Pacific Rim: no suite upgrades loaded in the system for the rest of 2015...

Old Sep 9, 15, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs down Pacific Rim: no suite upgrades loaded in the system for the rest of 2015...

..and probably beyond - we didn't check..

After extensive discussion FPC folks (who couldn't find a single night of junior suite availability) transferred me to Pacific Rim in-house reservations. A nice lady explained how busy they are and how few suites they have and how many PC members want to stay there () and suggested to contact the property directly if i wanted to secure an upgrade with FPC certificate.

Since Fairmont is making money off their relationship with Chase that flooded the market with certs, they should at least enforce the rules with individual properties...
Old Sep 9, 15, 4:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post

After extensive discussion FPC folks (who couldn't find a single night of junior suite availability) transferred me to Pacific Rim in-house reservations. A nice lady explained how busy they are and how few suites they have and how many PC members want to stay there () and suggested to contact the property directly if i wanted to secure an upgrade with FPC certificate.

Since Fairmont is making money off their relationship with Chase that flooded the market with certs, they should at least enforce the rules with individual properties...
I must have missed this. What relationship with Chase?
Old Sep 9, 15, 4:50 pm
Moderator: Le Club Accorhotels

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin View Post
I must have missed this. What relationship with Chase?
The Fairmont co-branded credit card in the US is issued by Chase and all cardholders receive Premier status (incl. all certs) each year as long as they have the card (plus two free night certs as a sign-up bonus); as result the number of Premier members has drastically increased.
Old Sep 9, 15, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post

I agree it's rather ridiculous. Afaik the Pacific Rim only has two junior suites. I don't think it would be unreasonable for the hotel to allow certs to be applied towards the standard one-bedroom suites.

(The previous GM actually changed the hotel's policy to allow this, but it seems as if the current GM has introduced a very restrictive policy).
Old Sep 9, 15, 6:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Jasper2009 View Post
The Fairmont co-branded credit card in the US is issued by Chase and all cardholders receive Premier status (incl. all certs) each year as long as they have the card (plus two free night certs as a sign-up bonus); as result the number of Premier members has drastically increased.
More plebs in the Fairmont program?

Le Sigh. Reducing the value of the brand Real Platinums ftw
Old Sep 14, 15, 7:30 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
This hotel has been absolutely jammed packed as of late. It;s funny to think when this thing was first developed people predicted it was going to go under. Now it is hard to get a room any night of the week!
Old Sep 14, 15, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh View Post
This hotel has been absolutely jammed packed as of late. It;s funny to think when this thing was first developed people predicted it was going to go under. Now it is hard to get a room any night of the week!
Just curious who predicted it going under?

Back to suite upgrades here it has become a pita with respect to this hotel. On a biz trip I don't care which room I get but when visiting friends on a weekend and hoping to entertain them in a suite it shouldn't be this hard. Having just 2 suites for suite upgrades in the entire hotel is bogus imho.

At the end day the better half and I spend about 45 nights a year in Vancouver and we have taken our biz elsewhere
Old Sep 15, 15, 8:59 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
There is nothing in the PacRim comp set that permits upgrades with certs.. I can't blame them for protecting their margins as much as possible. They even only do a 4th night free promo whereas most of the comp set does a 3rd night
Old Sep 20, 15, 11:54 am

Programs: *S (TK), Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold
Afaik the Pacific Rim only has two junior suites.
That's one more than I was told at check in.

I managed, in Jan, to use suite upgrade cert for a stay in Sep. CSR was shocked to find space. "Wow, I'm so used to telling people it's not available," she said something to that effect.

It really is a fantastic room (and hotel) though. I'm not sure what the normal rooms look like, but I couldn't be happier with the junior suite. Well worth planning ahead. I have a video review coming up in that thread.
Old Sep 20, 15, 12:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
The Pac Rim does allow you to book a slightly higher room and upgrade to a much nicer suite than the Junior Suite. Or at least they did last year.
Old Oct 4, 15, 9:24 pm

Programs: Various Programs of Interest & LT Collector.
How I miss Mr Gimmi... He was excellent and was the first hotel manager at Fairmont use the expresion "we turn moments into memories". In the last year or two I see Fairmont uses it in many places. Its a shame they no longer allow other suites to be booked with the suite upgrade and block the ones they do have. Very Sad...

I agree it's rather ridiculous. Afaik the Pacific Rim only has two junior suites. I don't think it would be unreasonable for the hotel to allow certs to be applied towards the standard one-bedroom suites.

(The previous GM actually changed the hotel's policy to allow this, but it seems as if the current GM has introduced a very restrictive policy).
Old Oct 4, 15, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by TravelGuy1965 View Post
How I miss Mr Gimmi... He was excellent and was the first hotel manager at Fairmont use the expresion "we turn moments into memories". In the last year or two I see Fairmont uses it in many places. Its a shame they no longer allow other suites to be booked with the suite upgrade and block the ones they do have. Very Sad...
Fully agree. Rudolf (Rudi) Gimmi was a first-class manager, I had several good conversations with him and he knew how to take care of the more loyal customers. Unfortunately he left Fairmont ~1.5 years ago.

The Pacific Rim's first GM (Mr. Zupanski) was also excellent.

Same as you, I haven't been overly impressed with some of the policies at the Pacific Rim lately, though some of the staff are truly outstanding.
Old Oct 27, 15, 9:06 am

Programs: FPC Platinum, SPG Gold
I was one of the lucky few who managed to book a stay with the suite upgrade for later on this year. When I called in to apply my certificate, a couple months ago, I was told the same as the OP. I made a couple phone calls to the hotel directly and spoke to the in house reservations team. After a couple back and forth conversations, I managed to get my confirmed upgrade.

So, it's possible that they are available, it may just require more work than normal.
Old Oct 31, 15, 11:46 am

Programs: Various Programs of Interest & LT Collector.
Agreed... Some of the staff is great. In 2013 we stayed there one night on my daughters birthday when we were returning from Whistler. During breakfast at Oru a waiter named Nick spent the time to draw a birthday card himself. It was very impressive... He then had each of the people working in the restaurant sign it and gave it to my daughter along with a special banana break cake with a candle. My daughter was astounded and said it was the nicest thing anyone had ever done for her. She is very creative and loves art so a card that was hand drawn so well made a very strong impression on her.

Fully agree. Rudolf (Rudi) Gimmi was a first-class manager, I had several good conversations with him and he knew how to take care of the more loyal customers. Unfortunately he left Fairmont ~1.5 years ago.

The Pacific Rim's first GM (Mr. Zupanski) was also excellent.

Same as you, I haven't been overly impressed with some of the policies at the Pacific Rim lately, though some of the staff are truly outstanding.

Search this Thread