Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Fairmont | Fairmont Presidents Club
Reload this Page >

20% Bonus on FPC Gift Cards - Wed, May 9, 2018

Old May 3, 2018, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE

The semi-annual bonus on Fairmont gift cards is back, and... it's back to 20% again! That's a 16.67% discount off the face value of cards received.

Terms seem similar to past promotions, but this year they've laid out the specific terms below.

e-GIFT CARD PROMOTION RULES & REGULATIONS: Fairmont Moments

I was wondering if this would tradition would continue under Accor. Hopefully it continues, but since there's no expiry date on gift cards, I guess there's no harm in loading up in case they don't continue these bonuses. But, remember for travel to Canadian Fairmont properties, it's still a better value to use the LifeExperiences certificates purchased through Costco, which gets you a 25% discount (or 26.51% for Executive members).
Old May 3, 2018, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Thanks for the heads up. Was really hoping for one last sale!

Please note sale is only from 2-5 pm EDT!

travelswithmyself likes this.
Old May 3, 2018, 11:37 pm

Accor

I wonder if they will be usable across the Accor chain or strictly at Fairmont.
Old May 4, 2018, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Thanks for posting!^
Old May 4, 2018, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
I wonder if they will be usable across the Accor chain or strictly at Fairmont.
Are they currently applicable to Raffles locations. If so, then that might be indication.
Brendan likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by edcli
Are they currently applicable to Raffles locations. If so, then that might be indication.
No, FRHI gift cards were always brand-specific. Swissotel, Fairmont and Raffles each use the same provider, Buyatab, for managing their gift card programs. The redemptions were done through similar terminals, all offering the same great foreign exchange rate conversions, although they are offered in different base currencies (e.g. EUR and USD but not CAD is available for a Swissotel e-gift card purchase, which makes perfect sense). I suspect they kept them brand-specific, not because of system limitations, but on purpose. Whether that changes under Accor, who knows? Keeping them brand-specific probably helps with promotions like the 20% bonus. If one brand's marketing budget is funding the discount, they would probably want to keep the use of the cards within the same hotel brand.

Edit to add... Just browsing through the Raffles facebook page, I see they did a similar gift card bonus program. Feb 6 through 14, they had a Valentine's Day promotion, where you got a 10% bonus for any cards purchased through the site. They did the same 10% deal Dec 11 through 22.

Last edited by CanadaDH; May 4, 2018 at 4:12 pm
Old May 4, 2018, 10:14 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
I just bought Life Experiences cert.s via Costco.ca to use at the Royal York, where I earn 3 Aeropesos per C$ now thru May 13! But be sure to enter the Promo Code AERO3 on the final payment page!
Do the math: Buy $600 worth at costco.ca for $449.94 & get 1350 Aeropesos free--for cert.s valid only in Canada & only C$1000 per stay.

Or grab the OP's offer on May 9 to buy $600 of unrestricted worldwide cert.s for $500. Which is your only opportunity if you can't get a Costco membership for some reason!

Last edited by Brendan; May 9, 2018 at 1:10 pm Reason: To add the italicized text.
Old May 5, 2018, 4:50 am

I've read somewhere else that you can use the e-gift card to pay for a prepaid at the hotel -- meaning the hotel would charge your gift card and refund your original form of payment. Has anyone ever tried to do this?
Brendan likes this.
Old May 5, 2018, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pauq
I've read somewhere else that you can use the e-gift card to pay for a prepaid at the hotel -- meaning the hotel would charge your gift card and refund your original form of payment. Has anyone ever tried to do this?
Yes, I've done this. I normally e-mail the hotel in advance to ask the question, just so I have it in writing from them when I'm there, in case I get an agent who doesn't want to refund the deposit. I has always worked fine.

Just be aware that if you're travelling somewhere with a different currency than your credit card, you will lose a bit in exchange on the charge and subsequent refund of the deposit. However, that F/X loss should be less than the gift card discount.
Old May 7, 2018, 5:19 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Do the gift cards cover taxes or only the room rate?
Old May 7, 2018, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by escape4
Do the gift cards cover taxes or only the room rate?
You can use the gift cards to pay for the room rate and all related charges such as tax, resort fees etc. as well as most incidentals (dining, spa treatment etc.)
Brendan likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 5:17 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
You can use the gift cards to pay for the room rate and all related charges such as tax, resort fees etc. as well as most incidentals (dining, spa treatment etc.)
I assume you can use the gift cards for any hotel restaurants at Fairmont, correct? Going to dine there in a few weeks so this is a good chance to get a break.
Old May 8, 2018, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yeunganson
I assume you can use the gift cards for any hotel restaurants at Fairmont, correct? Going to dine there in a few weeks so this is a good chance to get a break.
Yes. Per the terms on the website...

Fairmont Hotels & Resorts gift cards can also be redeemed at Fairmont Stores (retail locations and online), Fairmont owned and operated golf courses, Fairmont owned and operated food & beverage outlets, Fairmont owned and operated spas and any other outlet pertaining to Fairmont Hotels & Resorts.
The restaurant will take your gift cards, but it might take a few extra minutes to process, since they might have to get the front desk to process it. Not all restaurants will have a gift card terminal right there, but they will be able to take it just fine.
Old May 9, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Like Brendon said, buying Fairmont gift cards from Life Experiences via Costco online still works, and it gets you 25% off...
Brendan likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canesfan
Like Brendon said, buying Fairmont gift cards from Life Experiences via Costco online still works, and it gets you 25% off...
Yes, but as I mentioned in the OP, remember the Life Experience certificates are only good at Canadian Fairmont properties.
Brendan likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.