Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Fairmont | Fairmont Presidents Club
Reload this Page >

Exciting News Announcement from Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Exciting News Announcement from Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2015, 7:39 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
"Exciting News Announcement from Fairmont Hotels & Resorts"
Well, I am not excited at all
Accor has some very good hotels (some Sofitel and M Gallery) but their program still have a long way to go to be as good as SPG or Hyatt, let alone FPC.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Just made status in FPC for the first time this year. Hopefully I get my certs/upgrades for 2016 so I can enjoy it?...
Old Dec 9, 2015, 7:45 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Just made status in FPC for the first time this year. Hopefully I get my certs/upgrades for 2016 so I can enjoy it?...
I am not concerned for 2016 at all.
But it may be the last year to enjoy the FPC benefits...
Old Dec 9, 2015, 8:27 pm

Programs: IC Spire Amb, RC Plat, Shangri-La GC, and more.
Ha! Got the Fairmont email this morning and *knew* there would be a great thread on FT when I came home.

I'm not sure how so many are so certain this will be the demise of Fairmont and/or FPC. I'm not familiar with Accor, but acquisitions are not always what they seem. This could be a flip rather than an absorption - or Fairmont could be held as an independent subsidiary.

A couple of items I've observed:

The UK press doesn't seem to know Fairmont - Raffles is the brand most mentioned in the press.

This would end any Canadian (OMERS) ownership of the historic 'railway hotels'.

My thought:

While hoping for the best and fearing the worst - let's remember the role of individual property owners. The major properties likely have the right to depart the flag if they don't like what's going on. Great hotels will remain great hotels.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 9:12 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by FrenchLaundry
This would end any Canadian (OMERS) ownership of the historic 'railway hotels'.
Well, not entirely, since OMERS are the present owners of the Banff Springs, Chateau Lake Louise and the Jasper Park Lodge (in addition to some other current Fairmont managed properties that weren't among the original railway hotels).

A Quebec pension plan, through Ivanhoe Cambridge, also owns a number of the historic railway hotels, including the Chateau Frontenac and the Queen Elizabeth, and a portion of the Royal York.

While hoping for the best and fearing the worst - let's remember the role of individual property owners. The major properties likely have the right to depart the flag if they don't like what's going on. Great hotels will remain great hotels.
Quite right. The sale of FRHI, which is really just a management company, won't affect the ownership of the individual properties. Of all of the hotels in the Fairmont, Swissotel and Raffles portfolio, only one is actually owned by FRHI.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 9:22 pm

Programs: A3*G, Fairmont Pl, Accor Pl, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by YEG USER
I've really enjoyed having my Amex Plat card the past 10 years, but I suspect that card is about to become much less valuable to me. While Amex has Accor Platinum as a benefit one of the main reasons I get this card is the ability to confirm suite upgrades with Fairmont in advance. I doubt this benefit will stay, which means I might consider giving up my Platinum card, which means good bye to some other perks too.
I don't want to hijack the thread - but I thought that was a really interesting comment that got me thinking - I am curious to see what Amex does for the Plat Card in Canada. As a result of the mergers recently announced - they will be losing the SPG Gold Benefit and the Fairmont Platinum benefit. I think they will have to come up with something else pretty fast to compensate or risk losing people. I think Amex Plat US just got Hilton status added - maybe that is the preview of what is coming in Canada.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 9:27 pm

Programs: *G
I've stayed with both Accor (mostly Ibis) and Fairmont, but the Fairmont President's Club is way ahead of Accor. In fact, after my last Accor stay, which their program would not recognize, I vowed to stop using them. So I saw this merger announcement with great regret. Vale Fairmont, and particularly the great old Canadian hotels.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 10:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
acquisitions are not always what they seem.
I've been involved in several (both as the acquirer and the acquired), and you're right. They're universally worse than they seem.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 12:54 am
HAT

Programs: BA, IHG, Hyatt
Not exciting news. I have a dreadful experience staying at Accor properties. Now thinking about cancelling my stay at Fairmont Bab Al Bahr Abu Dhabi next week.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
This is terrible news.

Even IHG would have been better than Accor, at least from a customer perspective. While Accor has some nice properties (mainly Sofitel), their loyalty program is rather mediocre.

Based on the number of members in each program I guess it is only a metter of time until the FPC program is discontinued.

RIP Fairmont.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 4:49 am

Programs: Free Agent
My Accor CS and front line interactions have been terrible to the point that I will stay in any place but an Accor affiliated facility; and the 'we don't care' when I have provided feedback is not a great harbinger of things to come...
Old Dec 10, 2015, 5:19 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
easy problem to solve

Originally Posted by MB24
I just made Fairmont Plat too. Here's hoping the programmes don't integrate until 2017 so I can get a full year's run as a FPC Plat.....
This "problem" is easy to solve. Simply call the PLAT line and book your free night now. Can be booked anytime up to Feb 2017. My personal favourites:
- The Savoy (I am booked for next Feb);
- The Plaza (search now for available dates);
- Singapore (Raffles is nearby!)
- St. Andrew's (scenic side trip visiting Edinburgh).
Old Dec 10, 2015, 7:05 am

Programs: Aeroplan, FPC Platinum, SPG/Marriott Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, BW Diamond Select
Originally Posted by stimpy
In the Accor forum many are impressed. But as there are nearly 4000 new hotels that you will be exposed to, and have status at, you can certainly assume that some are good and some not so good. It's your choice if you want to try them or not.
One of the key benefits we've enjoyed with Fairmont is guaranteed upgrades to suites, not hoping on a wing and a prayer that some front desk clerk will see fit to maybe give us one when we check in rather than just lie about availability. We have forged travel plans around several destinations in the world based on that benefit alone.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Shenanigans
One of the key benefits we've enjoyed with Fairmont is guaranteed upgrades to suites, not hoping on a wing and a prayer that some front desk clerk will see fit to maybe give us one when we check in rather than just lie about availability. We have forged travel plans around several destinations in the world based on that benefit alone.
Same with Platinum at Sofitel. Read the experiences thread. Almost always a suite upgrade. However if a hotel is sold out and there are no suites, then there are no suites.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 8:00 am

Programs: IC Spire Amb, RC Plat, Shangri-La GC, and more.
Originally Posted by CanadaDH
Well, not entirely, since OMERS are the present owners of the Banff Springs, Chateau Lake Louise and the Jasper Park Lodge (in addition to some other current Fairmont managed properties that weren't among the original railway hotels).

A Quebec pension plan, through Ivanhoe Cambridge, also owns a number of the historic railway hotels, including the Chateau Frontenac and the Queen Elizabeth, and a portion of the Royal York.
Thank you. I stand corrected.

An aside on local hotel property ownership - in San Francisco, the Fairmont and Intercontinental Mark Hopkins across the street from one another share the same owners. But I wouldn't know that if I hadn't read it. On the other hand, the Ritz-Carlton property nearby has room furnishings that are nearly identical to those of the Fairmont - a shared supplier or designer? I'm not sure why they would want that. Some are the very same pieces in different shades. On a stay, I kept thinking I was as the Fairmont.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.