Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Fairmont | Fairmont Presidents Club
Reload this Page >

It has been 3 weeks - your experience with Fairmont / Accor

It has been 3 weeks - your experience with Fairmont / Accor

Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:05 pm
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
(bolding mine)

Really? I guess I actually learnt something today.
Originally Posted by CanadaDH
Wait. I never knew that! You mean my wife and I could have each been receiving night and stay credits for the same room?
Yes... I thought that was normal. My parents did this for years. The agent I talked to was very apologetic about it.
Now guess who's having a fight on who'll earn the nights and points and therefore the status.

Obviously your name must have been on the reservation and your number in the reservation. You could have however added your friends to all your bookings in advance and they would have earned nights on them. Just keep in mind that on a two person room you can only have two ppl in it etc. It depends for how many ppl the room was reserved. Depending on the amount of ppl prices do change so I think it is fair.
Points wise I get it, but night and stay count wise, I mean I stayed at the hotel! I paid for the room. What else should I do? The program just regards it as if I have never set foot in that hotel and I find that a little bit annoying to say at least.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by Nick Art
Yes... I thought that was normal. My parents did this for years. The agent I talked to was very apologetic about it.
Now guess who's having a fight on who'll earn the nights and points and therefore the status.

Obviously your name must have been on the reservation and your number in the reservation. You could have however added your friends to all your bookings in advance and they would have earned nights on them. Just keep in mind that on a two person room you can only have two ppl in it etc. It depends for how many ppl the room was reserved. Depending on the amount of ppl prices do change so I think it is fair.
Points wise I get it, but night and stay count wise, I mean I stayed at the hotel! I paid for the room. What else should I do? The program just regards it as if I have never set foot in that hotel and I find that a little bit annoying to say at least.
I would argue that whoever paid for the room should get the credit. If you paid, they should be your points and credits, not your friends'. Only one of you technically purchased something from the hotel.

As for a room rate being variable with the number of people in the room, I've not found that to be very much. On all of my Fairmont stays, I've never seen the room price jump when selecting 1 vs. 2 guests in the room. I did notice this past summer, when I stayed in a 2-bed suite, that on my initial searches, I was getting a base room price of $1,499/night, and when I eventually made the booking, the price did jump to $1,559/night because of the 2 additional people. And I think that was only because it was on a rate that happened to include daily breakfast for everyone. I couldn't argue with a straight face that for an additional $60/night, or 4% more, which really is only the cost of breakfast, that they should all be entitled to a stay credit in the program. If the room price for 2 people was 2x the price of having 1 person in the room (or somewhere remotely close to it), then I would totally buy that argument.

Now if was offered that double-dipping option by the hotel, as you apparently were in FPC, I would totally accept it too! I just never imagined that it could actually work that way, so I never asked or tried. We always used to put half of our stays in my name and half it my wife's name in order for us both to keep our status. In retrospect, it would have been nice to have them all recorded in my own name, if only to maintain a higher revenue history with each individual hotel, in case that makes a difference to their willingness to provide a good deal or upgrade on future stays.

In the end, is it going to matter to you that you didn't get the night/stay credit? If you're like me, as I expect many Fairmont regulars are, you're not qualifying for status based on nights... you're qualifying on points anyway.

Now that I think about it, I was the recipient of some double-crediting without even knowing about it at the time. Apparently, I was getting stay credit in the Swissotel Circle program on all of my Fairmont stays for years, in addition to FPC. I only noticed this one day, when I received a mailing about the benefits of my Swissotel status, which was rather puzzling since I don't stay at Swissotels, and then logged in to my account to check it out. In the end, it wasn't worth anything to me, as it's not like they provided free night certificates like FPC did, and one would actually have to go to a Swissotel to get anything out of it. But, it was interesting to see. I had signed up for the program before a stay at the Metropole in Geneva (which left the FRHI group the day the Accor deal took effect), and I guess ever since it was crediting to both programs based on a common last name, address and/or registered e-mail. You didn't need to provide your FPC number to Swissotel to get reciprocal benefits, as they matched it up in the background. I suppose that feature, which was intended to give you stay credit at a sister brand property, ended up accidentally giving the credit in both programs.

