Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Fairmont | Fairmont Presidents Club
Reload this Page >

How to Use the Various Credit Card Certificates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2016, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

My wife and I each obtained a Fairmont credit card and successfully booked 2 nights each (4 total) at the Jasper Park Lodge this summer. I was previously a standard PC member with no status beyond that; my wife was not previously a PC member.

But I'm a little confused by the electronic certificates that are associated with the card's Premier level.

On the four $25 breakfast certificates that we each received, it's my understanding that we would simply mention that to the server each morning. That seems simple enough.

Is the same true for the Dining/Willow Spa $25 certificates, where two each were received? Could we use those in one of the restaurants for dinner, just by mentioning the certificates to the server?

Finally, is the room upgrade certificate a benefit that can be used with the free night certificates? If so, should these be mentioned at check-in? Or, perhaps before? In reviewing the fine print on line, there is the following comment: "Advance Notice to Program Concierge at Time of Reservation". Not sure how all this might work.

Just looking for some guidance so we make the maximum usage of any benefits associated with the credit cards.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 5:23 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
Is the same true for the Dining/Willow Spa $25 certificates, where two each were received? Could we use those in one of the restaurants for dinner, just by mentioning the certificates to the server?
Yes, you can mention the $25 certificates to your server in the restaurant. However, if you're also staying at the hotel, it's normally easier to just charge the meal to your room and apply the certificates to your account at the front desk. Note that the certificates are in USD, so if redeeming them in Canada, be sure they convert them.

Finally, is the room upgrade certificate a benefit that can be used with the free night certificates?
Yes, certificates may be combined.

If so, should these be mentioned at check-in? Or, perhaps before? In reviewing the fine print on line, there is the following comment: "Advance Notice to Program Concierge at Time of Reservation". Not sure how all this might work.
While certificates are not redeemed from your account until check-in, upgrades are confirmed in advance, as early as time of booking. To apply an upgrade certificate to a booking (either a new one or an existing one), you need to first ensure that your dates are not blacked out at the property you plan to stay at. Then, you need to have availability in the base "Fairmont" room category and the room category to which the certificate (room or suite) books into at that particular property. You also need to be sure that your rate allows certificates to be used. Most do, but there are a few exceptions such as 'Great Rates Great Dates' promotions and some (but not all) discount OTA sites. If all of that works out, you can generally confirm the booking. If you leave it until check-in, you risk no having any availability.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 5:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Just give them a call immediately for the room upgrade. Especially for JPL in the summer. In fact, if there is any way you can pay to upgrade, I would. The basic rooms are pretty blah here. INSIST that you are not in the main building.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Just give them a call immediately for the room upgrade. Especially for JPL in the summer. In fact, if there is any way you can pay to upgrade, I would. The basic rooms are pretty blah here. INSIST that you are not in the main building.
I'm not sure I completely agree. I would probably avoid the Fairmont room in the main building, but IMO the Fairmont View and Deluxe View rooms are decent.

E.g. I once stayed in "Deluxe Lakeview Main Building Room with Balcony" and would be happy to book that room category again. In fact the room was quite spacious and the view from the balcony was much better than in other room categories (incl. junior suites).
Old Apr 14, 2016, 7:54 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I'm not sure I completely agree. I would probably avoid the Fairmont room in the main building, but IMO the Fairmont View and Deluxe View rooms are decent.

E.g. I once stayed in "Deluxe Lakeview Main Building Room with Balcony" and would be happy to book that room category again. In fact the room was quite spacious and the view from the balcony was much better than in other room categories (incl. junior suites).
I should have been more clear - because I agree with you. The fairmont room is what you should avoid.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the helpful advice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.