Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Fairmont | Fairmont Presidents Club
Reload this Page >

Vancouver Fairmonts (Airport, Hotel, Pacific)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vancouver Fairmonts (Airport, Hotel, Pacific)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2009, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, AP Basic, FPC Platinum, SPG Gold
Fairmont Hotels in Vancouver...

I'm looking for some advice on which is the best family friendly Fairmont to stay at in Vancouver (traveling with 2 young children-7 mths & 2 yrs)? My brother is planning a trip in September 09 and was wondering about location with respect to Stanley Park and the other main areas. Any advice and info is greatly appricated. Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 10, 2009, 9:32 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Hey epost,

I would reccomend Fairmont Vancouver. It is not far from Stanley park at all. In fact, Fairmont Vancouver and Fairmont Waterfront are about equally as far from Stanley Park, I just prefer vancouver (better central location, a Vancouver landmark). Also, they have Beau, a Yellow Lab, who is one of the nicest dogs I have ever met. You can take the dog on a walk, which the kids would really enjoy. (pic: http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/med.../vancouver.jpg)

Also, if you have time, the Fairmont Whistler is beautiful.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 9:59 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
The Fairmont Waterfront is a nicer walk to Stanley Park - You can now walk the Coal Harbour seawall along the water's edge from the hotel to Stanley Park.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/canada/v.../sights/394005

http://www.seecoalharbour.com/seawall/seawall.htm
Old Jun 10, 2009, 11:17 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by gglave
The Fairmont Waterfront is a nicer walk to Stanley Park - You can now walk the Coal Harbour seawall along the water's edge from the hotel to Stanley Park.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/canada/v.../sights/394005

http://www.seecoalharbour.com/seawall/seawall.htm
I agree with this statement. Waterfront is a nicer walk, I just think Vancouver is better located within downtown. If you want to, you could walk from Vancouver to Waterfront (only a few blocks), and then have the same walk along the water to Stanley.

To be honest though, both hotels are amazing.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 2:06 pm

Programs: FPC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, PC Plt Amb
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Hey epost,

I would reccomend Fairmont Vancouver. It is not far from Stanley park at all. In fact, Fairmont Vancouver and Fairmont Waterfront are about equally as far from Stanley Park, I just prefer vancouver (better central location, a Vancouver landmark). Also, they have Beau, a Yellow Lab, who is one of the nicest dogs I have ever met. You can take the dog on a walk, which the kids would really enjoy. (pic: http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/med.../vancouver.jpg)

Also, if you have time, the Fairmont Whistler is beautiful.
I agree totally with Canuck. Downtown Vancouver is not all that large, and the two properties are not that far from each other. I too enjoy Stanley Park immensely, and I did not find the Fairmont Vancouver location to be a disadvantage. In fact, it's actually pretty cool to walk first through the downtown streets to the park, and then back along the waterfront to the hotel (or vice versa). Very very enjoyable.
I find the people at Fairmont Vancouver to be first rate, and I highly recommend it. ^^
Old Jun 10, 2009, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, AP Basic, FPC Platinum, SPG Gold
Thanks!

Thanks for the info!! Yes they are planning to head to Whistler for a few days as well...I only wish I could join them
Old Jun 11, 2009, 4:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
For a family I would recommend the Fairmont Vancouver as its what I call a heritage or classic property and can have larger rooms better able to accommodate adults & kids, though smaller closets and bathrooms in rooms designed a century ago are a downside. While the Fairmont Waterfront has rooms with much better views which I very much enjoyed it on a recent stay there, in your case I'd lean toward the Fairmont Vancouver.

Enjoy YVR.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 5:51 am

Programs: AC SE, CO Silver, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond, Sheraton Plat
I also like the Fairmont Vancouver with my kids, although I haven't stayed at the Waterfront. Vancouver has a small children's pool inside that they can splash around in, it's only about 12" deep. It is also close the Skytrain which you can take to the Science Centre if you plan to go there. My kids always enjoy that ride.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 11:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, FPC, Delta Privilege Gold, Air Miles Gold
The Fairmont Waterfront and The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver are approx 3 blocks apart from each other so location is similar. If you like classic historical hotels, then choose The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, if you like modern and new, then The Fairmont Waterfront. But Hotel Vancouver does have the indoor pool and childrens pool. I guess availibility and cost will factor into this too.

have fun!
Old Jun 13, 2009, 4:46 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP, Fairmont FPC Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
I stay at all three Vancouver Fairmonts on a regular basis. As a rule I stay at the Hotel Vancouver from October to April. Then the Waterfront from May to Sept. Funny enough I do stay at the YVR Fairmont a few times a year ( even when not flying) because I like the bar and Globe restaurant.

All the Fairmonts in the Pacific Northwest are great. You can't go wrong.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 4:26 pm

Programs: HHonors (Gold), One Pass (Peon)
Is the lounge at the Fairmont Waterfront "guarded", or can anyone who knows where it is just go in? I know what floor it is on, but not exactly where it is located.

DD
Old Jun 15, 2009, 10:01 pm

Programs: Used to have a bunch of shiny metallic cards. That was one life ago.
Originally Posted by epost77
Thanks for the info!! Yes they are planning to head to Whistler for a few days as well...I only wish I could join them
I split last week between the Fairmont Van and the Chateau Whistler. The Chateau Whistler is spectacular. A bit of a walk to Whistler Village (7-8 mins) and the bar is pricey, but the gym and pool were absolutely wonderful.

The Van was historic and nice. They knew me by the time I checked in for the second time and gave me a nice upgrade to a huge corner room.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 9:49 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Also, they have Beau, a Yellow Lab, who is one of the nicest dogs I have ever met. You can take the dog on a walk, which the kids would really enjoy.
Darn. I was just there and saw the dog, but didn't realize he was a hotel dog. I thought he belonged to a guest. I would have taken him out.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by l'etoile
Darn. I was just there and saw the dog, but didn't realize he was a hotel dog. I thought he belonged to a guest. I would have taken him out.
Fairmont dogs are the BEST, actually the reason I always stay at the DT location when I'm there, however this summer I plan on my first stay at waterfront... but may switch to DT last minute if my gut says so

Taking out the white lab around Lake Louise is a fantastic time too...
Old Jun 22, 2009, 4:02 pm

Programs: Air Canada, BA Executive Club, Accor / Fairmont Platinum, SPG Gold, Marriott
Fairmont Dogs

Originally Posted by kokinos
Fairmont dogs are the BEST, actually the reason I always stay at the DT location when I'm there, however this summer I plan on my first stay at waterfront... but may switch to DT last minute if my gut says so

Taking out the white lab around Lake Louise is a fantastic time too...
There are now 9 lobby dogs or "K-9 Ambassadors" at 7 different Fairmont properties. http://www.fairmont.com/en_fa/articl...mbassadors.htm

Other hotels are also considering 4-legged additions to their payroll.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.