Last edited by CanadaDH; Oct 23, 2018 at 2:46 pm
Old Oct 24, 2018, 2:05 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Was upgraded at Hotel Mac (Edmonton) to Gold floor this week. That has never happened before. Not sure if this is cause I have 300+ nights here or the new Platinum status, but I'll take it
Nice. If more Fairmonts did this, I would stay more often and I hope it will happen with more regularity. Especially with suite upgrade certificates about to expire, elite perks become slim pickings.

With lounge access being free at Hilton, Marriott, Starwood, and Hyatt for guests with elite status, it is more difficult to pick Fairmont and have to pay for the lounge when you can get it for free elsewhere. In many cities I like the Fairmonts but when evaluating the value proposition things can be more difficult.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 2:35 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

In the end, is it going to matter to you that you didn't get the night/stay credit? If you're like me, as I expect many Fairmont regulars are, you're not qualifying for status based on nights... you're qualifying on points anyway.
Well it actually is, because if I neither get points nor the amount of nights I won't be requalifying for anything, which tbh, is not much less than I currently have.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Went to check my certificate usage, and it seems like Le Accor has fallen a bit behind on properly taking out certificates...I have quite a bit more that I need to use in the next 4 months than anticipated...
Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Nearly four months in with the account integration process and here's my experience today:

1. unable to login on Safari, Chrome or Chrome Incognito
2. reset password, that email link took 45 mins to receive, but it made no difference as the login works but then a blank page appears
2. the Accor App worked for the Fairmont Royal York, but it took 3 attempts before it pre-filled my name and address details (and still the phone number needs to be manually filled in each time)
3. confirmation took nearly an hour to receive
4. called the apply certificate and first agent cannot locate reservation, uses my name to locate it
5. suite upgrades are unavailable for my stay date, which is typical for this property IMHO
6. check reservation update on the App using the "check" tab and...it forwards to a blank page on the Fairmont mobile site

The incompetence continues.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 12:13 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I just noticed something weird. It might be pure coincidence and unrelated to the leclub merger or the takeover at all, but prices for my hotel stays at fairmont increased by up to 30-50% compared to last year. Now the stays are exactly the same (same room, same stay and I'm booking the same time in advance, this year even a little earlier. I just wonder how it comes that my hotel costs 1500 $ more than last year for the exact same week?

(I have only two points of reference here as I usually only stay in two Fairmonts, so this might just be a coincidence and no trend at all).

Have you noticed something similar?
Old Oct 26, 2018, 5:41 am

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
I just noticed something weird. It might be pure coincidence and unrelated to the leclub merger or the takeover at all, but prices for my hotel stays at fairmont increased by up to 30-50% compared to last year. Now the stays are exactly the same (same room, same stay and I'm booking the same time in advance, this year even a little earlier. I just wonder how it comes that my hotel costs 1500 $ more than last year for the exact same week?

(I have only two points of reference here as I usually only stay in two Fairmonts, so this might just be a coincidence and no trend at all).

I can't say I've noticed them being significantly higher at my usual properties (maybe a little bit, which could easily just be explained by normal inflation or changes in tourism demand in general), but I am seeing more variability in the daily rate. It used to be I would book a 7-night stay, and all of the nights across the week would be $X99/night. I'm seeing more searches where the rate jumps up and down across the various nights of the booking.

Example from one of my searches yesterday...

I never used to see this sort of variability.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 5:51 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I can't say I've noticed them being significantly higher at my usual properties (maybe a little bit, which could easily just be explained by normal inflation or changes in tourism demand in general), but I am seeing more variability in the daily rate. It used to be I would book a 7-night stay, and all of the nights across the week would be $X99/night. I'm seeing more searches where the rate jumps up and down across the various nights of the booking.

Example from one of my searches yesterday...

