If you've ever been screwed with the $25 coupons.

 
Old Nov 2, 15, 9:43 am
  #1  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Posts: 19,285
If you've ever been screwed with the $25 coupons.

See subject line. Many properties screwed me out of a few dollars because they insisted the $25 certs were in CDN. In fact, they are always in USD.

When I asked how I can get unscrewed, they said:

"Thank you for your reply. We do apologize that you were misinformed about the currency of your dining certificates. As a loyal member of the Fairmont Presidents Club we will be adding one $25.00 dining/Willow Stream Spa certificate to your profile for use until Feb 29/2016. Please note that we will be following up with our Corporate Office Team so that they can reach out to our Canadian properties to be sure they are aware of the policy in place. If there is anything further that we may assist you with please let us know."

Good on ya Fairmont!
superangrypenguin is offline  
Old Nov 2, 15, 10:13 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Programs: RC Plat
Posts: 5,814
How many SAP's does it take to screw / unscrew a FPC dining cert?
LarkSFO is offline  
Old Nov 2, 15, 10:27 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: YYZ
Programs: TK*G, AC Aeroplan, Fairmont Platinum, Starwood Gold, Nexus/GE, Hertz #1 Gold
Posts: 1,648
I ran into this problem last year at the Fairmont Tremblant, trying to redeem $25 x 4 certs. Desk agent got the front desk manager who was insistent they were in CAD. I even had printouts of the T&Cs from the FPC website stating the certs are in USD. I called FPC on my cell phone, passed it to the front desk manager, where FPC explained to him directly that they are in USD. He then asked FPC to send him an e-mail confirming as much. They eventually credited me in USD, but it shouldn't take that much work.

I later send an old fashioned snail mail letter to FPC, with cc to the hotel GM, requesting that they do a better job of educating the properties on the currency of their certificates.

I received replies from both FPC and the hotel, with the hotel offering of a free dinner on our next visit for our troubles.

I think they eventually got it right, but you shouldn't have to fight with the hotel staff to get them to agree to the terms of their own programs.
CanadaDH is offline  
Old Nov 2, 15, 11:01 am
  #4  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Posts: 19,285
Originally Posted by LarkSFO View Post
How many SAP's does it take to screw / unscrew a FPC dining cert?
One SAP too many!

Since you're from SFO! I invite you to this!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...ir-canada.html
superangrypenguin is offline  
Old Nov 2, 15, 7:04 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Canada
Programs: A3*G, Fairmont Pl, Accor Pl, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Platinum
Posts: 182
Thanks for this! We live in Canada and always use our certs at Canadian properties. We had no idea that these were in US $. With the recent move in the exchange rate - the difference is worth knowing about.

We are off to Quebec City on Wednesday night to stay at the Frontenac and then to Manoir Richelieu for the rest of the week and are planning on using some (or all) of our remaining certs. Will put your info to work for us!

Thanks
codesinvan is offline  
Old Nov 2, 15, 7:32 pm
  #6  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Posts: 19,285
Originally Posted by codesinvan View Post
Thanks for this! We live in Canada and always use our certs at Canadian properties. We had no idea that these were in US $. With the recent move in the exchange rate - the difference is worth knowing about.

We are off to Quebec City on Wednesday night to stay at the Frontenac and then to Manoir Richelieu for the rest of the week and are planning on using some (or all) of our remaining certs. Will put your info to work for us!

Thanks
No worries. By the way, I forget what the main restaurant is, but the formal main dining restaurant is absolutely superb.

Best gluten free bread I've had in my LIFE at that property.

PS ask for a renovated room. The rooms were similar to the renovated rooms at the Palliser. Great rooms. I usually stay on the main floor since those rooms are renovated.

Last edited by superangrypenguin; Nov 2, 15 at 7:57 pm
superangrypenguin is offline  
Old Nov 2, 15, 8:13 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Programs: RC Plat
Posts: 5,814
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin View Post
One SAP too many!

Since you're from SFO! I invite you to this!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...ir-canada.html
Thank you, kind Penguin (I know you can't really be super angry if you are truly a Canadian!)

I have bookmarked that thread, and will keep my eye on it. The weekend is already aiming to be a little hectic though, eh.
LarkSFO is offline  
Old Nov 2, 15, 8:20 pm
  #8  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Posts: 19,285
Originally Posted by LarkSFO View Post
Thank you, kind Penguin (I know you can't really be super angry if you are truly a Canadian!)

I have bookmarked that thread, and will keep my eye on it. The weekend is already aiming to be a little hectic though, eh.
Yanksgiving and all There's 4 people committed at this point, I can't update that thread though, can't ruin it
superangrypenguin is offline  
Old Nov 3, 15, 7:39 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Canada
Programs: A3*G, Fairmont Pl, Accor Pl, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Platinum
Posts: 182
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin View Post
No worries. By the way, I forget what the main restaurant is, but the formal main dining restaurant is absolutely superb.

Best gluten free bread I've had in my LIFE at that property.

PS ask for a renovated room. The rooms were similar to the renovated rooms at the Palliser. Great rooms. I usually stay on the main floor since those rooms are renovated.
Thanks for the tips penguin. We will try the gluten free bread for sure.
codesinvan is offline  
Old Nov 7, 15, 5:25 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Charleston, SC, USA
Programs: Avis Chairman's, Hertz Au+ , IHG Au, Hyatt, Honors Au (Amex), Marriott Pt & Life Au, Accor Ag
Posts: 6,530
I still remember using $25 cert.s (& I posted back then ) in 2012 when the loonie was slightly (2%?) ABOVE the greenback. The Fairmont Vancouver ignored the trivial difference & took it at par, while Banff Springs took my other one as C$23.75 IIRC (95 Cdn. cents per US$) which was their forex rate for cash at the reception.
Brendan is offline  
Old Nov 9, 15, 9:19 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Seattle
Programs: SE100K (Star Gold)
Posts: 125
Thanks for this Mr. Penguin.
above.the.clouds is offline  
Old Nov 16, 15, 2:10 pm
  #12  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Posts: 19,285
So when it posts, it posts as....

*$25 Dining/Willow Stream Certificate

The * being the differentiator. Took a few days but I got it
superangrypenguin is offline  
Old Nov 23, 15, 7:35 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: YYC
Programs: Aeroplan, FPC Platinum, SPG/Marriott Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, BW Diamond Select
Posts: 291
I haven't had too many problems convincing properties that the certificates are in USD but what's worse is the exchange rate that they apply to them which is their prevailing front desk rate. IOW, not very favourable.

Still better now with the Canadian dollar where it's at than it was a few years ago, as Brendan noted.
Shenanigans is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread