Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fairmont Chicago Millennium Park

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2015, 4:50 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ptownca
I've also been to the Plaza in New York as well as the Savoy in London, so I'd be happy to compare those to a St. Regis or a Ritz-Carlton. Moreover, the SF Fairmont certainly competes with the SF St. Regis and some would say a better property.
That's a fair point. Those two properties weren't in my mind when I read your post, but yeah, I'd put them up there as well.

The Coppley plaza (pre renovation) was a total fail in my books though, but no I haven't been back post renovation.

When it was part of Fairmonts, the Battery Wharf was in a league of its own though. Stayed at Fairmont Gold....it was awesome.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:27 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
I hope to get back to Boston soon enough and yes, I will be at the Copley Plaza. It is a hotel I have a 20 year history of visiting. (I'm from Massachusetts.) After my next visit there, I will have a detailed review. Past experience says it will be a great stay.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 10:13 pm

Programs: Amex Plat CAN
I was here over the Christmas weekend on a Fairmont Moments 30% off rate of $168 a night for a Gold floor room. Very good value for money.

I emailed a day ahead to notify the hotel that we had a very early flight and they were accommodating enough to pre-arrange a room to be available by 9AM. The room itself was nice and clean and we were given a lakeview room. The view was obstructed by another building, but considering how far away the hotel is from the shore, we were more than happy with it. I felt that the room was modern enough while retaining the classic Fairmont colours. The temperature adjustment was not great. We set the thermostat at the maximum value of 32 Celsius and it was still cold, but bearable, at night.

The Gold lounge staff were great and very friendly. Upon check-in, we received stockings stuffed with goodies like a set of Rose 31 toiletries, 2 VIP tickets to the Field Museum, a small bag of Garrett's popcorn, and some candy. Gold lounge has nice views and the breakfast and hors d'oeuvres were fine, but predictable. I've only just started staying regularly at Fairmonts this past year, but my last Gold floor visit was to Montreal's The Queen Elizabeth which had significantly better quality and variety of food by comparison.

The Gold lounge also had a food menu that I presume is prepared by the room service kitchen. I had a duck confit which was a little on the salty side, but was otherwise tender and flavourful. My fiancée had grilled chicken breast with grits, which was very good. The meal exceeded my modest expectations. The dishes were priced reasonably, but there is a mandatory $6 delivery charge and 20% gratuity. I ended up being charged a grand total of about $75 for the two dishes, which I still think is quite reasonable.

The staff also helped me order delivery from Lou Malnati's and arranged for the delivery guy to bring it straight up to our room.

This mini-review is pretty Gold-lounge-heavy because we spent more time at the hotel than anticipated due to the flu. Being able to spend the time at the Gold lounge was so much better than being cooped up in a room.

All-in-all, we found it to be a great stay and an absolute steal at the rate we booked.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 4:26 am
HAT

Programs: BA, IHG, Hyatt
Staying here in April, thinking of booking a Gold room with lounge access. Not sure it's worth it though. Is the Gold lounge any good? Food, drinks? Cheers!
Old Feb 6, 2016, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Saash
Staying here in April, thinking of booking a Gold room with lounge access. Not sure it's worth it though. Is the Gold lounge any good? Food, drinks? Cheers!
Gold floor drinks are honor system, not complimentary. However, this hotel has a nice liquor / beer / wine selection.

The view from this Gold Floor is good, if you appreciate that during your time there.

Breakfast is good, nice variety. 'Dinner' / Hors d'oeuvre is good as well - we stop by here early evening, and the go out of the hotel to dine later. I guess you could make a dinner out of it if you really wanted to. Later in the evening a nice selection of desserts.

If it is a $50 difference in room price, I would definitely go for it. If the differential is $150 per night, then I would not go for it.

The staff on the Gold floor is also friendly and helpful.

PS We have only ever stayed on the Gold Floor (or had access) during our stays here. Either with a Gold upgrade cert, or paying the difference, it has always worked out for us and we have not been disappointed / felt we did not get good value.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 1:25 am
HAT

Programs: BA, IHG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Gold floor drinks are honor system, not complimentary. However, this hotel has a nice liquor / beer / wine selection.

The view from this Gold Floor is good, if you appreciate that during your time there.

Breakfast is good, nice variety. 'Dinner' / Hors d'oeuvre is good as well - we stop by here early evening, and the go out of the hotel to dine later. I guess you could make a dinner out of it if you really wanted to. Later in the evening a nice selection of desserts.

If it is a $50 difference in room price, I would definitely go for it. If the differential is $150 per night, then I would not go for it.

The staff on the Gold floor is also friendly and helpful.