I never used to see this sort of variability.
Me neither... I was always under the impression that each night would have the same rate...
Old Oct 27, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC

I just booked a 3-night weekend at the Fairmont SF over MLK weekend, and I got a $239/night nonrefundable rate. That is by far the cheapest I have gotten it over this weekend (the 3rd time I am doing it at the same time of year). Not a bad price with a suite upgrade cleared
Old Oct 28, 2018, 6:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Another datapoint from this week.

Fairmont Palliser
- returning as a frequent guest and to the usual priority check-in desk, I was shooed away to the regular desk area only to be brought back over to the other side to get my key.
- the keys were pre-done and ready to go and the suite upgrade was acceptable, albeit on the second floor....
- at check-out the regular agent apologized for the confusion the previous day, which was appreciated.

Fairmont Royal York
- called the property to ensure everything would be ready to go for a midnight arrival and got a so so front desk (non-FPC trained) who advised that no late check-out would be provided. Really.
- about to board my flight and receive a call from the property, different agent (FPC trained) who confirms a Signature Room upgrade, no connecting door, but no bathtub nor late check-out. Weird.

I expect better after a decade as a Fairmont Platinum.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:50 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

If the room price for 2 people was 2x the price of having 1 person in the room (or somewhere remotely close to it), then I would totally buy that argument.
Actually, in the Fairmont Royal Palm, basically my home Fairmont hotel, where I often stay with friends the rate for a room used by one person is a bit lower than the rate for the same room used by two person. Not double, but for a week including breakfast I (alone) pay 4000.-, while the same room with two people costs 5500.-.
At least this is the case for my upcoming stay. In the last stay it was a little bit closer together: 2500.- for one against 3000.- for two. Ive already mentioned the huge price i crease above :P
Old Oct 29, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
All my regular Fairmonts are considerably more $$ than even just last year. I commented on this a few months ago. I'm just wondering if they are jacking up the published rates, so they can somehow offer lower rates to members which le club doesn't monthly. And I don't mean the GRGD type of rates.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
The Savoy has been my primary go-to hotel in London. I returned there very recently for my first post-death-of-FPC stay.
A few changes were immediately apparentthis was the first time I can remember without a pre-arrival email asking for my arrival time, and the first time I can remember not finding a welcome letter or amenity in the room. Earlier in the year, the historic gold-framed photos of famous guests that used to sit on the bed stands seem to have disappeared, replaced by tacky paper bookmarks(?) left at turndown with photos of some of them. And the rose Le Labo toiletries were replaced around the same time with a new Penhaligons Savoy Steam fragrance.
Although there have been a number of departures, many staff members remain, and it was only being greeted by name by them that made me feel back in my London home away from home.
The day prior to my departure, when my plans had firmed up, I stopped at Reception to request a one hour later checkout. After checking, the receptionist agreed, adding that she was happy to accommodate me THIS TIME. ( with strong emphasis on those words)
I still love the hotel, its history, its lovely core staff, and its location. But I dont think Ill be staying as frequently as in the past.
Oh, and no one mentioned or offered the welcome drink Accor Plats are supposed to getI didnt think to ask while I was there, as Im not much of a drinker, though I do like both bars there.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
A quick update to the above post re the Savoy. I mentioned when I checked out how disappointed I was with my treatment, and that, while I would still return from time to time, I would not be staying as frequently as in the past. I don't know if it was as a result of that conversation, but my next stay was as good as any during my FPC days: room ready on my early arrival, even though I'd said it wasn't necessary, warm welcomes from many staff members, welcome note and amenity in the room. I suspect, though, that it was all due to the fact that I've probably stayed there 45 -50 times since the hotel reopened, rather than to my Accor Platinum status. On the subject of which, my sole disappointment was the arrangements made for the much-vaunted Accor Plat welcome drink--in a hotel renowned for (among other things) its bars, the welcome drink is not poured there, but is instead delivered to one's room, and IIRC is chosen from a list of only 2 wines and a number of non-alcoholic choices.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.