Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fairmont Chase Signature Card

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2017, 10:09 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Finkface
One can only get a sign up bonus if you have never had the card before.
The bonus is available if its been more than 24 months since you last had the bonus for all Chase cards, not never or ever.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 10:14 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by azepine00
They will convert into chase points - the letter is very clear on that
Crystal Clear if one reads. That person obviously did not and wants someone else to do the calling on top of it.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 11:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
One can only get a sign up bonus if you have never had the card before.
I'm not sure if that's true. I believe the actual restriction is that you cannot receive the signup bonus if you've ever received one before.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 12:16 am

It isn't the downgrading and annual fee rebate I am concerned with. It is the burning my chance for a future sign-up bonus for the CSP. One can only get a sign up bonus if you have never had the card before. If they automaticaly convert to a CSP, even if I downgrade/rebate immediately, I will have already 'had' the card and presumably can not get the sign up bonus in the future.
Originally Posted by mhdena
The bonus is available if its been more than 24 months since you last had the bonus for all Chase cards, not never or ever.
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I'm not sure if that's true. I believe the actual restriction is that you cannot receive the signup bonus if you've ever received one before.
Both M posters are right. The bolded is the rule for Amex cards, not the rule for Chase cards
Old Jun 18, 2017, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by lbotez
The card is discontinued. Wondering if there is an Accor card coming (but not from Chase, otherwise they would have substituted that card instead of their Chase Sapphire Preferred).

The Fairmont Kea Lani in Maui is awesome and all the rooms are 1 bedroom suites from what I recall. I went last year. If you are a Costco member, check out their travel package. It was totally cheaper than anywhere else. Even just getting the hotel (without airfare).
Certainly an all-suite hotel. Believe all rooms are minimum 860 sq ft. Staying there for 4 nights in early Oct. Looking forward to it as it sounds like a gorgeous property. It was only a Ghost Town when I was last at that particular beach in Maui, staying next door at the Andaz Maui Wailea. They literally had to shut the property down to do all the renovations. Something like 70 million worth if memory serves (often doesn't, so please someone correct me if needed).

For the Kea Lani, only had to use one suite upgrade for the entire stay. They said ocean view wasn't possible on free night certs using the suite upgrade cert. Without the suite upgrade cert, you get a garden view. With the suite upgrade cert, you can get a high floor mountain view--typically means parking lot, but who knows.

While I have no special status with FPC--other than via the Card That Shall No Longer Exist soon--I'm hoping capacity will be low in early Oct and the Upgrade Gods will look favorably upon us, bestowing us with a view of the ocean beyond just the check-in procedure at the lobby. :-) We shall see.

Those with elite FPC status obviously have a better chance of getting a high floor OV.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by gregorygrady
It's not very problematic to spend $12k. I can pop that out in a couple hours on Aug 1st via MS, and those charges would hit my CC by Aug 3rd or 4th at the latest.
I know this isn't an MS forum, but could you give a few MS examples that still work? My easy way of meeting 3K spends, paying mortgage via Plastiq, is now prohibited. Not really MS, but one of my go-to methods if I don't expect organic spend to meet a bonus threshold.

A 3K additional spend is all I'll need to do if I've read my letter correctly, since I got my Fairmont card last October and would have already spent at least 3K to get the free night certs. Trying to catch up on this thread. Hoping I don't need to make an additional 6K spend by August. Wife has a Fairmont CC, so she'll be doing the same as me.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by trey
You can downgrade to a Freedom card and use the UR points.
Can you downgrade the CSP directly to a Freedom, or must the path be CSP > no annual fee Sapphire > Freedom? I desperately want a Chase Freedom card, but I'm far over 5/24. I miss the quarterly multiplier bonus categories that I used to transfer the UR points amassed over to my CSP. I still have my original CSP, and it's typically my go-to card for unbonused spend. Though the BOA Travel Rewards card may become my new unbonused spend card if I can't get the Freedom.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: Everything
Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
I know this isn't an MS forum, but could you give a few MS examples that still work? My easy way of meeting 3K spends, paying mortgage via Plastiq, is now prohibited. Not really MS, but one of my go-to methods if I don't expect organic spend to meet a bonus threshold.

A 3K additional spend is all I'll need to do if I've read my letter correctly, since I got my Fairmont card last October and would have already spent at least 3K to get the free night certs. Trying to catch up on this thread. Hoping I don't need to make an additional 6K spend by August. Wife has a Fairmont CC, so she'll be doing the same as me.
While not MS, one way I do last minute spending is to prepay my utility bills or auto loan. The AT&T credit just stays on the account until it is whittled away. My combined AT&T cable, internet, phone bill is $300 per month. Auto loan prepayment resets my due date until a distant future date. Also purchasing grocery store GCs for future use. Of course, one needs the liquidity to do these methods.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
. I still have my original CSP, and it's typically my go-to card for unbonused spend.
You can PC your current CSP to a freedom, and keep the new CSP.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by HeavenlyJane
While not MS, one way I do last minute spending is to prepay my utility bills or auto loan. The AT&T credit just stays on the account until it is whittled away. My combined AT&T cable, internet, phone bill is $300 per month. Auto loan prepayment resets my due date until a distant future date. Also purchasing grocery store GCs for future use. Of course, one needs the liquidity to do these methods.
Thanks HJ. My wife does the utilities on her CC. I do my car payment--could do a few in advance, thanks for the tip. I also like to switch my auto insurance and umbrella policy every now and then for extra spend. Amica is great for this, since they offer 12 month auto policies you can pay fee-free by CC. But I'm with Amica now. I may go for Liberty Mutual or USAA (military in family). Hope they allow credit card payment, but likely will only offer 6 month policies. I'll still pay it all up front. GEICO's a possibility. Perhaps Allstate as well. Both take CCs for payment fee-free. But still likely only offer 6 month auto insurance policies.

I probably ought to take my homeowner's ins out of my mortgage's escrow and pay it myself annually with a CC. Too lazy so far to do that.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 1:42 pm

You can PC your current CSP to a freedom, and keep the new CSP.
Nice, thanks. Didn't think of going, quite literally, in the other direction with my current CSP.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 6:01 pm

No just apply for the CSP now, and when they PC your Fairmont, get a Freedom.
CSP showing up in my chase account today so I guess I was approved for the 50k bonus. I assume the Fairmont card will now become a Freedom for me.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 6:37 pm

So, for an upcoming Fairmont stay, this seems like it would definitely be the card to use, right? I typically prefer using CSR to get 3x than getting 5x Fairmont points using the Fairmont card, but now those 5x points for Fairmont spend turn into UR.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by lkar
So, for an upcoming Fairmont stay, this seems like it would definitely be the card to use, right? I typically prefer using CSR to get 3x than getting 5x Fairmont points using the Fairmont card, but now those 5x points for Fairmont spend turn into UR.
Yes, definitely the best card to use for Fairmont stays.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 11:22 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Moretimeoffguy, my auto insurance is by Liberty Mutual, which writes 12-month policies & takes 12-month upfront payments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.