Wiki Posts
Search

Using 2016 certificates

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2016, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: FPC Platinum, Aeroplan
Using 2016 certificates

Sorry if this was discussed elsewhere, couldn't find anything. I called FPC to use Platinum certs for stay in March and April. In the past, the agent would look and confirm I have qualified for Platinum again and make the change. This year I was told policy has changed, I cannot use any certs for 2016 until they post to my account end of Feb. I also couldn't get an extension for my unused ones, despite being able to get one, sometimes even two month extensions in the past. I want to use a suite upgrade cert in March and am worried there won't be any availability left if I wait until March 1. Any suggestions?
Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:07 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by optimas
Sorry if this was discussed elsewhere, couldn't find anything. I called FPC to use Platinum certs for stay in March and April. In the past, the agent would look and confirm I have qualified for Platinum again and make the change. This year I was told policy has changed, I cannot use any certs for 2016 until they post to my account end of Feb. I also couldn't get an extension for my unused ones, despite being able to get one, sometimes even two month extensions in the past. I want to use a suite upgrade cert in March and am worried there won't be any availability left if I wait until March 1. Any suggestions?
I would book 2 rooms. Keep your Fairmont room, and also book a suite (the category you would get upgraded to). Then, on March 1st, call Fairmont and tell them you want a suite upgrade, and if they dont have inventory, tell them you will release your suite to put it into inventory. The reason for keeping the Fairmont room, is that a Fairmont room needs to be available for you to upgrade to a suite.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 12:35 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50K, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, Accor Diamond
I called a week ago requesting to use a 2016 upgrade cert for a stay at the Copley Plaza in late March and after double checking with a supervisor, she was able to do one better - extend a 2015 suite upgrade cert for that stay along with some dining certificates. Last year I was also able to extend a suite upgrade cert, however, that was for a stay a week after expiry.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 3:38 pm

Programs: Fairmont Platinum, SPG Gold
Free Night Cert Extension

Originally Posted by optimas
I would try calling again.

I actually called in today trying to book the Chateau Lake Louise for Feb 13 as this was the only weekend i was available to use my Free Night Cert. Being that this is Valentine weekend and fairly last minute they had no availability. I ask if there was anyway they could extend the GC, the lady called "Loyalty" and was able to get it extended it by one month (March 31), they also extended all my remaining certs to the end March.

I end up getting the Banff springs for March 12 ^
Old Jan 19, 2016, 9:59 pm

I had no problem using 2016 certs for a September booking and getting my current certs extended to late April (more than generous).
Old Jan 20, 2016, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: FPC Platinum, Aeroplan
Thanks everyone. I contacted the hotel directly, they said they would change it and if when I show up I still don't have the certs (but I will), they will just have to give me the room I booked. I also booked for suite myself just in case, will cancel it March 1 once FPC line itself can confirm my upgrade.

I would still like to get some certs extended though so I am going to call again and try my luck. What number do you call when doing this? I seem to remember I used to call a Platinum line, but I can't find that number anymore (I can't find my card where I think it was printed and no luck online). Is there still a platinum line or just a general FPC number? If there is a platinum number can someone please pass it on, maybe I would have better chances there? I am encouraged that a few of you have been able to extend the expiry again this year!
Old Jan 22, 2016, 10:39 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
I have had success getting my certificates extended (for an existing reservation of course) via the email helpdesk, they are always super helpful.

[email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.