eStandby upgrades on a free nights certificate reservation?

Old Mar 17, 16, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

eStandby upgrades on a free nights certificate reservation?

Wondering if anyone has had success getting an eStandby upgrade on a free nights reservation. FPC customer service wasn't sure how the hotel would handle it and I've reached out to the hotel staff via email, but no response yet. Some background info...

I've booked two free nights at the Fairmont Monte Carlo with my Visa free nights certificates and was able to apply my suite upgrade certificate to reserve the Garden View suite for free. In my confirmation email, there's an eStandby link that offers me the option to book the Riviera Suite for 128 euros a night, if it's still available on the day I check-in.

If I commit to that upgrade option and it is available when I check-in, will they honor the 128 euros/night rate on my free stay? If so, that's a great deal since that suite is going for 3549 euros/night during the weekend I'm there!
Old Mar 17, 16, 2:33 pm
Moderator: Le Club Accorhotels

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Short answer: Take advantage of the offer and reques the upgrade.

Worst case that can happen is that you don't get the upgrade when checking in.

It's impossible to say how the hotel calculates what to charge for a standby upgrade, but if, for instance, the hotel uses the average price difference between a Garden View suite and a Riviera suite (and not the rates for your particular night - which seem very inflated), a standby upgrade in the 150-200Euro range actually woul make some sense.
Old Mar 17, 16, 3:13 pm

Programs: TK*G, AC Aeroplan, Fairmont Platinum, Starwood Gold, Nexus/GE, Hertz #1 Gold
My experience with e-standby upgrades when using certificates is this...

When using a suite/room upgrade, the e-standby proposals are based on the original room booked as the starting point, and not the room you're upgrading into. So, the proposals may not be that great. I've seen them offer me the chance to pay an additional amount to get a room worse than the one I was already confirmed in through my upgrade cert!

I went so far as to test this out with duplicate reservations. After I had a confirmed reservation with my certs applied, I booked a second reservation for the higher level room that I had the upgrade confirmed into. Then compared the e-standby offers, and the additional amounts they were looking for to upgrade into the best rooms were less than the offers through my first reservation with the upgrade applied.

When using free night certs on a reservation, when you accept an e-standby upgrade, the additional nightly upgrade rate offered will be charged for each night of the stay, including the free nights.

Sometimes it's still a good deal, but sometimes it's not.
Old Mar 17, 16, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies! I guess I'll take advantage of the offer and see what happens upon check-in.

The room rate is definitely inflated, it's the weekend of the bi-annual Grand Prix de Monaco Historique (May 14th - May 16th). I was surprised I could even use my free nights cert along with the Garden View suite upgrade since those suites are going for 1749 euros/night. Originally I couldn't use the suite cert because the Garden View suites were fully booked, but I checked the website last night on a whim and saw that it was available again. Immediately called FPC to apply the suite cert on my reservation to lock that suite down.

Already super excited that I get to stay in a junior suite for free on a race weekend, but if they'll take 128 euros a night for the Riveria suite I'm more than happy to pay that!

Search this Thread