Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Fairmont | Fairmont Presidents Club
Reload this Page >

Exciting News Announcement from Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Exciting News Announcement from Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2015, 8:33 am

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Horrible news... FPC Plat is amazing while Accor Plat... is not. I guess I'll cry into my free drink that Accor provides.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 8:38 am

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by stimpy
Same with Platinum at Sofitel. Read the experiences thread. Almost always a suite upgrade. However if a hotel is sold out and there are no suites, then there are no suites.
But with FPC suite upgrades, that's not a concern. You don't have to worry about the hotel selling out when you get there, because you confirm the upgrade at the time of booking. If the hotel is sold out of suites at the time of booking, you just find a different date. That suite becomes your room, just as if you booked the suite outright, and they can't then sell it to someone else and say that none are available when you check in.

Like Shenanigans, I have booked vacations around such upgrades, and I simply would not have gone without getting the desired suite. A program where upgrades are not confirmed in advance is useless to me. Complimentary upgrades, when available at check-in, are nice, but it's not something I care about or something that would drive me to stay there. Who wants to take a chance of ending up with a base room? And it's not as though I'm expecting to get upgraded on every stay. The upgrade certificates are limited, in that we only get 2 suite upgrades per year. Therefore, I take advantage of 2 complimentary (but guaranteed) upgrades each year, and the rest of the time, I pay full price for the suite I'm staying in. But I would never book a trip without getting a suite, or arrive without knowing that it's confirmed.

I suppose if I was travelling for business, then I might not give a crap what type of room I'm in, and would be happy with occasional upgrades. But I don't go to places like Chateau Lake Louise or Montreux Palace for business meetings. All of my stays at Fairmont properties are for vacation travel, where the guaranteed quality of the room matters.

Last edited by CanadaDH; Dec 10, 2015 at 8:49 am
Old Dec 10, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by CanadaDH
Well, not entirely, since OMERS are the present owners of the Banff Springs, Chateau Lake Louise and the Jasper Park Lodge (in addition to some other current Fairmont managed properties that weren't among the original railway hotels).

A Quebec pension plan, through Ivanhoe Cambridge, also owns a number of the historic railway hotels, including the Chateau Frontenac and the Queen Elizabeth, and a portion of the Royal York.

Quite right. The sale of FRHI, which is really just a management company, won't affect the ownership of the individual properties. Of all of the hotels in the Fairmont, Swissotel and Raffles portfolio, only one is actually owned by FRHI.
Yes - to be clear - the Canadian hotel OWNERSHIP has not changed. Something these liberal news reporters just can't quite seem to figure out in Canada which has resulted in some absolutely terrible reporting. (You should be required to complete a finance class before you work for a newspaper in the business section).

Only the management company has changed. And, obviously any hotels which are corporately owned by Fairmont, although these are few and far between.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 8:54 am

Programs: Marriott & SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, ex-Fairmont Plat, ex-Swissotel Eleva
As a current Fairmont Plat, Swissotel Eleva, AND Accor Plat, I cannot agree with all the gloom surrounding Accor's purchase of Fairmont Group.

Firstly, Accor has improved their Elite benefits.
Accor Plat gets Lounge access, and most importantly earns points on stays and incidentals.

I dine at my local Fairmont very often, and often stayed there when I dine. I have never received a single point for my very substantial F&B spend there. This will change when I am with Accor.

Secondly, I have to chase credits in almost every stay I have with Swissotel and Fairmont, as the strategy for retaining both members is different. (Swissotel is on a rolling 12-months, for a 2 year membership, while Fairmont is yearly. Fairmont Plat do not get lounge access anywhere, including the Swissotel, so I need to get Swissotel Eleva to get my Lounge access in Swissotels. Damn frustrating.) With Accor, all sweeps into 1 account, and the status is recognised everywhere.

I hope Accor extends Plat Lounge benefits to Fairmont (I reckon Swissotel Lounge is a done deal), and if you are given Lounge Access as an Accor Plat, perhaps you will start to see Accor Plat in a different light.

And yes, upgrades do come with Accor Plat, and I have been upgraded to Suites before as well, though not always. So I think instead of feeling upset that you no longer have Suites, you may actually end up with more Suites as you only get 2 Suite vouchers a year. Add Lounge benefit, and the points you will earn from all your Fairmont spending, you will surely be better off.

