Starwood + Marriott - How Will Fairmont Respond?

Old Nov 26, 15, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Cocos Gold
Starwood + Marriott - How Will Fairmont Respond?

I'm just trying to work the same magic as this thread did:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...respond-3.html
Old Nov 26, 15, 6:55 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
I hope IHG buys them out...which is an about face from what I wanted to see happen, given Marriott/Starwood.
Old Nov 27, 15, 9:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
I hope Fairmont stays independent. Any merger would be disastrous.
Old Nov 27, 15, 10:37 am

Programs: A3*G, Fairmont Pl, Accor Pl, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Platinum
This is my favorite program. So, I am hoping they stay independent.
Old Nov 27, 15, 1:30 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Gold, Fairmont Platinum (No Airline Status, a first in 7 years)
IHG and FRHI couldn't come to terms in October, maybe this changes with the SPG/M merger, but like the above posters I desire an independent FRHI/Fairmont.
Old Nov 28, 15, 3:18 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, LC Aurelian, LCAH Gold, MR Silver, LH M&M Frequent Traveller
Any preferred constellation on your part here - Accor, IHG, Hilton?
Old Nov 28, 15, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Cocos Gold
I actually intended for this post to talk about the possibility of Fairmont offering a status match like Hyatt and Hilton have recently started...
Old Nov 28, 15, 6:24 pm

Fairmont does not compete directly and probably doesn't care. They are still a 100 hotel chain, 3000 or 10000 hotels doesn't change their strategy.
Old Nov 29, 15, 8:45 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, LC Aurelian, LCAH Gold, MR Silver, LH M&M Frequent Traveller
Originally Posted by hailstorm View Post
I actually intended for this post to talk about the possibility of Fairmont offering a status match like Hyatt and Hilton have recently started...
You refer in your introduction in the first post here to the FTs HHonors thread, same title. The topic is discussed openly there in different directions, including merger options.

An offer for status match would not make sense for me personally, as there is only one Fairmont hotel in Germany (four Swissotels or so, if those stays would count), the area I mainly travel. It could make sense especially for Starwood elite members who travel in other parts of the world such as North America and who mainly stay at upscale and luxury hotels. Provided they think it makes sense for them if they have read the news mentioned below.

Originally Posted by AMRivlin View Post
Fairmont does not compete directly and probably doesn't care. They are still a 100 hotel chain, 3000 or 10000 hotels doesn't change their strategy.
Well, you are probably right. Except they are sold to a company with some thousand hotels such as Accor, IHG, Hilton.

Middle East Owners of FRHI Hotels Looking to Sell Luxury Hotel Operator

http://blogs.wsj.com/developments/20...otel-operator/

Marriott buys Starwood; Accor in talks with Fairmont...

http://www.4hoteliers.com/features/article/9423
Old Nov 29, 15, 5:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by submonte View Post
Except they are sold to a company with some thousand hotels such as Accor, IHG, Hilton.
In which case, the answer would be the same. The parent company might do something, but Fairmont would make no response.
Old Nov 29, 15, 5:59 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, FPC Platinum, SPG/Marriott Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, BW Diamond Select
I'm more interested in whether Hilton will status match to Fairmont Platinum. THAT'S a discussion I would guess would be of more interest in this particular forum.

I'll give it a shot and keep my fingers crossed. Have already submitted my request to Hyatt...
Old Nov 29, 15, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Shenanigans View Post
I'm more interested in whether Hilton will status match to Fairmont Platinum. THAT'S a discussion I would guess would be of more interest in this particular forum.

I'll give it a shot and keep my fingers crossed. Have already submitted my request to Hyatt...
As of now, they would only match to Hyatt Platinum, not Hyatt Diamond.
Old Nov 30, 15, 11:56 am

Programs: Free Agent
As of now, they would only match to Hyatt Platinum, not Hyatt Diamond.
+1
Old Nov 30, 15, 12:36 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
I hope Fairmont stays independent. Any merger would be disastrous.
I think the problem is that FRHI's owners, Kingdom Holding Company and Qatar, are having financial difficulties.

Qatar's running its first budget deficit in 15 years due to falling energy prices and an expensive build prior to hosting the World Cup.

Kingdom Holding Company broke ground on Kingdom Tower a couple of years ago. They have plans for $20 Billion in construction for Kingdom Tower and the surrounding area. This will be negative cash flow for quite a few years.
Old Nov 30, 15, 12:52 pm

The Prince did say he will give all of his wealth to charity, this would include his ownership of Kingdom Holdings.

Search this Thread