"Fairmont Ovation 1 Night Stay Gift Certificate"?

Old Mar 8, 15, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *S (TK), Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold
"Fairmont Ovation 1 Night Stay Gift Certificate"?

It, exactly as titled, is available through my company's reward program. Trouble is, it does not mention the concept of collection A/B/C anywhere. Here's the entire (useless) description:

Three distinct brands, Fairmont, Raffles and Swissotel, have combined to provide the world's finest accommodations for discerning travelers. Elegant accommodations and impeccable service in the world's finest destinations are elements that all of our brands share. With 110 locations in 42 countries and growing, guests choose from distinctive portfolio of luxury and upper upscale hotels features celebrated icons, world-class resorts and stylish city center hotels. Some notable hotels include the Raffles Singapore, The Banff Springs in Alberta, The Fairmont San Francisco and London's The Savoy. There is also no limit on the number of Ovation Rewards Certificates our guests may use per visit.

And here is the equally useless T&C:

Fairmont Hotels & Resorts Terms and Conditions

Fairmont Hotels & Resorts gift cards can be used for accommodations and more, including spa services, dining or golf, tennis and other leisure activities at any facility managed by Fairmont Hotels & Resorts. Gift Cards are not replaceable if lost, stolen or destroyed. For a full list of terms and conditions, please visit http://www.fairmont.com/promotions/giftcardterms. Fairmont Hotels & Resorts Gift Cards may not be valid where restricted by law. Fairmont Hotels & Resorts Gift Cards are not redeemable for cash and are void if sold for cash or other consideration. Any tax liability, including disclosure, connected with receipt or use of this card is the recipient's responsibility. Cards are fully transferable and combinable.

So does that mean it can be used at ANY Fairmont property? That seems too good to be true for 300 pts ($300 worth), but nowhere on the page suggests otherwise.

Here's a screenshot.

Old Mar 9, 15, 6:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by italdesign View Post
So does that mean it can be used at ANY Fairmont property?
Since it's your company's program, I suggest you ask them. Nobody else can sensibly answer this question.
Old Mar 10, 15, 9:33 am
Moderator: Le Club Accorhotels

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Based on the $300 figure I'd guess it's either a Collection A or Collection B (Fairmont room category) ovation cert, but asking your company would obviously make most sense.
Old Mar 10, 15, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
So does that mean it can be used at ANY Fairmont property?
Since it's your company's program, I suggest you ask them. Nobody else can sensibly answer this question.
Indeed, but pretty much any answer I get here beats the run around from such a company outsource to another company to another company situation. I wanted to see if anyone has gotten the identical one and can comment.
Old Mar 11, 15, 11:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
I wanted to see if anyone has gotten the identical one and can comment.
The problem is the "identical", as it would have to be redeemed in the exact same award program (I'm sure many companies use awardhq.com, and all in different ways). Since you haven't provided your company name or any other identifying features of the program, how can anyone know if they fall into that category?
Old Mar 16, 15, 9:03 am
Original Poster

As expected, 15 minutes on the phone and the generic agent was absolutely clueless about the merchandise beyond the description on the website. Talked to a supervisor, came back and said that's the only info Fairmont gave them.

Now, somewhere someone knows the answer. Probably someone at Fairmont. But the fact is the merchandise is missing information and it will not help anyone by being that way. I will call back and ask what is their process to fix such a situation.
Old Mar 19, 15, 6:03 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion
As the ad you posted shows a $100 gift cards for 100 points, I would assume the value of a 300 point Fairmont Ovation would be around $300. Given that, I would think you are looking at a Collection B Standard Room certificate:

Here's a link to where you can buy and use those:
https://www.workingadvantage.com/pro...&prodID=31551&
Old Mar 20, 15, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TravelStar View Post
As the ad you posted shows a $100 gift cards for 100 points, I would assume the value of a 300 point Fairmont Ovation would be around $300. Given that, I would think you are looking at a Collection B Standard Room certificate:

Here's a link to where you can buy and use those:
https://www.workingadvantage.com/pro...&prodID=31551&
Thanks. It would be great if it was B. But programs such as my company's are known to jack up prices, so it wouldn't surprise me to be A either. I have opened a case with them and they are supposed to investigate. Yet I'm doubtful I will hear back. Such is how these things are.
Old Mar 20, 15, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

OK, they did call me back with an answer, and TravelStar's estimate was correct. It is for collection B.
Old May 14, 15, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Got it today. Collection B standard room it is.

The T&C is pretty open-ended on the restrictions. Anyone know the actual details? I would like an idea of how restrictive it is. The blackout dates on the free night CC certs can be pretty bad for some properties.

Ovation Rewards are redeemable based upon last room availability in the room category purchased (some exceptions may apply). Some restrictions may apply to special event dates. Minimum night stays may be required.
Old May 15, 15, 10:23 am

Programs: Amex Centurion
Ovation Reward Certificates are NOT very restrictive in my experience. I've used them many times and never had a problem or encountered a blackout date.
Old May 17, 15, 4:23 am

Programs: Leaders Unlimited,Fairmont Platinum,SLH Loved,IC Ambassador
Originally Posted by TravelStar View Post
Ovation Reward Certificates are NOT very restrictive in my experience. I've used them many times and never had a problem or encountered a blackout date.
Ditto, I have found these certificates have brilliant availability at the fairmont monte carlo (i think C level)

Search this Thread