Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to use all those dining certs?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2013, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Where to use all those dining certs?

Thanks to the credit card, I have a healthy stack of $25 dining certs to use between now and July. What I don't have, due to a heavily booked schedule between now and then, is much flexibility on where to use them. I had been planning to take a couple of Bay Area friends to Sante at the Sonoma Mission Inn for dinner during a forthcoming stay there, but it's apparently closed for redo and I don't think I will want to get back there again that soon.
I have a couple of stays coming up at the Savoy, and could invite friends to join me for a meal there, but IIRC the certs are only usable at the River Restaurant, which I found rather fusty. I could justify a weekend in Toronto, Washington, Boston, or Newport Beach to see performances, but I have the impression that only Boston (the Battery Wharf one) has a decent restaurant, though come to think of it I know nothing of Newport Beach, so perhaps that one would work. I have no vacation time to spare this year, so even a long weekend (e.g., to Bermuda) is out. I COULD do a quick Friday night-Sunday afternoon trip to Quebec--I've wanted to stay at the Frontenac for quite some time--what's the restaurant there like?
Any suggestions, comments or recommendations would be appreciated.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:12 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Accor Diamond, Marriott Platinum
If you can do Newport Beach could you do Santa Monica? The restaurant there, FIG, is amazing...I think it was rated one of the best restaurants in LA a few years back. Sante in Sonoma is great...I wasn't aware of the redo - that's a shame. At least two of the restaurants at the Mayakoba are excellent as well...though perhaps too far?
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Thanks so much, politico! I could easily manage lunch at FIG, but probably, and preferably, dinner (which would be a better opportunity). Great idea.
But though Cancun is closer to home than CA, it somehow feels too rushed to go down there for a mere 36 hours--maybe because I've never been and there's all that sightseeing to do...
Does anyone have any comments on the restaurants in the San Francisco and Seattle Fairmonts?
Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum
The Tonga Room at the SF Fairmont is a pretty neat place to use your certs. It's definitely worth checking out. I don't remember being particularly wowed by the food, but for a free meal, I sure couldn't complain

I also just tried Shuckers at the Seattle Fairmont last week. I like oysters, but I love free oysters.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is anything in Scottsdale worth trying? We'll be at IC but with expiring vouchers in hand perhaps a visit to Fairmont for dining or spa would be worth it.

Thanks on Santa Monica suggestion - that's almost in the neighborhood.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 6:49 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Accor Diamond, Marriott Platinum
There's a really great restaurant at the Scottsdale Princess (La Hacienda - it's right beside the spa) that has a fantastic happy hour(s) every day where they do amazing margaritas and a number of different types of guacamole, as well as different sharing gourmet tacos. It was a great way to spend a couple hours...we actually made dinner out of it one evening while staying there and really enjoyed it. The willow stream spa there was also quite nice.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 3:04 pm

anyone ever use these certificates during a happy hour?
Old Feb 2, 2013, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by SeattleD
I was under the impression they were only lunch/dinner and excluded alcohol? Otherwise I'd have used mine all on afternoon teas already.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 8:37 am

Programs: FPC Platinum, Aeroplan
Don't know about happy hour but have definitely used them for afternoon tea before. For sure at Banff and Lake Louise, maybe at other spots too, I'm not sure.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 5:56 pm

I just was upgrade to premier by virtue of the chase card. My premier dining certs for 2012-13 are in my account but expire in a couple of days. How can I use them? I don't have the physical certs. If I go to lunch at a nearby Fairmont, what do I tell the waiter?
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:47 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Mostly they exclude alcohol, but unknowing front desk agents or new wait staff is unaware of that restriction and allow you to use them for whatever dining charges you have.

I typically order an appetizer and a few drinks
Old Feb 27, 2013, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by lkar
If I go to lunch at a nearby Fairmont, what do I tell the waiter?
I think if you let the front desk know before you go to the restaurant they can open some sort of tab for you even if you are not staying at the hotel and you can send your charges over to the front desk from the restaurant.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by SeattleD
I've used these $25 F&B certs during Happy Hour at 2 different restaurants at Fairmont Scottsdale (Bourbon Steak and The Grill @ TPC). No issues whatsoever.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 8:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
This year:

Fairmont Acapulco Princess
Fairmont Peace Hotel, Shanghai
Fairmont Royal York Hotel, Toronto

Last year:

Fairmont Pacific Rim, Vancouver
Fairmont Hotel Macdonald, Edmonton
Old Mar 3, 2013, 3:30 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
The Epic restaurant, in the Royal York (Toronto), is outstanding. If the OP would like to consider a weekend getaway to Toronto (theatre, baseball, whatever) I expect they would enjoy the hotel (in spite of nearby construction) and particularly the dining.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.