FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fairmont | Fairmont Presidents Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/fairmont-fairmont-presidents-club-661/)
-   -   strange experience today: upgraded and downgraded again (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/fairmont-fairmont-presidents-club/1485682-strange-experience-today-upgraded-downgraded-again.html)

Jasper2009 Jul 17, 2013 8:23 am

strange experience today: upgraded and downgraded again

I just arrived at the Fairmont Zimbali Resort and had a strange experience:

I checked the res in my profile this morning at the airport and was pleasantly surprised to see that I had been upgraded to a "Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite (88sqm.)". What a nice surprise!^

However, at check-in I was informed that I had been upgraded to a Deluxe Sea View room (I had booked a Deluxe room). I mentioned that I had seen the Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite in my booking this morning, but the agent told me she couldnīt see that and that I had been upgraded to a Deluxe Sea View room.

Now Iīm not the person to make a big fuss about not getting a free upgrade (even when it previously appeared in my res), but Iīm still wondering: What the heck happened here? Has anyone had a similar experience before?

kokinos Jul 17, 2013 11:52 am

Probably a last minute revenue guest wanted a suite or the guest in the suite extended his stay by a night.

But I haven't seen that happen since around 2010 and it was always a nice surprise seeing it online. Never got the downgrade after I saw it though. Lately when using suite upgrades online the room still shows as "Fairmont room" even though I confirmed a suite with FPC.

Enjoy your stay Jasper!

Jasper2009 Jul 17, 2013 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by kokinos (Post 21113422)
Probably a last minute revenue guest wanted a suite or the guest in the suite extended his stay by a night.

Thatīs what crossed my mind, too, but thatīs not the case as the exact suite (as well as some other suites) is showing as available on the Fairmont website.:confused:

LarkSFO Jul 17, 2013 8:17 pm

You sound like you behave similar to me in this situation...

But, this is one case where I may ask to speak to a supervisor or manager, to nicely explain the situation and see if I may get that suite back.

Looking forward to hearing your report on Zimbali!

AM6449 Jul 17, 2013 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009 (Post 21112073)
I just arrived at the Fairmont Zimbali Resort and had a strange experience:

I checked the res in my profile this morning at the airport and was pleasantly surprised to see that I had been upgraded to a "Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite (88sqm.)". What a nice surprise!^

However, at check-in I was informed that I had been upgraded to a Deluxe Sea View room (I had booked a Deluxe room). I mentioned that I had seen the Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite in my booking this morning, but the agent told me she couldnīt see that and that I had been upgraded to a Deluxe Sea View room.

Now Iīm not the person to make a big fuss about not getting a free upgrade (even when it previously appeared in my res), but Iīm still wondering: What the heck happened here? Has anyone had a similar experience before?

Did you get an e-mail about the upgrade or did you just notice it online?

Jasper2009 Jul 18, 2013 3:20 am

Originally Posted by AM6449 (Post 21116373)
Did you get an e-mail about the upgrade or did you just notice it online?

Just saw it online - you never receive an e-mail for comp. upgrades (vs. upgrades using certs).

It used to be a standard feature to see the room in which you were actually staying (vs the one booked) online, in 2011 and 2012 that feature seemed to be deactivated as only the originally booked room was displayed (even when having upgraded using certs) and since this spring the feature seems to have been enabled again.

AM6449 Jul 18, 2013 7:30 am

Originally Posted by Jasper2009 (Post 21117421)
Just saw it online - you never receive an e-mail for comp. upgrades (vs. upgrades using certs).

It used to be a standard feature to see the room in which you were actually staying (vs the one booked) online, in 2011 and 2012 that feature seemed to be deactivated as only the originally booked room was displayed (even when having upgraded using certs) and since this spring the feature seems to have been enabled again.

Thanks. I didn't realize how it works. I got an e-mail about an upgrade once, but now that I think about it... it must have come from the hotel directly.

If I were you, I definitely would have asked the front office manager (in a nice way) why you would have been upgraded then downgraded

Jasper2009 Jul 18, 2013 8:28 am

update

I sent an e-mail to the manager and received a response in less than an hour.^

Still no idea what happened to the res, but they moved me to a Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite located in one of the villas (which accommodate 4-6 suites each I believe) which is very nice and has a nice, large patio overlooking the ocean. The layout of the suite and size (approx 90sqm./1000sq.ft.) seems to be identical with the Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite / Deluxe Garden Suite in the main building I stayed in on previous stays; see the Zimbali Resort thread for details).

