Fairmont $25 USD food/spa credits

Old Jun 11, 16, 3:16 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Fairmont $25 USD food/spa credits

For the love of god.

$25 USD I'm so tired of having to point this out to Fairmont people.

I had a manager at the Royal York go, no sir, it's $25CDN. Holy bleep. No, it's USD you * moron. Anyways, I've had to take this up with Fairmont Corporate but stick to your guns people. I had a $145 CDN bill and she redeemed $150 worth and I was like, yeah whatever, you do that and I'll follow up with corp. I full well expect another $25 USD coupon as per last but man this is annoying.

Just a headsup.
Old Jun 11, 16, 4:58 am

Programs: TK*G, AC Aeroplan, Fairmont Platinum, Starwood Gold, Nexus/GE, Hertz #1 Gold
This is also one of my biggest annoyances with the program. Funny how when the CAD was stronger than the USD a few years back, the hotels were so much better at knowing to give me only CAD$22 because the certs were in USD. A convenient coincidence, I'm sure!

The last time I had to argue for the USD value, the front desk manager showed me his computer terminal with the available certs, and I will admit that it didn't display a currency, and only showed "25.00". So I can see why the systems create this confusion, and in the absence of a better system, they should have better training.

I eventually got the desk manager to honour the USD amount, but only after calling FPC from the lobby, and passing my phone to the manager. Even then, he didn't give USD credit until the FPC rep sent him an e-mail confirming the currency. The hotel General Manager later followed up with a letter in the mail offering a free dinner for two on our next visit, and a promise to better train the staff.
Old Jun 11, 16, 9:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Even when they do use USD, the exchange rate is so terrible it's almost not worth it.
Old Jun 14, 16, 1:46 pm

I find that many restaurants don't know how to properly apply the certs.
Old Jun 14, 16, 7:01 pm

This happened to us at the Pacific Rim a few weeks ago.
We pointed it out, the lady took 60 cents off the bill. Okay..
Our stay was wonderful so we just went on with our day.
Old Jun 14, 16, 8:59 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Happened again. Royal York screwed me over.

FPC made it right though.

1 USD IS NOT 1 CDN. Mothers.
Old Jun 14, 16, 11:32 pm

I had to walk Fairmont Nanjing through the process (and may have lost a few bucks, but the exchange rate was pretty fair!). Yangcheng lake didn't even recognize or have any idea how to process a cert.

Dr. PITUK
Old Jun 15, 16, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin View Post
Happened again. Royal York screwed me over.

FPC made it right though.

1 USD IS NOT 1 CDN. Mothers.
Every time I've used my certs at Epic, every server knew exactly what to do and even gave me the (usually crappy) rate used for the day.

I find it unacceptable that the front desk has to have this spelled out to them. Perhaps even borderline suspicious.
Old Jun 17, 16, 3:19 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Pleased to say the Royal York (last night) at the Library Bar redeemed the coupons properly. (aka recognized the certs are in USD).
Old Jun 17, 16, 2:42 pm

Talking about crappy rates, I redeemed some at Notch 8 in Hotel Vancouver at 1.2 when the market rate was 1.29...
Old Jul 14, 16, 5:50 pm

Fairmont Lake Louise also only valued them at 25 canadian dollars. I went to the front desk and spoke to the manager, he also said they were 25 canadian dollars, however I pressed him, and he caved .... not because he agreed but because he didn't want to make a big scene over a buck or two.
Anyone know what you can use them for? I found some terms&conditions online and it said lunch and dinner but not alcohol, and did not mention breakfast. I called the hotel where I'm staying tomorrow (Copley Plaza Boston) and the fellow said they CAN be used for breakfast and alcohol, so that's what I'll aim for. We had dinner there once and the noise level (of the music, which we didn't like anyhow) was too much.
Old Jul 17, 16, 11:59 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
You can pretty much use them for any food or beverage charge, in my experience.
Old Jul 17, 16, 5:14 pm

Denied use of certs for breakfast at SF location.
Old Jul 28, 16, 2:33 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Marriott/Ritz-Carlton Platinum Elite, Accor Platinum, AC SE, MPC SL
I'm due to spend a week at the Singapore property soon and I still have the full USD$100 for the year to spend. When I booked the property through FPC they did say that the certificates will be honoured in local currency, i.e. SGD$100 (which is a weaker currency than both USD and CAD).

Knowing your experience with this, I will press hard for them to honour the USD currency with FPC. But maybe I need a manager? Because the FPC reservation agent did state it will be honoured in the local currency.

Thoughts?
Old Jul 28, 16, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by JCFans View Post
I'm due to spend a week at the Singapore property soon and I still have the full USD$100 for the year to spend. When I booked the property through FPC they did say that the certificates will be honoured in local currency, i.e. SGD$100 (which is a weaker currency than both USD and CAD).

Knowing your experience with this, I will press hard for them to honour the USD currency with FPC. But maybe I need a manager? Because the FPC reservation agent did state it will be honoured in the local currency.

Thoughts?
Hmm, did the agent mean it would be converted to the local currency? The terms and conditions can be found on the Fairmont website (I googled and found them) and they say it is $25 USD.

Search this Thread