Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fairmont Chase Signature Card

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2016, 8:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by gpapadop
And the reason you do not hear much about this card is because there is no affiliate link for it so bloggers can not get paid for it. Be careful out there!
The Fairmont, IHG and Citi Reserve are absolutely the best when it comes to getting the most out of your annual fee. Granted, both Fairmont and Citi Reserve require quite a bit of spending every year but even after that, I end up getting close to 6 cents per $ of spending, way better than anything out there right now. IHG is in a league of its own with no minimum spending requirement and $49 in annual fee.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 8:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by TTT103
That is so very true. Now that the buzz has died down over the Chase Sapphire Reserve card, the bloggers are back to pushing cards they never would have mentioned previously.
CSR was one of the most brilliant piece of marking I have seen when it comes to credit cards. Create a buzz on Reddit and then with bloggers and within three months you have around 300,000 account openings. After 30+ years, Amex has around 1.4 million Platinum cardholders -- and I think that's a global number.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 5:30 pm

I had this card four years ago. If I reapply, will I be eligible for the signup bonus again? Also, does this have the Chase 5/24 rule? Thanks.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 6:11 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by comptalk
I had this card four years ago. If I reapply, will I be eligible for the signup bonus again? Also, does this have the Chase 5/24 rule? Thanks.
Yes, you are eligible for the bonus again. Reports say this card is not part of the 5/24 rule so you shouldn't have a problem.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 7:42 am

So, my card anniversary isn't until April, but I want to stay in one of the hotels in the Canadian Rockies in late July, when demand is high. Since I won't get the free night cert for spending the 12k until later, should I try to make a regular reservation now and try to change it to a free night cert later? Does that work?

[Edited to add] And does that work the same way with the Ovation certs?
Old Dec 27, 2016, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by GOP_Tiger
So, my card anniversary isn't until April, but I want to stay in one of the hotels in the Canadian Rockies in late July, when demand is high. Since I won't get the free night cert for spending the 12k until later, should I try to make a regular reservation now and try to change it to a free night cert later? Does that work?

[Edited to add] And does that work the same way with the Ovation certs?
1) Yes, in fact that's how it usually works. You make a reservation for a Fairmont room first and then call in to apply the free night cert (and you can apply the free night cert anytime between making the booking and check-in).

2) For ovation certs, it usually works the other way around. You call in to make a brand-new reservation using your ovation cert. I unfortunately don't know whether it's possible to apply an ovation cert to an existing reservation (I believe no, but have no personal experience)
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
1) Yes, in fact that's how it usually works. You make a reservation for a Fairmont room first and then call in to apply the free night cert (and you can apply the free night cert anytime between making the booking and check-in).

2) For ovation certs, it usually works the other way around. You call in to make a brand-new reservation using your ovation cert. I unfortunately don't know whether it's possible to apply an ovation cert to an existing reservation (I believe no, but have no personal experience)
What is the best way to use Ovation certs? My understanding is that you get various ovation certs starting 25,000 Fairmont points. I should be at just over 25K Fairmont points. Is the best value at 25K, 30K, 35K?
Old Dec 29, 2016, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by jediwho
What is the best way to use Ovation certs? My understanding is that you get various ovation certs starting 25,000 Fairmont points. I should be at just over 25K Fairmont points. Is the best value at 25K, 30K, 35K?
1) There is a dedicated phone number for making reservations using ovation certs which you need to call.

2) See the first few posts for information regarding ovation certs. IMO there's no "one great redemption", but using a Cat. B cert for one of the Rocky Mountain properties during peak season can offer great value, for instance.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 11:09 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Arrow

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
It never hurts to call the hotel directly, though I wouldn't get my hopes up.

The issue with those three properties is that tour operators often book / block all Fairmont rooms, so it definitely keeps checking availability regularly, especially within a few months of arrival when blocked inventory may be released.
I phoned Fairmont CS & was told the same thing. She said that those tour operators start surrendering availabilty in February for the upcoming summer.

I still find it stupid that they won't book somebody directly into a suite when using a free room cert. + suite upgrade.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 2:45 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Arrow

Originally Posted by CHSDOC
I got the card for out July trip out to Banff. Seems like there's not "base" rooms at Banff Spring, Lake Louise, or Jasper.

Any one actually have luck calling the hotels and getting the free nights? Or am I out of luck on this one?
Hello, fellow Charlestonian !
I just checked out of curiosity. Jasper has Fairmont Rooms available for several dates in August 2017. For some reason, no Wednesdays or Saturdays! Money price is C$699--799 a night.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 9:25 am

Wife and I want to use these in Europe. We aren't going until June 2018. But think wise to book lodging ~9 months in advance. Would like to use certificates from Fairmont, especially if we both get the card. Wondering how to use the certificates so they don't expire. If we book with the certificates within 12 months of them posting to our accounts, does that count? Or do we need to visit the property, at check-in, within 12 months of them posting to the account?

Wondering if I should hold off applying to this card. I would probably book next fall, 2017. But don't know if the certificates expire if they post to a new account in say, March 2017.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 9:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, JoeBlack89!

Originally Posted by JoeBlack89
If we book with the certificates within 12 months of them posting to our accounts, does that count? Or do we need to visit the property, at check-in, within 12 months of them posting to the account?
The certificates must be valid at the time you check-in.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 9:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Does anyone know when does the $12,000 annual spend free night posts to Fairmont acct? I just noticed that the AF was billed to my Chase acct, but I do not see my anniversary free night post to my Fairmont acct... is there a lag?
Old Jan 1, 2017, 9:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by zzrayzz
Does anyone know when does the $12,000 annual spend free night posts to Fairmont acct? I just noticed that the AF was billed to my Chase acct, but I do not see my anniversary free night post to my Fairmont acct... is there a lag?
In my experience, it posts approximately 30 days after the card anniversary date, and is good for one year from that date.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 3:32 pm

Hi all,

Just a quick question about the visa free night certificates. Mine expire December 2, 2017 - can I use one for a one night reservation exactly on December 2, 2017?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.