Overall very impressed with how this was handled.^

AM6449 Jul 20, 2013 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Jasper2009 (Post 21118523)
I sent an e-mail to the manager and received a response in less than an hour.^

Still no idea what happened to the res, but they moved me to a Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite located in one of the villas (which accommodate 4-6 suites each I believe) which is very nice and has a nice, large patio overlooking the ocean. The layout of the suite and size (approx 90sqm./1000sq.ft.) seems to be identical with the Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite / Deluxe Garden Suite in the main building I stayed in on previous stays; see the Zimbali Resort thread for details).

Overall very impressed with how this was handled.^

Sounds like an amazing room! I'm glad they took care of you :D

Jasper2009 Jul 20, 2013 8:32 am

Originally Posted by AM6449 (Post 21129271)
Sounds like an amazing room! I'm glad they took care of you :D

Yes, the room indeed is nice.:) Though to be honest I wouldnīt hesitate to recommend any of the Deluxe One-Bedroom suites, whether they are located in the main building or in the villas.

Ancien Maestro Jul 28, 2013 11:49 pm

Glad to hear that the hotel made it right. When that happens to me and I see it online I would keep a screen open on my phone showing details especially morning of the arrival.

Montreux Palace tried to downgrade me and I had a printout of the reservation. Even after the stay Fairmont contacted and hassled me. Surprisingly that's the first time I've ever been contacted by Fairmont hassling me about a reservation I have a printout of. The printout is a safeguard and the reservation was honoured, but the hassling from Fairmont has made me switch much of my business to Hyatt. So we'll see how Fairmont evolves in my bookings the next couple of years.

jlisi984 Jul 30, 2013 1:16 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro (Post 21174533)
Glad to hear that the hotel made it right. When that happens to me and I see it online I would keep a screen open on my phone showing details especially morning of the arrival.

Montreux Palace tried to downgrade me and I had a printout of the reservation. Even after the stay Fairmont contacted and hassled me. Surprisingly that's the first time I've ever been contacted by Fairmont hassling me about a reservation I have a printout of. The printout is a safeguard and the reservation was honoured, but the hassling from Fairmont has made me switch much of my business to Hyatt. So we'll see how Fairmont evolves in my bookings the next couple of years.

Plus Hyatt's are much nicer hotels IMO! ;)

Jasper2009 Jul 30, 2013 4:35 am

Originally Posted by jlisi984 (Post 21181008)

It seems youīre staying at the wrong Fairmont hotels.;)

Granted, Hyatt is my second favourite major loyalty program and there are some very nice Park Hyatts out there.

MSPeconomist Jul 30, 2013 4:44 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro (Post 21174533)

I also always try to print a copy when I see that I've been upgraded. Sometimes the chain's computerized reservation system permits you to send yourself an email of the confirmation showing the current upgraded room type, but this doesn't always work so a hard copy printout is better if you have access to a printer. I wish there were a good solution from an iPad if the email option doesn't work to show the upgrade.

Ancien Maestro Jul 30, 2013 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 21181459)
I also always try to print a copy when I see that I've been upgraded. Sometimes the chain's computerized reservation system permits you to send yourself an email of the confirmation showing the current upgraded room type, but this doesn't always work so a hard copy printout is better if you have access to a printer. I wish there were a good solution from an iPad if the email option doesn't work to show the upgrade.

Good call on the email. If it works, it acts as a hard copy in the phone and computer. Confirmation is so important as every 2 or 3 reservations it seems something quirky can potentially happen.

Originally Posted by jlisi984 (Post 21181008)

Originally Posted by Jasper2009 (Post 21181442)
It seems youīre staying at the wrong Fairmont hotels.;)

Granted, Hyatt is my second favourite major loyalty program and there are some very nice Park Hyatts out there.

I'm still a Hyatt Newbie, but securing a suite for minus $200 at Orange County steps from Disneyland, receiving comp brekkie full buffet for adults and kids and self parking just makes me shake my head. And I didn't even use an upgrade to get the suite. Paid for it on the suites on sale promo. Earned enough points on this stay for almost 3 suite upgrades for 4 nights each.

Plus currently at Grand Hyatt Kauai for 14 nights and get lounge access, spa access, suite, cabana amenity.. The grounds are incredible beyond description, with a great games room, movie night for kids. I was so impressed with my first 2 nights at Grand Hyatt Kauai that I booked another 21 nights to come back next year. I'm still going to visit the Orchid and Kea Lani but I feel I've been living in the dark ages for years and didn't realize it.