Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Fairmont | Fairmont Presidents Club
Reload this Page >

Discussion: Fairmont Daily Getaways offer (Hawaii Properties or Scottsdale)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2015, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Hi All -

Just looking through the various Daily Getaways offers, and saw one from Fairmont.

Curious how many people would bite on these offers. Why, or why not?

Thanks!

Lark

https://dailygetaways.ustravel.org/Calendar.aspx?week=4

Hawaii
$1,780.00 (Estimated Value: $2,600)

What you Receive: Six Ovation Rewards certificates each redeemable for a 1 night stay and breakfast for 2 at your choice of two Fairmont Hawaii Properties. Certificates may be combined for one use or used separately at guest’s discretion.

By purchasing this offer, you will receive six 1-night “Ovation Rewards” certificates that can be used in combination for a 6-night stay, or for separate reservations. EACH certificate includes a stay at your choice of property:
- The Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui (an all-suites hotel)
- The Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii

Each certificate is valid for 1 night in a standard room (at The Fairmont Orchid) or 1 night in a standard suite type room (at The Fairmont Kea Lani). Single/double occupancy.
Certificate includes breakfast for 2 each morning in the hotel’s all-day dining restaurant. Breakfast excludes alcoholic beverages.
Certificate covers room and tax, as well as tax and gratuities of included breakfasts. Additional expenses and incidentals are the responsibility of the guest.
Limited blackout dates may apply.
There is no expiration date for this certificate.

Scottsdale

Price: $610 (Estimated Value: $1,000)

What you Receive: Three Ovations Rewards Certificates each redeemable for a 1 night stay and breakfast for 2 at The Fairmont Scottsdale Princess in Arizona. Certificates may be combined for one use or used for separate reservations at guest’s discretion.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
<$300/night incl. breakfast is a pretty solid deal at the Kea Lani IMO, I'd be more hesitant to spend that amount at the Orchid, although rates there have been much higher there lately than they were just ~2 years ago.

~$200/night incl. breakfast is an excellent rate at the Fairmont Scottsdale during peak season and a terrible deal during off-season. Rates for a Fairmont room range form $130-$450+ depending on season.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 5:29 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Do you have to use the Ovation rewards certificates at those hotels or anywhere you want ? Generally Daily gateways offers are points or certificates you can use as you want (even if they said "one night there"...)
Old Mar 27, 2015, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

I cut and paste from the site, and posted a link.

They are ovation certificates, but it says they are good for the Hawaii properties.

I guess my real reason for starting this thread is to hear other people's stories: Are you going to buy them? Why?

We may buy the Scottsdale package - we're planning to attend spring training next February and this offer would save us money. My partner prefers the Ritz though, so would have to make sure the princess is 'good enough' (in my opinion, it will be).

Go (World Champion) Giants!
Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:05 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
I cut and paste from the site, and posted a link.

They are ovation certificates, but it says they are good for the Hawaii properties.

I guess my real reason for starting this thread is to hear other people's stories: Are you going to buy them? Why?

We may buy the Scottsdale package - we're planning to attend spring training next February and this offer would save us money. My partner prefers the Ritz though, so would have to make sure the princess is 'good enough' (in my opinion, it will be).

Go (World Champion) Giants!
A bit OT but the Fairmont Scottsdale is a very big resort, with ok rooms (a bit dated IMO), very nice pool and excellent spa.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 1:08 am

Are these just Fairmont Ovation Category B and C certificates? If so it'd be a LOT more flexible.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 12:13 pm

Programs: IC Spire Amb, RC Plat, Shangri-La GC, and more.
Originally Posted by yerffej201
Are these just Fairmont Ovation Category B and C certificates? If so it'd be a LOT more flexible.
Each certificate (“Ovation Rewards Certificate”) is valid at properties included in the collection noted on the front of the certificate (The Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui and The Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii). Specific hotel participation is subject to change without notice.
The way that reads - my interpretation would be no, this is a more restricted cert.

Curious how many people would bite on these offers. Why, or why not?
No expiration ^, yet blackout dates .

For me, no - blackout dates plus "hotel participation subject to change" casts too many doubts. I'd hate to have $1780 of certificates that I couldn't use as I expect and wish. I'm in the position of having limited vacation time, so I'd prefer more certainty about being able to redeem.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 5:50 am

I'll report. I got in for the Hawaii version of this last year. The description was exactly the same as this year's, and I was planning on gifting them to my parents for their 40th anniversary. They are straight up Ovation C Certificates with no restrictions. How do I know? Because I bought the Hawaii package and my parents decided to use them in Scottsdale and had no problems. The rooms were going for $650-700 per night, so they still got "half price" rooms and decent value.

