AMEX Canadian Business Platinum Card with Fairmont Platinum status

Old Mar 9, 17, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
AMEX Canadian Business Platinum Card with Fairmont Platinum status

Had a question about this card, as it comes with President's Club Platinum status. If I get this card, does it qualify me for early qualification status with Fairmont?

As mentioned in the STICKY "Fairmont President's Club MASTER FAQ":
How does early qualification work?

If you qualify for Premier / Platinum status before September 15, you will be awarded status instantly (it can take a few days for your statu to be updated after your qualifying stay posts).. Status will be valid for the remainder of the membership year and the following membership year.

For instance, if you have 5 qualifying stays between January 1, 2016 and September 15, 2016, you will have Premier status until February 28, 2018. You will receive one set of certificates after qualifying early (certificates will be valid until February 28, 2017) and another set of certificates the following year (certificates valid from March 1, 2017 until February 28, 2018)
Wanted to see if I would get status come September, which would come with set of certificates to be used before February 2018, then get issued another set of certifications for March 2018 through February 2019.

Could I effectively get the card, pay annual fee of $399, and get 2 free night certificates before the 2nd year annual fee comes up, and then just cancel?
Old Mar 9, 17, 12:58 pm

Programs: TK*G, AC Aeroplan, Fairmont Platinum, Starwood Gold, Nexus/GE, Hertz #1 Gold
The card doesn't come with Platinum status. It gives you a fast track to get there, but you still have to stay 5 nights with Fairmont after getting the card to get Platinum status.

I would not count on anything beyond Feb 2018, because it is likely that the Fairmont Presidents Club will either cease to exist, or be changed significantly, as Accor Hotels integrates the Fairmont brand into their existing group.
Old Mar 9, 17, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Ok, thanks for the clarification. Didn't see that on AMEX's website until I searched more and found a different landing site with more detailed info.

I will have 5 nights by the end of this month. But looks like if I get this card, I will still need to stay another 5 nights, and pay for it with the Corporate AMEX card. Stinks that it appears they won't count nights before getting the card.
Old Mar 9, 17, 1:48 pm

Programs: TK*G, AC Aeroplan, Fairmont Platinum, Starwood Gold, Nexus/GE, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post
Ok, thanks for the clarification. Didn't see that on AMEX's website until I searched more and found a different landing site with more detailed info.

I will have 5 nights by the end of this month. But looks like if I get this card, I will still need to stay another 5 nights, and pay for it with the Corporate AMEX card. Stinks that it appears they won't count nights before getting the card.
Technically, you're supposed to charge the 5 nights to the Amex. Practically, that hasn't always been enforced. However, I would make sure that you at least had the Amex account active at the time of the stay.

But is that really a problem? If staying another 5 nights is a challenge for you, there is not much point in having status in the first place.
Old Mar 9, 17, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CanadaDH View Post
Technically, you're supposed to charge the 5 nights to the Amex. Practically, that hasn't always been enforced. However, I would make sure that you at least had the Amex account active at the time of the stay.

But is that really a problem? If staying another 5 nights is a challenge for you, there is not much point in having status in the first place.
The issue is my wife and I really only stay at Lake Louise to go skiing. We use the Costco rate of $195 on the weekend, as we live in Calgary, and those stays count toward status. So after this month, our next stays at Fairmont won't come until at least November, then December. It would be great to get Platinum to get the free night, $100 credit, and suite upgrades. Will have Premier status with the early qualification, but was trying to sneak in Platinum status before the early qualification.
Old Mar 9, 17, 2:05 pm

The issue is my wife and I really only stay at Lake Louise to go skiing. We use the Costco rate of $195 on the weekend, as we live in Calgary, and those stays count toward status. So after this month, our next stays at Fairmont won't come until at least November, then December. It would be great to get Platinum to get the free night, $100 credit, and suite upgrades. Will have Premier status with the early qualification, but was trying to sneak in Platinum status before the early qualification.
What? There's a Costco rate to stay at the Chateau Lake Louise?

If you're staying there later this month, can't you just get the Amex card right away, and then extend your stay this month to 5 nights? Then you'll have your benefits and free night for your stays at the end of the year.

No amount of time at Lake Louise is too much! I just finished a 10-night stay there, and could have stayed there for another 10.
Old Mar 9, 17, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Yes the Costco rate is only valid with ski tickets purchased at Costco in Calgary (not available online). Two tickets are $150, and the package comes with a code for weekend stays for $195 and weekday for $179. Plus parking is included for free with the rate.

