20% Bonus on FPC Gift Cards - Fri, Nov 25, 2016

Old Nov 21, 16, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK*G, AC Aeroplan, Fairmont Platinum, Starwood Gold, Nexus/GE, Hertz #1 Gold
Thumbs up 20% Bonus on FPC Gift Cards - Fri, Nov 25, 2016

Just posted on the Fairmont Facebook page... 20% bonus is back!

It's that time of year again - our electronic gift card bonus sale is back!
On Friday, November 25th, from 1-4pm EST only, purchase an e-gift card and receive a 20% bonus e-gift card free. It's the perfect gift this holiday season.
Old Nov 21, 16, 2:18 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Gold, Fairmont Platinum (No Airline Status, a first in 7 years)
Great to hear. Checking in Wednesday night, will work nicely on checkout!
Old Nov 21, 16, 2:20 pm

Programs: AS 75K,AA Plat, UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott Tit, Hyatt Glb, Accors Plt, Natl Exec, Avis PC
My experience, as with many others, I have to drop the GC off at the front desk and go on my way and come back because it is a 5-10 minute process for them to apply the payment (depending on the agent's experience level). Watching them I must have seen a couple hundred key clicks. All the front desk agents fear me bringing them GCs now...

There is a scan symbol on the GC print out. Don't they have a scanner to process it like any other method of payment? Nope.
Old Nov 21, 16, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK*G, AC Aeroplan, Fairmont Platinum, Starwood Gold, Nexus/GE, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by dmodemd View Post
My experience, as with many others, I have to drop the GC off at the front desk and go on my way and come back because it is a 5-10 minute process for them to apply the payment (depending on the agent's experience level). Watching them I must have seen a couple hundred key clicks. All the front desk agents fear me bringing them GCs now...

There is a scan symbol on the GC print out. Don't they have a scanner to process it like any other method of payment? Nope.
I used to have this problem, where I'd have to drop off a pile of certificates for them to process. However, it's gotten much better since they changed the process where they award a single 20% bonus certificate for the total amount of your shopping cart purchase. A couple of years ago, they would issue a $50 bonus cert for every $250 cert purchased, which meant I would walk in with a stack of $50s. I did make sure to pick a time when the front desk was not busy. Now I can just buy $5,000 in one shopping cart purchase, and get a single cert for $1,000 as the bonus. Greatly reduces the number of certificates the front desk has to process.
Old Nov 21, 16, 5:20 pm

How do gc work if they are purchased in a different currency than the hotel you're staying at? If they use an exchange rate, is the rate generally pretty good?
Old Nov 21, 16, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nock View Post
How do gc work if they are purchased in a different currency than the hotel you're staying at? If they use an exchange rate, is the rate generally pretty good?
The gift card terminal will convert it to the local currency through OANDA. And the rates are excellent.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/fairm...ange-rate.html
Old Nov 21, 16, 6:35 pm

Anyone know how the Fairmont Gift Cards will code (travel, other....) for credit cards? Still have $300 to spend on my CSR card. thanks
Old Nov 21, 16, 6:47 pm

Programs: A3*G, Fairmont Pl, Accor Pl, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Platinum
Thanks for the reminder on this. Was wondering when they were going to announce. Going to Grand Del Mar next week and need to load up for that.
Old Nov 21, 16, 8:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by phiota View Post
Anyone know how the Fairmont Gift Cards will code (travel, other....) for credit cards?
I know it works as a Fairmont purchase (5pts/$) on the Fairmont Chase Visa.

Do we have a link yet?
Old Nov 21, 16, 9:04 pm

Can you use the gift card on AmEx FHR reservation? And, if the gift card balance is less than to total amount on folio, can you pay the remaining balance on AmEx card?

And is there a limit on how many gift card you can use at a time during checkout?

I am thinking about using this on Fairmont Lake Louise or Fairmont Banff.
Old Nov 21, 16, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by CanadaDH View Post
The gift card terminal will convert it to the local currency through OANDA. And the rates are excellent.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/fairm...ange-rate.html
So you suggest buying in USD?
Old Nov 21, 16, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc View Post
So you suggest buying in USD?
I would suggest buying in the home currency of your credit card, whichever that happens to be (assuming you're based in either US or CA), because the Fairmont gift card terminal is likely to be better than the conversion rate your credit card will give you.
Old Nov 21, 16, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Can you use the gift card on AmEx FHR reservation? And, if the gift card balance is less than to total amount on folio, can you pay the remaining balance on AmEx card?

And is there a limit on how many gift card you can use at a time during checkout?

I am thinking about using this on Fairmont Lake Louise or Fairmont Banff.
Yes, you can use the gift card to pay for any rate. Even on prepaid rates or those with a partial deposit, I've been able to have the hotel refund my credit card for the prepayment upon checkout to settle the final bill by gift card (although, that might not be wise if in another currency, since you will lose on the FX spread with the charge/refund process to the credit card).

The gift card doesn't need to cover the whole bill. You can apply as much as you like to the gift card, and put the balance on whatever credit card you wish. Remember you can also use the gift card to pay for anything charged to the room, which would include everything from meals to spa to ski tickets.

No limit to the number of gift cards you can use at check out.
Old Nov 21, 16, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by CanadaDH View Post
Yes, you can use the gift card to pay for any rate. Even on prepaid rates or those with a partial deposit, I've been able to have the hotel refund my credit card for the prepayment upon checkout to settle the final bill by gift card (although, that might not be wise if in another currency, since you will lose on the FX spread with the charge/refund process to the credit card).

The gift card doesn't need to cover the whole bill. You can apply as much as you like to the gift card, and put the balance on whatever credit card you wish. Remember you can also use the gift card to pay for anything charged to the room, which would include everything from meals to spa to ski tickets.

No limit to the number of gift cards you can use at check out.
How about the AmEx FHR reservation? Don't you have to pay with AmEx credit card in order the AmEx FHR benefits?

What if I pay $1 using AmEx platinum card and the remainder using the gift card? Would I still be able to get the breakfast and $100 credit from FHR benefits?

20% is a great saving at a hotel that costs $800 CAD per night such as Fairmont Lake Louise.
Old Nov 21, 16, 10:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
How about the AmEx FHR reservation? Don't you have to pay with AmEx credit card in order the AmEx FHR benefits?
You use the GC at checkout. It's not like they take away the benefits you already enjoyed.

Search this Thread