Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian American Express Platinum

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum
Only reason I kept the Amex Platinum was for the FPC.

doesnt make sense anymore.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: AC SE, AMEX Plat, Marriott Gold, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by MrBlackYEG

I called Amex today and told them exactly that. They used to have Accor as benefit as well, but dropped this. It would have been useful with the "new" Fairmont. I also fear that the SPG benefit will vanish eventually with Marriott running the show.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I called Amex Friday to voice my concerns. Agent was aware of the change. Will send me a form for additional comments. Canadian Amex seems to cut benefits but not add new ones.
cavitron likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 5:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Benefits cut from Amex Plat:
Cathay Marico Polo Gold
Accor Platinum
Fairmont Platinum after 5 nights.

While annual fee keeps increasing
Old Dec 16, 2017, 8:29 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Cathay Marico Polo Gold
Accor Platinum

Well, the first two items on your list were cut a while ago. I don't recall CX gold being a benefit in several years, and the Accor status went away about 2 years ago. And for the years I had that card, I can't recall using either of them even once. Only the FPC is a recent cut, and for obvious reasons.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 8:54 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Cathay Marico Polo Gold
Accor Platinum

Well, to be fair, at the same time they added Hilton Gold and SPG Gold got better by being matched with Marriott Gold. Agreed that MPC gold and Fairmont are a big loss however...
Old Dec 17, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MrBlackYEG

Same here. I won't be renewing and I've been a member for 20 years. If you aren't based in YYZ or YYC you'll rarely get any benefit beyond what you can get with other cheaper cards. The sad part is I don't see another card that Amex has which is worth holding. Ever since Costco dumped them it's gotten harder and harder to justify as my spend on Amex is way down. The Fairmont benefit was the one reason I can justify keeping the card as I usually stay around 10 times per year and really liked the benefits of being platinum. With the elimination of the FPC I'll shift nearly all of my business to Marriott/Starwood where possible.

Travel Insurance/Car Rental/Purchase warranty --> use Costco MasterCard instead.
Airport lounge benefits --> I have access to MLL most location or Star Alliance - one place I will miss is the Amex lounge in LAS
SPG Gold --> This is somewhat valuable for the late checkout; however, I'm a lifetime Gold with SPG so no benefit there.
Hilton Gold --> I am staying at a Hilton on Friday night - it will be my only stay in 2017.

Things I will miss:

-Better Hotels and Resorts program - has been quite useful when inventory at my regular hotels is limited due to event weekend or if I needed a late checkout. I actually do like this benefit but most hotels are too pricey to justify on business travel so I've used it once per year at most

-$200 travel credit (but difficult to use) - at best this brings the price of the card down to $500.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 6:58 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
question: does the supplemental card get the exact same benefits as the primary card holder? including the $200 travel credit? all $1000 of the flight delay insurance?

update28jun:
answer: yes. all of them. same level of insurance. same priority pass (cardholder+2). just not the $200 travel benefit

Last edited by cur; Jun 28, 2018 at 8:43 pm
Old Aug 2, 2018, 12:45 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Just cancelled my Canadian Platinum card after 5 great years. Instead of refunding me the $699 annual fee, they only refunded the $499, because I had used this calendar year's $200 travel credit 3 weeks before cancellation.

Have other people experienced this - think I could fight for the full annual fee refund?
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by shuuy
Just cancelled my Canadian Platinum card after 5 great years. Instead of refunding me the $699 annual fee, they only refunded the $499, because I had used this calendar year's $200 travel credit 3 weeks before cancellation.

Have other people experienced this - think I could fight for the full annual fee refund?
You should have used the travel credit before the annual fee hit. The travel credit is issued on the beginning of each calendar year.

If you had used the travel credit and cancelled before the annual fee hit, they would have nothing to deduct.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: Aeroplan, FPC Platinum, SPG/Marriott Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, BW Diamond Select
Originally Posted by shuuy

Experienced this same thing a year ago when cancelling my Platinum. Had been churning the card every other year, alternating with my wife for the sign up and referral bonuses, and had not experienced it before last summer.

If you've used the travel credit in the same calendar year that you're cancelling, the answer, apparently, is to cancel before the annual fee is levied. Lesson learned as my wife's annual fee is due to be levied next week so guess what we're doing in the next day or two?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.