Anyway, they come in a little folded Ovation Certificate holder, they come with a list of the various property levels, and they do not mention Hawaii specifically at all. Depending on how you actually value the various properties and their room rates, I think they are a good deal and will attempt to buy them again. Paying under $300 a night including breakfast, for most of the Fairmonts is a sale, especially at peak season. For example, the Fairmont Montreux is very often 600 CHF or more per night. Breakfast there is also not cheap. Use 5 certs and your free suite upgrade (from your status) to stay in a suite for under $300.

If you stay in Fairmonts, I think they are a good deal.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by niehaubs
I'll report. I got in for the Hawaii version of this last year. The description was exactly the same as this year's, and I was planning on gifting them to my parents for their 40th anniversary. They are straight up Ovation C Certificates with no restrictions. How do I know? Because I bought the Hawaii package and my parents decided to use them in Scottsdale and had no problems. The rooms were going for $650-700 per night, so they still got "half price" rooms and decent value.

Anyway, they come in a little folded Ovation Certificate holder, they come with a list of the various property levels, and they do not mention Hawaii specifically at all. Depending on how you actually value the various properties and their room rates, I think they are a good deal and will attempt to buy them again. Paying under $300 a night including breakfast, for most of the Fairmonts is a sale, especially at peak season. For example, the Fairmont Montreux is very often 600 CHF or more per night. Breakfast there is also not cheap. Use 5 certs and your free suite upgrade (from your status) to stay in a suite for under $300.

If you stay in Fairmonts, I think they are a good deal.
Did you have any issues with the blackout dates?

Blackout dates (the fact that they are not clear when these are, unless I missed it) would be my remaining concern.

Thanks for the information!
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:31 pm

My parents booked it. I'll have to see if there was something about the blackout dates. Otherwise, I don't know.

My understanding is that there are no blackout dates. The Getaway site says they "may" apply, and the ovation website says certs are good to the last room (in the category of the cert), no blackout dates.

[edit: finally looked at what I received] Sorry for the delay, it's been a busy day. The certs do not mention blackout days at all and specifically refer the terms to the terms on the ovations website, which as noted above, say no blackout dates.

Last edited by niehaubs; Mar 31, 2015 at 1:34 pm
Old Apr 2, 2015, 7:51 pm

My parents booked it. I'll have to see if there was something about the blackout dates. Otherwise, I don't know.

My understanding is that there are no blackout dates. The Getaway site says they "may" apply, and the ovation website says certs are good to the last room (in the category of the cert), no blackout dates.

[edit: finally looked at what I received] Sorry for the delay, it's been a busy day. The certs do not mention blackout days at all and specifically refer the terms to the terms on the ovations website, which as noted above, say no blackout dates.
Was it hard for you to get the certificate last year? It says there is only 10 available?

Also, do you know what is the charge if we plan to have more than 2 adults in the suite at Kea Lani?

Thanks
Old Apr 20, 2015, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Today's the day if anybody is going to buy these!

I am not intending to buy either package, but only because I decided to book the Fairmont Scottsdale directly. (4 night stay, I was able to book a regular room and apply my gold upgrade certificate, which moves us to a gold suite. Prime time, a weekend during Spring Training 2016.)

So, I guess the Daily Getaway's had the desired result with me of raising my awareness of a property.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 11:50 am

Today's the day if anybody is going to buy these!

I am not intending to buy either package, but only because I decided to book the Fairmont Scottsdale directly. (4 night stay, I was able to book a regular room and apply my gold upgrade certificate, which moves us to a gold suite. Prime time, a weekend during Spring Training 2016.)

So, I guess the Daily Getaway's had the desired result with me of raising my awareness of a property.
I tried right at 1 pm but had no chance. How do people get these offers to go through?
Old Apr 23, 2015, 10:28 am

Just as a follow up, it has been what, 3 days since the Getaway deal? I got in for the "Scottsdale" offer right at 1 PM because 3 certs for $203 each will be a good deal when I redeem them.

I received this via FedEx yesterday. 3 standard ovation certs, level B, a fold out Ovation/Fairmont brochure, and a printed white paper with the breakdown on what properties are in what level. Even though we have to wait another year, I think we can all consider this confirmed you do NOT have to go to the destinations the Getaway calls out.

20150423_121329 by niehaubs, on Flickr
Old Apr 27, 2015, 4:44 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
Even though we have to wait another year, I think we can all consider this confirmed you do NOT have to go to the destinations the Getaway calls out.
Flickr
thanks for reporting. It maybe a dumb question but I'll ask. Do you know if ovation cert is considered a paid stay and you can apply the third night free certificate?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.