And you get recognised much more, in areas where there are no Fairmont. Fairmont's footprint is tiny, while Accor is quite good actually. And for the first time, your status will get you into Swissotel's lounges. (and you do not have to try so hard like me to maintain 2 different status, within the same hotel group! )

And of course, the welcome drinks benefit. Always good to have.

The only peeve I have with Accor is, their customer service. If they have the same level of service support as Fairmont's FPC, I would say this is a great deal for Fairmont folks.

So there you have it. I am also a current Starwood Plat, and I am truly upset with Marriott buying Starwood, but for Accor-Fairmont, I am looking forward to it.

In fact, I may even consider making Accor my main program now, subject to a few things: I want to see Accor's plans for integrating Fairmont/Swissotel, and I hope they add a lifetime status. I may write in Accor's thread some suggestions to harness the best policies of each program, and I believe I am one of the rare ones who have Elite status in all 3 programs.

Hope the Liaison of Fairmont in FT and the Accor Concierge reads them and pass it to their senior management for integration decisions.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 8:55 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Shenanigans
One of the key benefits we've enjoyed with Fairmont is guaranteed upgrades to suites
Same with Platinum at Sofitel. Read the experiences thread. Almost always a suite upgrade.
Upgrades that are subject to "availability" (which may or may not be the same as actual availability) are clearly not the same as guaranteed upgrades.

I would not particularly want, or even value, a suite upgrade on around 80% of my hotel nights. For some other trips it would be very welcome -- and on just a few occasions a guaranteed upgrade is the deciding factor in choosing a hotel. For me, and I suspect for many others, a limited number of guaranteed upgrades each year has more value than an unlimited number of "subject to availability on arrival" upgrade chances.

Originally Posted by ZenWorld
I believe I am one of the rare ones who have Elite status in all 3 programs.
I'm sure you are. Thanks for your perspective -- and do please share it with Accor, Fairmont and Swissôtel!
Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:28 am

as long as they still honor the Fairmont gift cards ...
Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:29 am

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by ZenWorld
As a current Fairmont Plat, Swissotel Eleva, AND Accor Plat, I cannot agree with all the gloom surrounding Accor's purchase of Fairmont Group.

Firstly, Accor has improved their Elite benefits.
Accor Plat gets Lounge access, and most importantly earns points on stays and incidentals.

Secondly, I have to chase credits in almost every stay I have with Swissotel and Fairmont, as the strategy for retaining both members is different. (Swissotel is on a rolling 12-months, for a 2 year membership, while Fairmont is yearly. Fairmont Plat do not get lounge access anywhere, including the Swissotel, so I need to get Swissotel Eleva to get my Lounge access in Swissotels. Damn frustrating.) With Accor, all sweeps into 1 account, and the status is recognised everywhere.

I hope Accor extends Plat Lounge benefits to Fairmont (I reckon Swissotel Lounge is a done deal), and if you are given Lounge Access as an Accor Plat, perhaps you will start to see Accor Plat in a different light.
The last thing I want, would be to open up lounge access to Plats. I'm Plat, so I'd benefit, but I don't want them to go that route. With Fairmont, some properties have the "Gold Floor" with access to the gold lounge, and it's marketed sort of like a hotel within a hotel. With a few exceptions, you need to book a gold floor room to get access, and your status doesn't matter. That lounge is more than just a place to grab a quick breakfast. It's a kind of oasis in some properties, and includes dedicated check-in facilities so you can bypass the front desk, and you have dedicated concierge services as well.

If you start opening up the gold lounges to non-gold floor guests, then the lounges are going to get crowded and start to feel like an impersonal airline lounge. Yuck! That will degrade the entire concept. Maybe that's Accor's strategy; to move away from the gold floor concept and to become more "corporate" and impersonal, who knows, but I would not be a fan.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:32 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Originally Posted by SwissCircle
Well, Accor must have been looking hard to find some serious premium hotels to be upping their brand. Now they seem tho have found it.

For those loyal to Fairmont these must be some very bad news.

And the previous posters will most likely be right, their nice club programme will be shred to pieces.
They have always had Pullman and Sofitel. Premium IMO. Try St. James in London. A nice acquirement! Let´s see if they in future still hand out Accor plats for mere Amex plat or cent holders...

