Fairmont Royal York introducing capacity controls on suite upgrades?

Old Aug 27, 15, 4:43 am
Moderator: Le Club Accorhotels
Original Poster

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Thumbs down Fairmont Royal York introducing capacity controls on suite upgrades?

I had a rather irritating experience dealing with the Fairmont Royal York in Toronto:

As usual, I called the FPC Plat line to apply one of my suite upgrade certs towards an upcoming stay. The agent told me that no suite upgrades were available which seemed odd since all suite categories showed up as bookable on the Fairmont website.

The agent confirmed that the designated suite upgrade category was the "Delxue One Bedroom Suite", but insisted no upgrades were available.

Thinking thereÄs some sort of error, I followed up with the res department at the Royal York and received this response:

"We have Deluxe One Bedroom suites allocated towards Fairmont President’s Club member upgrades with the remaining being left for paying guests."

So it seems they've introduced capacity controls on the use of upgrade certs / randomly decide whether upgrade certs can be used - which is absolutely ridiculous IMO.

I believe this also violates FPC policy which has always been that you can upgrade if the designated suite category is available and the dates aren't blacked out.

I very much hope this is an isolated incident and not some new ridiculous, Fairmont-wide policy.

Old Aug 27, 15, 7:32 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Jasper2009 View Post
I had a rather irritating experience dealing with the Fairmont Royal York in Toronto:

As usual, I called the FPC Plat line to apply one of my suite upgrade certs towards an upcoming stay. The agent told me that no suite upgrades were available which seemed odd since all suite categories showed up as bookable on the Fairmont website.

The agent confirmed that the designated suite upgrade category was the "Delxue One Bedroom Suite", but insisted no upgrades were available.

Thinking thereÄs some sort of error, I followed up with the res department at the Royal York and received this response:

"We have Deluxe One Bedroom suites allocated towards Fairmont President’s Club member upgrades with the remaining being left for paying guests."

So it seems they've introduced capacity controls on the use of upgrade certs / randomly decide whether upgrade certs can be used - which is absolutely ridiculous IMO.

I believe this also violates FPC policy which has always been that you can upgrade if the designated suite category is available and the dates aren't blacked out.

I very much hope this is an isolated incident and not some new ridiculous, Fairmont-wide policy.

Did you contact Fairmont? This is ridiculous. I'd have lost it especially since I hate this property
Old Aug 27, 15, 10:28 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Gold, Fairmont Platinum (No Airline Status, a first in 7 years)
Yikes. Please voice your opinion to Corp.
Old Aug 29, 15, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have given up on room and suite upgrades. 3rd year in a row where both the suite and room upgrades go unused.
Old Aug 29, 15, 9:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Good thing I have no reason to visit this poperty, but I hope it doesn't spread.
Old Aug 31, 15, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Well, I sent in a complaint and had a pleasant and productive e-mail exchange with the GM / regional VP:

All of our traditional, non renovated suites (Superior One Bedroom, Premium One Bedroom and Deluxe One Bedroom) qualify for use in conjunction with upgrade certificates. There are no capacity controls surrounding this but as always certificate use is subject to guestroom availability. (...)
Our renovated suites are referred to as Luxury Superior One Bedroom, Luxury Premium One Bedroom and Luxury Deluxe One Bedroom (...) and the FPC upgrade certificates are unfortunately not applicable to the renovated suites.

So I guess the refusal of the FPC Plat line and in-house reservations to apply the upgrade towards the Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite was a glitch.
Old Aug 31, 15, 12:07 pm

Programs: AC, WS, DL, SPG Plus, FPC Premier
Originally Posted by Jasper2009 View Post

(...) and the FPC upgrade certificates are unfortunately not applicable to the renovated suites.
Interesting. Does this exclusion only apply to cert upgrades from a standard (non-renovated) Fairmont room? IME I have had more options when applying a cert to a (renovated) Fairmont Luxury room.
Old Aug 31, 15, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by screw2000 View Post
Interesting. Does this exclusion only apply to cert upgrades from a standard (non-renovated) Fairmont room? IME I have had more options when applying a cert to a (renovated) Fairmont Luxury room.
Interesting. My impression was that all Luxury suites were excluded.

That being said, all suites should be renovated within ~1 year, so this presumably is only a temporary policy anyway.
Old Aug 31, 15, 4:43 pm

But at the end of the day what the hotel is saying lets treat our most loyal guests with our old product and take their certificate.

Search this Thread