Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fairmont Chase Signature Card

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:48 pm

I think if you spend the $12K and your anniversary date if before August 14th, you will get the 1-year free night certificate.

But if you got your card in say, January, by August 14th you won't have an entire year. So you will get the free night for $6K worth of spend. But the caveat is it's only good until the end of February.

I've given up on a second free night..
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Finkface
Seriously? That is in total contradiction to the letter which clearly says "If you spend at least $12k by August 14th, we will deposit a free night certificate into your profile on Fairmont.com either 6 weeks after your anniversary date or 8-10 weeks after August 14, whichever comes first. You can redeem this certificate up to one year after the date we issue it".
yep - i quoted the letter - they are very aware of it...

call fairmont and chase - cant hurt to have more datapoints...
Old Jul 12, 2017, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum

Anyone have luck converting the Fairmont points into ultimate rewards without converting into an ultimate rewards eligible card?
Old Jul 12, 2017, 7:34 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Originally Posted by BA_Jfan
Anyone have luck converting the Fairmont points into ultimate rewards without converting into an ultimate rewards eligible card?
I don't think that will be possible.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Rely

Originally Posted by oopl
I don't think that will be possible.
I had a feeling it wouldn't be. I don't want to product change to loose the opportunity for a sign up bonus but I don't want to loose the 3-4k points I have on the Fairmont card. Need to find something to do for them.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 7:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I don't want to product change to loose the opportunity for a sign up bonus
Getting the Sapphire card as a conversion will in no way jeopardize any future signup bonus.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 8:16 pm

Programs: All the programs!
I don't want to product change to loose the opportunity for a sign up bonus but I don't want to loose the 3-4k points I have on the Fairmont card.
This has been thoroughly discussed in this thread. Go back and read it.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Getting the Sapphire card as a conversion will in no way jeopardize any future signup bonus.
Decided to apply for the Sapphire Preferred anyway, so I got that out of my mind. Wanted the bonus, just in case they decide to change the rules. Will opt for a Freedom card after Aug 14th.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by lbotez
Decided to apply for the Sapphire Preferred anyway, so I got that out of my mind. Wanted the bonus, just in case they decide to change the rules. Will opt for a Freedom card after Aug 14th.
Good move.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: Bonvoy P, HHonors Dia, Hyatt Disc, FPC, Alaskan, Hawaiian, AA, United, Elevate, Amex
Originally Posted by lbotez
Kea Lani food is fine, however, there is shopping center not too far away (5 min) that has a couple of good restaurants. And there is this really good Japanese Restaurant, Morimoto Maui (run by Iron Chef Masaharu Morimoto) which should not be missed. It's in the Andaz Hyatt, but it's worth going to if you like Japanese food.
Yes, mentioned that the Andaz has better food. I had some good filet mignon sliders at happy hour, but that's about it.
The wife loves sushi, but I don't, and I don't like Japanese food. But I love Morimoto's, because they make just about the best burger (and fries) that I've had anywhere.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Ramonmv
Yes, mentioned that the Andaz has better food. I had some good filet mignon sliders at happy hour, but that's about it.
The wife loves sushi, but I don't, and I don't like Japanese food. But I love Morimoto's, because they make just about the best burger (and fries) that I've had anywhere.
I'll have to try that the next time I go. Though I love Japanese food. I'll be in Maui next year again... loved Morimoto's.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 6:49 am

Not sure what to do...

I had planned to wait until my card converts to CSP in order to have my ~3.5k points convert to UR, and then cancel in order to avoid annual fee. But, my annual fee posted 7/1, so I don't think I'll be able to have the points convert in time. I believe Chase requires card cancellation within 30 days in order to have the AF refunded.

Any suggestions? Maybe I'm missing something.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by aa70274
Not sure what to do...

I had planned to wait until my card converts to CSP in order to have my ~3.5k points convert to UR, and then cancel in order to avoid annual fee. But, my annual fee posted 7/1, so I don't think I'll be able to have the points convert in time. I believe Chase requires card cancellation within 30 days in order to have the AF refunded.

3,500 Fairmont points would be worth at most about $47.50 as Ultimate Rewards Travel dollars. If you pay $95 for a possible $47.50 worth of points and don't get your money back, it's probably not worth it. I would spend them now and get gift cards (1 $25 card for 2,500 points, and 1 $10 Starbucks card for $1,000 points).

My annual fee won't be charged until the end of August (according the Chase agents). So I have until late Sept. supposedly to cancel. Or change it to another card. I just applied and received the CSP because I wanted the promotional bonus points (another bonus with the CSP if you apply is you get the first year free). I don't really want a second CSP (I assume that my $95 Fairmont annual fee will be applied to that card), so will probably get a free Freedom Unlimited card instead. Not sure how this is all really gonna play out though. I also spent enough for a free night for the last year I've had this card, so expecting that also and need to keep this card in some form until the free night gets deposited in my Fairmont account (8 weeks, supposedly). I also have about 27K worth of Fairmont points (That's $450 worth of travel with UR points).

Why is this so complicated?

Last edited by lbotez; Jul 17, 2017 at 8:52 am
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Not sure what to do...

1) Remember that after the Fairmont card converts to CSP, if you cancel that new card, you need to have another Chase card that earns UR points, or you will lose those points upon canceling the new CSP card.

2) From the fine print on a recent monthly statement, midway under "Annual Renewal Notice":

The annual membership fee is non-refundable unless you notify us that you wish to close your acount within 30 day or one billing cycle (whichever is less) after we provide the statement on which the annual membership fee is billed.
Emphasis added.

I don't know when your July statement closes, but in my case, while the fee was posted to my account on July 1, my July statement will not be issued until July 22. So as I read it, I will have until Aug 22 to cancel the new CSP card and avoid the annual fee.

Also, from some messaging with Chase, I was told that the Fairmont points would automatically transfer to the UR account associated with my existing CSP card on Aug 15. (A new UR account associated with the new CSP account will NOT be created).

So my plan is wait until I see the Fairmont points transferred and then close the new CSP card ... all by Aug 22nd ... thereby not losing the points while avoiding the annual fee. YMMV.

Last edited by jmd001; Jul 17, 2017 at 10:13 am Reason: Add emphasis
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
But, my annual fee posted 7/1,
You have a fee posting date, a statement closing date, and a due date.

You have until the August due date to pay the July statement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.