when you're just connecting through, the whole point is that the airport is closer to the city, if you connect you don't care about that.
There's really no added value going through LCY or BMA only arriving or departing.

More just wondering whether a LCY - HEL connection is feasible in some form. LCY - BMA point-to-point traffic might form a healthy backbone to any extended connection?

TuxTraveller Nov 21, 2010 6:09 am

Sorry to dig up an old(ish) thread here.. I've taken this one several times as I'm running a project in both Stockholm and Helsinki so I split my week between the two and use the BMA-HEL flight to get to Helsinki before heading back home to LHR directly.. it's a short flight so they only serve a sandwich in J, but hey better than nothing...

It's a very convenient flight for me as I have client offices very close to BMA and HEL... I know our client uses it frequently so I think AY is doing quite well profit-wise on this route already.

Though someone will have to take the mantle from me soon as I'll soon have finished my project so won't be subsidising the route much longer :P