Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Fairmont | Fairmont Presidents Club
Reload this Page >

Unforgettable-moments-offer and upgrades (for 40$)

Old Sep 22, 2015, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat

I booked a King deluxe room using the "Unforgettable moments offer" last week-end.
This rate (20% cheaper than flexible rate) includes an upgrade if available at check-in, according to the website :
Enjoy a complimentary room upgrade based upon availability when you book the Unforgettable Moments Offer online through Fairmont.com*
So when I checked I asked about upgrade availability and here is my experience :
- did you check the case for it (I realize latter she was talking about the nor1 estandby upgrade).
- no I didn't, as I haven't see the case...
- ok let me see what I have... I have a Deluxe Corner King, it's going to be 40$...
- hum, wait a minute (I checked my Tab to find the rate conditions...). Please have a look, they said the fare is eligible for upgrade if available...
- yes that is right but it does not means it's free. Upgrades are never free, sorry for any misunderstanding. We just have one corner room available and we may sell it later today so we won't give it for free.
- ok fine, let's keep the original Deluxe king...

To be fair with the hotel it was 1.30pm so they may have wait the official check-in time (3pm). Also the accountability accept to lower my non-refundable rate after the rate dropped on their website which is a nice action...
Still, curious to know what do you think about the check-in experience...
Old Sep 22, 2015, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Sounds like complete bogus to me.

"Upgrade based on availability at check-in" has always meant a complimentary one-category upgrade (or in some cases a complimentary upgrade to the next available category; within reason) Sometimes the suites, multi-bedroom suites or speciality suites are excluded, but I've never een any restrictions regarding Deluxe rooms.

And her statement that "upgrades are never free" is complete nonsense, there are dozens of rates (AMEX FHR, Virtuoso, Ensemble, Signature etc.) which come with a free upgrade based on availability.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 8:20 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Sounds like a mis-informed employee and nothing like the normal Fairmont experience.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 11:26 pm

Programs: MPC Green, AC Tangerine :)
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Sounds like complete bogus to me.

"Upgrade based on availability at check-in" has always meant a complimentary one-category upgrade (or in some cases a complimentary upgrade to the next available category; within reason) Sometimes the suites, multi-bedroom suites or speciality suites are excluded, but I've never een any restrictions regarding Deluxe rooms.

And her statement that "upgrades are never free" is complete nonsense, there are dozens of rates (AMEX FHR, Virtuoso, Ensemble, Signature etc.) which come with a free upgrade based on availability.
can't agree more, was she trying to say in essence "complimentary doesn't mean free" ?

i'd suggest you kindly point that out in the customer feedback after the stay, which property was this may i ask?
Old Sep 30, 2015, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
The property was Le Chateau Montebello.
I answered the survey on my stay letting them know what happened. Just got an answer, they apologized for the check-in experience and recognized that I should have get the upgraded room (and offered a complimentary upgrade for my next stay in the best room - noting that there is no suite here at all).

Overall the communication with the property was good (when they adjusted the non-refundable rate, and with their apology...), just a bad check-in experience will not make me angry against them, hopefully some training will happen at the front desk.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.