Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Use a Gift Card with a Prepaid Rate?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2010, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, Bonvoy LTT, ALL Diamond, HH Diamond
Question Use a Gift Card with a Prepaid Rate?

I have several Fairmont gift cards that I would like to use - is there any way to redeem them in conjunction with a prepaid rate such as SAVERS? It would be a waste to have to pay BAR.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 9:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Gift Cards are like money.. same value. Call reservations to see if you can do a prepaid rate straight off the gift card(s). Worst case, you'll have to prepay with your credit card and have the hotel offset your credit card when you present payment upon checkout. Let us know how it works out.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

I finally got round to calling the Platinum line about this, and they confirmed that the hotel should accept the gift cards and issue credit to the credit card used for prepayment. I have a Great Rates stay coming in Singapore this month, so I'll post the results.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 6:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Ubud
I finally got round to calling the Platinum line about this, and they confirmed that the hotel should accept the gift cards and issue credit to the credit card used for prepayment. I have a Great Rates stay coming in Singapore this month, so I'll post the results.
Gift Cards are money essentially.. its been an assumption that the hotel will accept the gc's and credit the cc upon checkout. The only negative aspect, is that on pre-paid rates, you'll be out the coin on cc until you check in and use the gc.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 8:52 am
Original Poster

No problem using gift cards, but exchange rate is poor

Just stayed at the Fairmont S'pore and as predicted, I was able to redeem the gift cards no problem on a prepaid rate.

However, take note that the hotel exchange rate from CAD to SGD was terrible: 1.20 versus the going rate of 1.29 at the time. I would expect a few points (perhaps 2 or 3%), but I felt this was excessive.

You may want to use those cards only at Canadian properties!
Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Funny.. At Hotel MacDonald.. They converted $100US of my food and bev certs to $94 cdn? The cdn dollar was weaker.. I asked the front desk about it, and they didn't seem to know what to do about it. At the end, Fairmont made a bit more off the certs.. Liked the Lois Hole Suite on the 8th floor.. Bravo Fairmont.^
Old May 9, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Anyone have any recent experience. Just made a reservation for the Fairmont Bali.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.