I have 6 free nights-recommendations?

Old Jan 12, 17, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

I have 6 free nights-recommendations?

Through combined visa awards I have 6 nights available.

What would you recommend for a family of 3 (2 adults one 10 year old)?

We live in Georgia and have been to Banff and Scottsdale properties already.

Would it be feasible to visit the 3 Vancouver area hotels (pacific rim, whistler, and empress) over the course of 1 week

Thanks

Last edited by trey; Jan 12, 17 at 5:53 pm
Old Jan 12, 17, 7:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by trey View Post
Would it be feasible to visit the 3 Vancouver area hotels (pacific rim, whistler, and empress) over the course of 1 week
No problem to hit those three, though there are actually five Fairmonts in the vicinity.
Old Jan 13, 17, 7:34 am
Moderator: Le Club Accorhotels

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum

Thanks
No problem at all, though maybe not the best use of your free night certs.

The Fairmont Whistler is expensive in winter, but Vancouver and Victoria aren't great destinations in winter.

Using your free night certs at the Fairmont Pacific Rim or the Fairmont Waterfront in summer offers great value, but the Fairmont Empress and Fairmont Whistler are comparably cheap.

Have you considered California (e.g. 3 nights each in San Diego and Santa Monica)? Or Hawaii?
Old Jan 13, 17, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Have you considered California (e.g. 3 nights each in San Diego and Santa Monica)? Or Hawaii?

yes i am thinking about that.

do you know whether the 1 year period on the chase free night is absolute or can be extended?
Old Jan 13, 17, 9:01 am
Moderator: Le Club Accorhotels

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
do you know whether the 1 year period on the chase free night is absolute or can be extended?
Generally, free night certs cannot be extended (though FPC has occasionally extended certs by a few weeks, espeically if you have Platinum status and/or generate a fair amount of business).
Old Jan 13, 17, 9:19 am

Programs: A3*G, Fairmont Pl, Accor Pl, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Platinum
Those three in one week would be rushing around. Two would be better. The Pacific Rim is the one that is the must go to. It is the best Fairmont in Canada by far.

I second San Diego - we just did that trip before Christmas and the Grand Del Mar is fantastic and a great value using free nights.

Last edited by codesinvan; Jan 13, 17 at 9:36 am
Old Jan 13, 17, 3:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
I would do a summer trip. Stay at the Pac Rim, then take a float plane from the front doors of the hotel to the front doors of the Victoria Fairmont hotel (cheaper than you think, and super fun). From there, you can choose if you want to do Whistler or not, but it is also very fun in the summer.
Old Jan 14, 17, 12:01 am

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh View Post
I would do a summer trip. Stay at the Pac Rim, then take a float plane from the front doors of the hotel to the front doors of the Victoria Fairmont hotel (cheaper than you think, and super fun). From there, you can choose if you want to do Whistler or not, but it is also very fun in the summer.
This option for BC in the summer would be a great one that I can also recommend. Both hotels have great locations and are a nice contrast. The lobby at the Empress was undergoing a massive renovation when I was there in December, along with the north end closed getting a massive redo as well. The room I had was on the top floor, which was smaller than most 1BR suites, but had two bathrooms and completely renovated.

By summer, I expect this to be finished. Victoria is very charming and I do recommend a car to explore outside the core downtown if you have time.

The alternative of Santa Monica and the Grand DelMar near San Diego is also an excellent choice. Santa Monica gives you the beach and reasonable access to LA attractions. The Grand DelMar is a fabulous resort, but about 30 minutes from San Diego. If you picked this itinerary, you definitely want a rental car and driving to/from LAX <> San Diego is not a chore if you miss rush hours.

I've stacked up a few free nights as well, but 6 nights... I'm envious, especially if you have suite upgrades to stack on top of the free nights.
Old Jan 21, 17, 10:37 pm

Programs: Avis Chairman's, Hertz Au+ , IHG Au, Hyatt, Honors Au (Amex), Marriott Pt & Life Au, Accor Ag
Canuck, you can always buy a triangle ticket to go to BC & San Diego! Or do 3 nights each in Vancouver & Victoria. Or one of those 2 + Banff.
Old Jan 22, 17, 8:42 pm

Programs: United, Hilton
I second the rec for doing a summer trip, if going up to western Canada. Not only is it the best time of the year to visit that area, you'll get more value out of your certs. Along those lines, in my experience Lake Louise is the most expensive property up in that region during summertime, even more than Banff. From maximal value standpoint, Whistler during ski season might be another good idea (as mentioned upthread).

Although this is not the best use of your certificate, Fairmont YVR is a fascinating hotel to stay at for any plane enthusiast.

Search this Thread