Last edited by TTL; Dec 10, 2015 at 9:47 am
Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:48 am

Programs: Marriott & SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, ex-Fairmont Plat, ex-Swissotel Eleva
Originally Posted by IMH

I'm sure you are. Thanks for your perspective -- and do please share it with Accor, Fairmont and Swissôtel!
I am happy to share with them, and have just written in Accor thread.

If Fairmont Liasion in FT or Accor Concierge wishes to approach me, they can drop me a PM.

It is in our interest that Accor-Fairmont comes with with a competitive program!
Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:49 am

Programs: Aeroplan, FPC Platinum, SPG/Marriott Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, BW Diamond Select
Same with Platinum at Sofitel. Read the experiences thread. Almost always a suite upgrade. However if a hotel is sold out and there are no suites, then there are no suites.
I have read some of the experiences thread and there are quite a number of people who have indicated that they're "sort of" or "almost" happy with their stays and also several "no" answers. Certainly not across-the-board endorsements but that's hardly surprising.

As others have already replied, a guaranteed upgrade trumps an 'upgrade based on availability' any day of the week. A possibility of maybe sort of having a chance of being upgraded from a 'standard' to an 'executive' (which it appears might just be a corner room of the same category) absolutely pales in comparison to being guaranteed, for a couple of examples, an upgrade at the Fairmont Monte Carlo from a Fairmont room to a Sea View Suite or at the Montreux Palace from a Fairmont to a Lakeview Suite. To not have received those upgrades months in advance, instead of at check in, would have meant bypassing both Monte Carlo and Montreux; just not interested in staying in Fairmont rooms in either property. Suites in these places are part of the attraction.

Ultimately, we have little choice other than to wait and see what the future holds but I don't think it's unreasonable for most of us to be entirely skeptical that FPC will be as good going forward.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, former UA1K MM lifetime (left UA for DL), FPCPlat, DL Biz and Plat Amex
Maybe it's time to stay home?

Am a plat fairmont member, earning it. Wasn't aware of amex plat fpc waiver. :-(
Fairmont is home. They have nursed me thru the flu in DC, hosted a good morning america tv shoot in San Fran, provided emerg family accommodations in Miramar, etc.
It is our chain of choice.
Each month I plan flexible trips around great rates/dates.
I carry plat fairmont chase cc.
Have been fairmont plat forever.
I repay loyalty with loyalty.
I have a leader lhw membership, intercontinental gold ambassador, plat spg and fpc. I use ihg only for hkg and icn, lhw for ireland and cpt. I never use spg. Fairmont is first choice wherever they are.
I gave up UA after 20 yrs with CO/UA because even as a 1mm and 1k, customer service sucked.
Video conferencing is looking better by the day.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 5:31 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
Fairmont has a special place for me. I'm not a business traveller but fairmont has delivered one of a kind properties that I love.

Not too opposed to merger with accor. Currently the best i can do with fairmont points from chase CC is 1 cpp. With accor, i might be able to do 2 cpp.. I spend 15k a year on the fairmont card. Just worried that they will tinker with the annual free night cert benefit
Old Dec 10, 2015, 7:53 pm

Goodbye and so long....

- Authentically local dining experiences
- Guaranteed sweet sweet suites
- Free workout gear and welcome amenities
- Turn down service
- Outstanding platinum line service agents
- Golf, spa and dining certificates
- Comp'd rides in the BMW
- Great rates, great dates

THE SKY IS FALLING!! Waaah! Sorry Shrek, change is not good donkey (
Old Dec 11, 2015, 8:28 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
re: suites

Not to mention that I have had a guaranteed upgrade to levels of suites that simply do not exist, or that you would never be upgraded to with Accor. Churchill suite at Chateau Frontenac comes to mind...

Horrible news... FPC Plat is amazing while Accor Plat... is not. I guess I'll cry into my free drink that Accor provides.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 8:53 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by Mrs Penner
Goodbye and so long....

- Authentically local dining experiences
- Guaranteed sweet sweet suites
- Free workout gear and welcome amenities
- Turn down service
- Outstanding platinum line service agents
- Golf, spa and dining certificates
- Comp'd rides in the BMW
- Great rates, great dates

THE SKY IS FALLING!! Waaah! Sorry Shrek, change is not good donkey (
You just made me realize how much I love(d) Fairmont

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.