Fairmont Chase Signature Card

Old Jan 25, 17, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey View Post
thank you so much! now the redemption process is clearer to me.

wow, this is crazy - i am seeing ZERO "Fairmont room" available in the summer months and shoulder period (June / Sep). obviously i did not check every single date, but i have a feeling that this hotel is the type that you need to book 12-18 months in advance to get a room where you can apply FN cert? remind me of the bora bora thalasso scene. i guess my dream of staying in CLL has just gone 'poofed'

is there any way to look at one whole calendar month's availability in one search - it seems to require me to do check iteratively day to day? or better to just call up and ask them to do the search?

on the other hand, i read somewhere that many rooms at fairmont hotels get block-booked by tour agency, so if there is cancellation it wont happen until nearer to the date. is there any truth in this?
I was also trying to finding Banff base-room availability for the two free nights, also coming up empty. I don't think there is any way to search for the entire month at a time so I did the search manually for every 2-day block in August and September. Nada. It seems that there is nothing until October, and then then as soon as you hit October the availability is wide open. In my situation, our travel is a little more flexible so we're going to pick some dates in October and then plan our trip specifically around the hotel's availability. Others may not have that flexibility though.
Old Jan 25, 17, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Nirvana91 View Post
I was also trying to finding Banff base-room availability for the two free nights, also coming up empty. I don't think there is any way to search for the entire month at a time so I did the search manually for every 2-day block in August and September. Nada. It seems that there is nothing until October, and then then as soon as you hit October the availability is wide open. In my situation, our travel is a little more flexible so we're going to pick some dates in October and then plan our trip specifically around the hotel's availability. Others may not have that flexibility though.
Ya dont bother wasting your time looking for room for summer months. It's absurd that there is nothing available. I tried checking one night after another from May - Sep and got fed up (obviously didnt go through all 150 nights). The tour companies have block-booked most of the rooms, and probably will only start releasing them when they realized they over-estimate their sales volume.

I dont mind going to Canadian Rockies in October, except October is a little unpredictable in weather and can start getting cold already. But I could very likely end up having to do that. The other thing is that, the turquoise color of Lake Louise is not as brilliant in the latter or post-summer months, because the rock flour sediments (?) that supposedly make you see this color is not as much.

My other alternative is to visit during fall foliage season but I think October is a little too late for that. I think fall colors start becoming visible in September, but I am not sure which week in September.

Another idea is to visit during the coldest time in January, where I can attend the Ice Magic Festival. Probably will freeze to death :s
Old Jan 25, 17, 3:37 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan E35K, Marriott Gold, Enterprise Gold, Nexus/GE
Your other option for finding available in the Rockies is to just book a long way out. For summer of 2018 the CLL has lots of available Fairmont rooms. The rates are normally high that far out, but you can at least book something now with a flexible non-prepaid rate, and then change to a lower rate as they come available, and apply your certificates when they are posted in March. If you were only planning on using free nights and not adding any paid nights, then it doesn't even matter how expensive the rates are.

I've booked at both Banff and LL every summer with my FPC certs. You just need to plan far in advance. Of course, there is a really good chance that FPC won't exist next year, and none of this will matter anymore.
Old Jan 25, 17, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by CanadaDH View Post
Your other option for finding available in the Rockies is to just book a long way out. For summer of 2018 the CLL has lots of available Fairmont rooms. The rates are normally high that far out, but you can at least book something now with a flexible non-prepaid rate, and then change to a lower rate as they come available, and apply your certificates when they are posted in March. If you were only planning on using free nights and not adding any paid nights, then it doesn't even matter how expensive the rates are.

I've booked at both Banff and LL every summer with my FPC certs. You just need to plan far in advance. Of course, there is a really good chance that FPC won't exist next year, and none of this will matter anymore.
I think the problem with us folks (those who recently got the Chase card before it discontinued) is that none of us will be able to apply the FN cert in Summer 2018. Otherwise, I would love to and in fact preferred to go in Summer 2018.

But alas, it is impossible.

Since the Chase card was discontinued sometime 3rd week of January, and those of us who were lucky enough to apply for it before they shut the doors on us need to meet our minimum spend in the next 90 days. The deadline for this is therefore 3rd week of April.

And assuming if Fairmont is efficient in issuing FN cert the moment after min spend is met, this means our FN cert is unlikely to be valid beyond May 2018. And from what I understand from Jasper2009 (moderator), the FN certs needs to be valid on the day you actually check-in to the hotel, not just on the day you do the online booking.

In other words, our FN cert at most can be valid from May 2017 through May 2018. And of course the other issue is also the one you raised - the fact that FN certs and privileges may no longer exist in 2018 once Accor put the hammer down on it
Old Jan 27, 17, 6:07 am

I received the following from Chase this morning:

We appreciate your business and want to tell you about changes coming to your Fairmont rewards program.