Yes we'd love to stay there more, but vacation time is limited for me. Just with the town at Lake Louise had more food options, and can't believe they took away the Saloon at the hotel and replaced it with a more expensive restaurant...
Old Mar 9, 17, 8:05 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
The better rate than the Costco rate is the Louise Card rate...
Old Mar 10, 17, 5:04 am

Programs: A3*G, Fairmont Pl, Accor Pl, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Platinum
If you are able to get 7 stays in before end of September you can get 3 sets of certificates. Wait for 7 stays - call and request your upgrade to "Premier" which includes a 3rd night free cert and some $ certs. Wait for them to post - then call back and ask for Platinum from Amex 5 stay. Those certs will post for this year and you will qualify for the next set next year.
Old Mar 10, 17, 6:08 am

Yes the Costco rate is only valid with ski tickets purchased at Costco in Calgary (not available online). Two tickets are $150, and the package comes with a code for weekend stays for $195 and weekday for $179. Plus parking is included for free with the rate.

Yes we'd love to stay there more, but vacation time is limited for me. Just with the town at Lake Louise had more food options, and can't believe they took away the Saloon at the hotel and replaced it with a more expensive restaurant...
So is the deal only for a fixed rate on, presumably, the base room, or is it a discount that can be applied to all rooms and suites? I tend to like to book large suites at this property.

I like the new restaurant better than the old Glacier Saloon. We had a few meals there on our last stay. No doubt there are limited options in LL, it's not a large place and they have a captive audience. Apart from a dinner one night driving down to Banff Springs, and lunches on the ski hill, we pretty much had all of our meals at the CLL restaurants.

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh View Post
I've always purchased a Louise Card, but never been able to use those rates. My stay always seems to hit one of the blackout dates. It's a really nice discount. It would be nice if it was also available outside of ski season.
Old Mar 10, 17, 6:44 am
Moderator: Le Club Accorhotels

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
I like the new restaurant better than the old Glacier Saloon. We had a few meals there on our last stay. No doubt there are limited options in LL, it's not a large place and they have a captive audience. Apart from a dinner one night driving down to Banff Springs, and lunches on the ski hill, we pretty much had all of our meals at the CLL restaurants.
FWIW, the restaurant at the Post Hotel has an excellent reputation and is well-known for its outstanding wine selection.
Old Mar 10, 17, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh View Post
Yes, I believe by $10 or so, but you do have to commit to skiing 7 times. That is usually not a problem for me, but I just prefer to buy the Costco passes and pay as I go, plus it qualifies for 2% back on purchase.

So is the deal only for a fixed rate on, presumably, the base room, or is it a discount that can be applied to all rooms and suites? I tend to like to book large suites at this property.

The discount is across all room rates. PM if you want the code just to see the discount between normal rates and Costco rates. Sometimes the hotel asks to see the ski passes and sometimes they don't.

Originally Posted by codesinvan View Post
If you are able to get 7 stays in before end of September you can get 3 sets of certificates. Wait for 7 stays - call and request your upgrade to "Premier" which includes a 3rd night free cert and some $ certs. Wait for them to post - then call back and ask for Platinum from Amex 5 stay. Those certs will post for this year and you will qualify for the next set next year.
Unfortunately we only stay at this Fairmont on pleasure with the heavenly discounted ski rates. The rates in the summer are crazy...
Old Mar 10, 17, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Jasper2009 View Post
FWIW, the restaurant at the Post Hotel has an excellent reputation and is well-known for its outstanding wine selection.
Agreed. Post Hotel has a nice restaurant. We also like the Station Restaurant, but it's not open all year round. Even the Mountain restaurant at the gas station isn't bad for a casual meal. But particularly during winter stays, after a busy day skiing or snowshoeing, eating at the hotel is easier than getting the car out and driving for dinner.
Old Mar 10, 17, 11:02 am
Moderator: Le Club Accorhotels

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Agreed. Post Hotel has a nice restaurant. We also like the Station Restaurant, but it's not open all year round. Even the Mountain restaurant at the gas station isn't bad for a casual meal. But particularly during winter stays, after a busy day skiing or snowshoeing, eating at the hotel is easier than getting the car out and driving for dinner.
Fair point. I guess for a casual meal I'd just pick something up at the deli downstairs or order something through in-room dining.
Old Dec 10, 17, 11:51 am

Does anyone know if the nights have to be booked directly with the Fairmont or if that nights are booked through a third party but still using your credit card will work?

Search this Thread