Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

AY pilots threaten with a strike on 16 Nov 2009

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2009, 10:51 am
TTL
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest

AY pilots have announced not to work overtime from 01 Nov 2009 on. Furthermore, they have given a strike warning involving the entire flight operations beginning in the morning of 16 Nov 2009 . This may become a tough battle!

And I am quite certain that the flying public will not symphatise with the pilots !
Old Oct 31, 2009, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
An old joke comes to mind.

"Six month ago our company was on the brink of disaster. Since then we have taken a long step forward"

Seriously - is it better to have a not-so-perfect contract or to be an out-of-job-pilot?
Old Nov 1, 2009, 4:53 am

Programs: AY Lumo, FB Gold
Originally Posted by TTL
AY pilots have announced not to work overtime from 01 Nov 2009 on.
Just a small clarification to this: it is actually overtime for flights originating in HEL - thus no plane should be let at an outstation due to the flight deck crew running out of regular working hours.

The weird thing about this contract proposal and the strike is that the pilots have already proposed an universal 5% wage cut, so it's not about getting more money, it's about the outsourcing policies etc.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
Just a small clarification to this: it is actually overtime for flights originating in HEL - thus no plane should be let at an outstation due to the flight deck crew running out of regular working hours.

The weird thing about this contract proposal and the strike is that the pilots have already proposed an universal 5% wage cut, so it's not about getting more money, it's about the outsourcing policies etc.
Isn't it lovely when employees try to decide company policiy?
Old Nov 2, 2009, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Thanks for the info and please keep us updated. I am scheduled to fly from HEL to NGO on 11/16.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 10:12 am
TTL
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Certainly! I had a mere KUO-HEL-LHR and back that time but I swapped to SK (God help!) KUO-HEL-ARL-LHR and back. The price in D (business all the way) was a nice surprise €1300 compared to AY in C €1600. Lots of SK points as well.

The shortcoming is I will be missing first two of my scheduled meetings. Which is nothing thinking of the nostalgia onboard the MD-80´s and surströmming...

Last edited by TTL; Nov 2, 2009 at 10:34 am
Old Nov 2, 2009, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Thanks. The fare (D class) is actually the best I've seen in the market and was booked through our travel agent, so I will probably keep it as is and hope to be reaccomidated if the strike does happen.

Not being too familiar with Finnair labor politics and Finnish labor law in general, do strikes usually happen when they are scheduled, or is there likely to be a postponment/cancellation prior to the actual strike?

Last edited by PresRDC; Nov 3, 2009 at 7:16 am
Old Nov 3, 2009, 4:54 am
TTL
Original Poster

Legal strikes start when they were announced to be started. The national conciliator can in some cases postpone induction of the strike by 2 weeks. I presume, this option could well be used here, since our dear civil servants and politicians just could not survive without sitting on a plane at least five times a week !

Last edited by TTL; Nov 14, 2009 at 8:13 am
Old Nov 7, 2009, 1:06 am
TTL
Original Poster

Update:

Public opinion polls: 80% think that pilots are overpaid/oversupplied/overpampered.

Finnair blog, AY PR-manager: Pilots do not live this day with their expectations.

Finnish pilot union: Ok. Let go 20% of the wages... BUT "If we grant our employer an unlimited possibility to fly their planes using outsourced staff, there will be a concrete risk of that Finnair pilots will soon have no work at all. We cannot accept that."

I think the PR-manager summarises it nicely. And I almost hope that the strike will be a long one, having read the clever comment from the pilot union spokesman.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 1:22 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
I too hope that the strike will be a long one..it's time to bring down this fortress for the 70/80's..

All short term upcoming OW travels post Nov16th with BA and AA but there seems to be some union stuff going on at BA as well..most likely during the holiday season. Anyway this is the worst possible PR for AY as people will book alternative carriers from mid Nov onwards.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 8:37 am

It's ridicilous. This fight in the middle of huge economical crisis is just utterly wrong.

If 97 employees out of Finnair's 100 employees with best salary are pilots, they really should take a look in the mirror and start negiotating a more realistic collective agreement.

The CEO has already resigned himself from the company and it's only getting worse.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
Anyway this is the worst possible PR for AY as people will book alternative carriers from mid Nov onwards.
Too right. My only concern is a return leg HAM-HEL on 20/Nov... after that no OW flights this year (I guess)
Old Nov 10, 2009, 12:32 pm
TTL
Original Poster

Lots of aggravated domestic passengers so far. It appears that especially KUO flights are affected for some reason.

I do sincerely hope that the AY pilots would suffer moneywise as much as possible from this act. And that their lazy days would be over (500 hours of flying per year currently compared to 800 hours of flying per year in many other, profitable companies such as EK or FR) for good!
Old Nov 11, 2009, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We'll see today where it's all going.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 4:07 am

Programs: too many to list
Originally Posted by Curious223
If 97 employees out of Finnair's 100 employees with best salary are pilots, they really should take a look in the mirror and start negiotating a more realistic collective agreement.
I thought that the pilots were prepared to take a pay cut, it is just that they don't want to be replaced by cheaper employees from other companies. I don't think any of us here would, if we were in the same situation.

On the other hand, I think that it is much better to give the best salary to the employees that are directly responsible for my safety (=pilots) instead of paying more to someone shuffling papers in an office.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.