The additional Fairmont Reward you earn on travel booked through Chase ends March 12, 2017 One of the rewards benefits we've been offering is one additional Fairmont Reward for each $1 spent when you use your card to book travel through the Chase Travel Center.

We'll be removing that rewards benefit, and you have until March 12, 2017, to make the most of it.
You will still earn Fairmont Rewards on purchases made using your card as described in your Fairmont Rewards Program Agreement.
We may offer you other ways to earn bonus Fairmont Rewards through the rewards program.

Your updated Rewards Program Agreement includes:

Details on how we'll tell you about changes
What Fairmont Rewards are worth
When your use of rewards may be suspended and how you can lose your Fairmont Rewards
Responsibilities related to the rewards you obtain
The law applicable to the agreement

The latest Rewards Program Agreement takes the place of any earlier versions, including those called "Rewards Program Rules and Regulations." Click here to see it. Or, you can call the number on the back of your card for a copy.

Thank you for being a Chase customer.

Cardmember Services

Last edited by TTT103; Jan 27, 17 at 10:34 am
Old Jan 27, 17, 10:47 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Gold, Fairmont Platinum (No Airline Status, a first in 7 years)
I got this too, I was confused, not sure what I am losing.
Originally Posted by TTT103 View Post
I received the following from Chase this morning:

We appreciate your business and want to tell you about changes coming to your Fairmont rewards program.

The additional Fairmont Reward you earn on travel booked through Chase ends March 12, 2017 One of the rewards benefits we've been offering is one additional Fairmont Reward for each $1 spent when you use your card to book travel through the Chase Travel Center.

We'll be removing that rewards benefit, and you have until March 12, 2017, to make the most of it.
You will still earn Fairmont Rewards on purchases made using your card as described in your Fairmont Rewards Program Agreement.
We may offer you other ways to earn bonus Fairmont Rewards through the rewards program.

Your updated Rewards Program Agreement includes:

Details on how we'll tell you about changes
What Fairmont Rewards are worth
When your use of rewards may be suspended and how you can lose your Fairmont Rewards
Responsibilities related to the rewards you obtain
The law applicable to the agreement

The latest Rewards Program Agreement takes the place of any earlier versions, including those called "Rewards Program Rules and Regulations." Click here to see it. Or, you can call the number on the back of your card for a copy.

Thank you for being a Chase customer.

Cardmember Services
Old Jan 27, 17, 11:05 am
Moderator: Le Club Accorhotels, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by AMRivlin View Post
I got this too, I was confused, not sure what I am losing.
You'll earn only 1 point per dollar spent (vs. the previous 2 points per dollar spent) on travel-related spending.
Old Jan 27, 17, 11:08 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
$12k spend getting a free night is no longer called out as a benefit in the linked document. I've sent a secure message to Chase to ask if this benefit is gone as well.

If it's gone, so is my usage of this card.
Old Jan 27, 17, 11:20 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by bmvaughn View Post
$12k spend getting a free night is no longer called out as a benefit in the linked document. I've sent a secure message to Chase to ask if this benefit is gone as well.

If it's gone, so is my usage of this card.
And mine. Please report back on the response.
Old Jan 27, 17, 11:29 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
As per the changes made in the rewards program:

- Additional one reward earned for each $1 spent on travel
booked through the Chase Travel Center is being removed
due to low rewards benefit utilization.
- You will continue to earn rewards on purchases made
using your card as described in the Rewards Program
Agreement

Let me confirm that you will continue to receive one
complimentary night certificate when you spend $12,000.00
or more in net purchases in a year.
Old Jan 27, 17, 10:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.024MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Select; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Jasper2009 View Post
You'll earn only 1 point per dollar spent (vs. the previous 2 points per dollar spent) on travel-related spending.
It was never for general travel-related spending, it was specifically only for purchases directly with Chase Travel. In our case, that's no loss because we've never booked through that channel.
Old Jan 28, 17, 4:50 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
The loss stated in the latest email by Chase is harmless. I am just afraid it is just the beginning...
Old Jan 28, 17, 6:25 am

Eventually this card will go away considering the merger, but my hopes would be another one is released.
Old Jan 30, 17, 11:12 am

If the two chase free night certs are not used does chase send a refund check? I heard it somewhere but wasn't sure if it's correct or not.
Also, has there been issues on extending the cert for 1months, 9months?
Old Jan 30, 17, 11:17 am
Moderator: Le Club Accorhotels, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by nas6034 View Post
If the two chase free night certs are not used does chase send a refund check? I heard it somewhere but wasn't sure if it's correct or not.
Also, has there been issues on extending the cert for 1months, 9months?
1) I've never heard of Chase writing cardholders a cheque in lieu of using the free night certs.
2) Generally, no. If you have Platinum status (and are a regular guest), FPC *may* extend your certs by a few days/weeks, but generally no. And definitely not by several months.

Search this Thread