Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best use of upgrade certs @ Fairmont SF

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy P, HHonors Dia, Hyatt Disc, FPC, Alaskan, Hawaiian, AA, United, Elevate, Amex
Best use of upgrade certs @ Fairmont SF

Hi,

I have room upgrade certs, suite upgrade certs, and a 3rd night free cert.
What would be the best room to book, that would result in the best value when upgraded?
Should I start w/ a basic room, and just upgrade to a suite, or should I start higher?

Thank you.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 7:57 am

Depends on when you're going and what you want to end up with. Best deal is probably book base room then use suite upgrade. That gets you a main building suite. If you start at a main building suite they will let you upgrade further to a tower suite but your starting point is obviously higher. Add on your 3rd night free for additional savings. They won't let you stack upgrades though.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy P, HHonors Dia, Hyatt Disc, FPC, Alaskan, Hawaiian, AA, United, Elevate, Amex
Thanks.
I finally got a chance to call. They have a stupid policy. I would have to book the cheapest room, in order to upgrade to a suite. They only have the next cheapest room. So, even though I am willing to book a more expensive room, I can't use my suite upgrade. Suites are available, the room I was willing to pay for is available, but the cheapest rooms are not, so no stays for me. Makes no sense at all.
I asked what would I need to book to get a balcony suite, and she said I'd have to pay the difference, which is a couple hundred a night. But I can't even do that, because the cheapest rooms are all booked.
SMH
Old Oct 13, 2018, 3:40 pm

Yes, technically a "Fairmont" level room must be booked in order to upgrade. I haven't come across this problem at the SF property specifically but have had it pop up at others so it is consistent. I would check periodically assuming your trip is sometime in the future .
Old Oct 13, 2018, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Ramonmv
Thanks.
I finally got a chance to call. They have a stupid policy. I would have to book the cheapest room, in order to upgrade to a suite. They only have the next cheapest room. So, even though I am willing to book a more expensive room, I can't use my suite upgrade. Suites are available, the room I was willing to pay for is available, but the cheapest rooms are not, so no stays for me. Makes no sense at all.
I asked what would I need to book to get a balcony suite, and she said I'd have to pay the difference, which is a couple hundred a night. But I can't even do that, because the cheapest rooms are all booked.
SMH
I have never heard of such a policy when it comes to applying upgrade certs (though that policy does exist when using free night and 3rd night free certs).

I suggest calling the general Fairmont reservations line and have them make a refundable booking and apply the suite upgrade.

If you don't succeed, try again with a different agent. Having handled literally many hundred bookings, I've yet to come across an agent mentioning such a policy.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 9:49 pm

I stand corrected, I was thinking of free night/3rd night free certs.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I have never heard of such a policy when it comes to applying upgrade certs (though that policy does exist when using free night and 3rd night free certs).
I suggest calling the general Fairmont reservations line and have them make a refundable booking and apply the suite upgrade.
If you don't succeed, try again with a different agent. Having handled literally many hundred bookings, I've yet to come across an agent mentioning such a policy.
I am trying to use suite upgrades AND a 3rd night free cert. Is that possible?
Old Oct 14, 2018, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am trying to use suite upgrades AND a 3rd night free cert. Is that possible?
Yes, however a Fairmont room would need to be available in order to apply the 3rd night free cert.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Yes, however a Fairmont room would need to be available in order to apply the 3rd night free cert.
Thanks. That stinks.
They give out 3rd night free on suites all year, w/o a cert, and I'm paying for better than a Fairmont room, so it really doesn't make sense.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. That stinks.
They give out 3rd night free on suites all year, w/o a cert, and I'm paying for better than a Fairmont room, so it really doesn't make sense.
Yes and no.

1) While the Fairmont SFO may regularly offer 3rd night free promotions, this is certainly not true for most Fairmonts
2) Any xth night free promotion is always based on the fully flexible "Daily Rate"

On the other hand, the 3rd night free cert can be combined with almost any discounted rate, so you're still getting a higher discount.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Yes and no.

1) While the Fairmont SFO may regularly offer 3rd night free promotions, this is certainly not true for most Fairmonts
2) Any xth night free promotion is always based on the fully flexible "Daily Rate"

On the other hand, the 3rd night free cert can be combined with almost any discounted rate, so you're still getting a higher discount.
Really? The 3rd night free can be combined with other promos? Interesting, but still no way I'd get as good a deal as paying 2 nights for a Fairmont Room or even the room I booked, and then getting a suite for 3 nights.
And that promo would have to include a Fairmont Room, correct? And now Fairmont SF is telling me there's a citywide convention that week, and they don't allow certificates to be used in such a case. Hmm. not listed on the blackout dates, and that's a weekend, plus a holiday on Monday. A convention those 3 days? Still plenty of higher-priced room and suites, last I looked.
I think they just don't want my business. Why is it all the better companies get bought by the mediocre ones? (Virgin/Alaska, SPG/Marriott, Fairmont/Accor)
The Sonoma location just isn't quite nice enough to use the certs on, and the Claremont in Berkeley gets mixed reviews, and is out of the way for me.

But thanks for the info.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

What kind of suiite do I get?

Hello again,

So, they are jerking me around fo rthe dates I wanted. If I choose different dates, where a Fairmont room is available, and I apply Suite Upgrade and 3rd Night Free, do I get an actual suite, or a Junior Suite?
Old Oct 28, 2018, 12:57 pm

You'll get a main building suite, not jr.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nock
You'll get a main building suite, not jr.
Cool. Thank you.
Should I book the rom, and then call, or call to make the reservation?
Do you know if the breakfast included deal can be booked when using certs?
Old Oct 28, 2018, 11:41 pm

I would call Moncton to make the reservation and apply certs especially if it is a nonrefundable rate sicnce they know all the fine print and blackout dates. I have used breakfast deals with certs in the past.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.