PS We have only ever stayed on the Gold Floor (or had access) during our stays here. Either with a Gold upgrade cert, or paying the difference, it has always worked out for us and we have not been disappointed / felt we did not get good value.
Thanks for your comment!

I'm quite surprised they don't offer evening drinks in the lounge [for free]. Thought it's a standard thing for a Gold lounge; it's a very first Fairmont property I'm staying at in the US though, so probably it's different there.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Saash
Thanks for your comment!

I'm quite surprised they don't offer evening drinks in the lounge [for free]. Thought it's a standard thing for a Gold lounge; it's a very first Fairmont property I'm staying at in the US though, so probably it's different there.
Unfortunately none of the Gold lounges in North America offer free alcoholic beverages; it's only the few Gold lounges outside NA where this is the case (and I'm not even sure this is true at all properties).
Old Feb 7, 2016, 9:25 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
I'm beginning to warm up to this property

This is my third stay since November. This time I did stay on the Gold Floor and it was very nice. I had a corner room, which was in great shape and had fabulous views. I completely concur with the post further up about the Gold Lounge and especially the staff. A very nice experience if it is priced sensibly.

The Platinum amenity was a delightful chocolate cake, exactly like I like it. The best amenity I have had at any Fairmont, except the Pailliser.

The "gastropub" restaurant is still in construction, but it does not affect the lobby with noise or dust. If you did not know there was a restaurant before you would not even notice it.

What I thought was helpful and hopeful was as a Platinum, quite a few staff and managers asked candid questions about how they compare to other Fairmonts and what they could do better. ^ I gave them my honest but respectful comments. All well taken. Good sign.

I'm convinced enough I've booked my next two stays in Chicago there.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 9:27 pm

An update:

Third time stay on the Gold Floor. Twice in two weeks.

The new Gastropub is called Columbus Tap. I was there for opening night. Surprisingly informal for a city center Fairmont. Nice decor. The menu was interesting and the food was spot on.. I'm not a beer drinker, but my guests liked the selection. No opening night disasters spotted and they held my table for late arriving guests.

The Millennium Room next door is now the dedicated breakfast restaurant. I've not eaten there, but I did walk through and liked the layout and decor.

The Gold lounge is very nice with great views. The staff is super friendly and helpful. Example: I left the do not disturb sign on my door and asked in the early evening if someone could do a tidy up. Housekeeping was there in less than five minutes.

On this visit, both the breakfast and evening offerings were tops and elegantly presented. Very satisfied on this count. ^

Already booked May and June visits.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Occupancy around Christmas must be light, and/or it's my lucky day...had booked the cheapest room possible and applied my suite upgrade. Arrived and found out I was put in one of the Grand Suites on the top floor (37th)...this is way larger than my apartment in NYC and is extremely well-appointed. I would be okay with not leaving this room the next couple of days that we are here.

What a great surprise and Christmas treat!
Old Dec 28, 2023, 1:09 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, All Accor Platinum
Maybe I did not search properly, but has anyone recently stayed in this hotel?
we are planning some nights in Chicago (2 rooms) next summer and as a Diamond member I am not sure which Accor hotel is the best choice in Chicago regarding upgrades or benefits as a Diamond. I have never stayed at any Fairmont before and only know the European or Asian Sofitels. In the US I mostly used hotels of IHG.
The last entry here is of 2016 which is rather long ago. Maybe someone stayed there recently and can help a bit
Old Feb 27, 2024, 12:29 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50k, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by A300flyer
Maybe I did not search properly, but has anyone recently stayed in this hotel?
we are planning some nights in Chicago (2 rooms) next summer and as a Diamond member I am not sure which Accor hotel is the best choice in Chicago regarding upgrades or benefits as a Diamond. I have never stayed at any Fairmont before and only know the European or Asian Sofitels. In the US I mostly used hotels of IHG.
The last entry here is of 2016 which is rather long ago. Maybe someone stayed there recently and can help a bit
Stayed there recently for a quick business overnight, rate was a steal and hotel seemed mostly empty. Had a high-floor king room, great views, and in general a convenient location for downtown. Decor in general is a little dated but appears they've been updating periodically (furniture didn't appear overly worn) so could just be the Fairmont style. Gym was of average size for a hotel this large and in the basement, but good selection of cardio equipment mostly newer Technogym machines, could have used more in the way of weights or floor space. Other than checkin did not interact with staff but they were friendly and efficient. Not offered welcome drink, didn't bother pushing since it was a late arrival and early departure for me. I would stay there again for what I paid, but not sure it's worth the price it seems to generally go for on weekends or in high season.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.