Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Fairmont | Fairmont Presidents Club
Reload this Page >

What is "Authentically Local Food Experiences"

Old Mar 20, 2015, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

I chose that option. When I checked into the Royal York, I asked what it would get me. They told me "an appetizer". Seems small though.

Is there any published definition of what the scope of this is supposed to be?
Old Mar 20, 2015, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
I don't think any information has been made available other than the info posted when making the selection which reads:

"AUTHENTICALLY LOCAL FOOD EXPERIENCE FOR TWO
Treat yourself and a guest to an authentically local food experience and taste the fresh and seasonal dishes your destination has to offer. Upon confirming your selection, an e-certificate will be added to your online profile."

...which obviously is pretty vague.

Afaik most Fairmont properties will offer a main course (and some even a multi-course meal, but that's probably the exception), an appetizer indeed doesn't sound too impressive.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 11:46 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
- Orchid = 3 course meal - apps, pork steaks and dessert. That's what it got me last year if I'm not mistaken. Delicious!
Old Mar 23, 2015, 3:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Last year, which was just a Locally Authentic Experience, not an experience for TWO, got me an exceptional meal at the Banff Springs, Grapes Wine Bar.

They gave us a cheese fondue ($42) and a Charcuterie Board ($36). It was exceptional.
totti likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 4:22 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
This is probably a useful thread to maintain what people have received, so anybody planning on redeeming one has an idea of what to expect at various properties.

I also used one at Banff Springs (2 years ago) at the Banffshire Club. All they did there was allow us to order the 3 course meal for the price of 2. It was for 2 people. Not horrible value considering the price of Banffshire Club, but nothing unique either.

About 3 years ago, I used one at Jasper Park Lodge. We ate at Cavell's, and the chef met with us the day before to discuss our tastes. They gave us a special table by the front window and we ordered what we wanted from the menu, and had to pay for that, but they did make it a real local experience. The chef came out (personally) with an additional small dish between every course, with a custom local enhancement to our meal. I really enjoyed that and appreciated the thought that went into it.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 3:59 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Fairmont Platinum
@ Kea Lani it was a large steak and seafood plate per person. Value about 45$ per person based on similiar items on the menu.

You usually get much better value at the resort destinations than the business ones.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 9:17 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by allbrosca
- Orchid = 3 course meal - apps, pork steaks and dessert. That's what it got me last year if I'm not mistaken. Delicious!
Above post made me remember that we also got seafood - shrimps!
Old Mar 31, 2015, 6:17 am

Programs: Amex Centurion, BA silver, Aegean Gold, Delta Gold, Fairmont Platinum, Hilton Diamond
We used the local food experience last year at the Savoy in London. They were not very aware of it despite me having emailed Kaspar's the day before. It turned out that there was nothing that wasn't charged for on the bill but the food was very good. We ate with our 22 year old daughter.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 5:33 pm

Programs: BA silver
Originally Posted by JBee
We used the local food experience last year at the Savoy in London. They were not very aware of it despite me having emailed Kaspar's the day before. It turned out that there was nothing that wasn't charged for on the bill but the food was very good. We ate with our 22 year old daughter.
So, they charged you for everything you had? Did they tell you what you would get for the "experience" in advance? Was the certificate removed from your account?
Old Apr 3, 2015, 5:29 pm

Programs: CX, Marriott
In Feb'15, I used it at Oru at the Fairmont Pacific Rim in Vancouver, it was for 2 entrees off.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 12:16 pm

Location: x-17 yr AC*SE100 1MM, now E50 Gold :(, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, Yadayadayada

Tried to use mine last week at Fairmont Sanur - Bali but they weren't sure what it meant either. They referred me to a cooking class they had but I had just taken the one day Bumbu Bali cooking class so I just said thanks and used my dining certs for a 'romantic meal' in a small cabana at the beachfront. Was wonderful service and experience, but I was hoping to use the 'Authentic Local Food Experience' for something unique while we were there.
Old May 1, 2015, 1:08 am
R2

We used it last year at Fairmont Makati in Manila. When I asked the front desk what it would include it took them a good 30 minutes to find out. We were then offered the full buffet dinner at the main restaurant. It was very good with lots of choice (local and international) and the usual price is approx PHP 3000 (USD 75) or so per person.
Old May 2, 2015, 11:56 am

As a data point, I emailed both Empress (Victoria) and YVR regarding the Authentically Local Food Experiences as I'll be in both places later this month and have not yet selected my Platinum benefits.

Empress said the cert gets you a "specially created, beautiful dessert tier, inspired by our famous Afternoon Tea. This includes a generous selection of pastries for which we are well-known, as well as coffee or tea for two."

Globe, no response, but I did find this other comment in a different thread that looks promising! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24442830-post26.html
Old May 17, 2015, 3:21 am

Programs: Leaders Unlimited,Fairmont Platinum,SLH Loved,IC Ambassador
No-one had heart of the ALDE in the Fairmont Monaco and an hour of negotiation got 2 mains (60€) knocked off our bill, I would reccommend using them elsewhere!
Old May 27, 2015, 1:13 pm

I can confirm the YVR still offers a full meal experience for this certificate. We were there on the weekend and the sous chef came over to discuss our preferences. We were offered two beet (greens) salads, truffle fries (asked specifically for them and expected to pay, but did not! ^ ), sable fish main dish, and a chocolate dessert + apple pastry. Not a bad deal at all, but questionable if the $100 US wouldn't have been a better deal yet with the exchange rate as it is right now. Still, very impressed with the meal!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.