Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Fairmont | Fairmont Presidents Club
Reload this Page >

Targeted AMEX Canada - Spend $500 at Fairmont by 12/31, get $100 AMEX Credit

Targeted AMEX Canada - Spend $500 at Fairmont by 12/31, get $100 AMEX Credit

Old Jan 10, 2014, 6:00 pm

My stay finished the 31st but posted on the 1st of Jan .

I tried it with both my AMEX's... first one posted the $100 within 2 days, no problems. The late posting one hasn't posted now, so I'm sure I'm going to have to wait the 8 weeks while they're hoping I forget about it.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by painintheuk
It has been 2 weeks since I called. I was told that I would hear back in a few days and while I realize it was the holidays I don't hold out much hope any more. I think that I may be out of luck just because Fairmont Singapore is managed by Raffles. It seems a ridiculous loophole given that Singapore was on the list of hotels in the promotion.

I'll try again next week. My time is getting worth more than the $100 though .

Dr. PITUK
Another call today. The message on my file was apparently the wording from the promo. The agent asked if I stayed at Raffles (which was the name on the charge since they manage the hotel).

She resent the request and said that if the credit did not show up next week I should ask for a supervisor.

Dr. PITUK

Last edited by painintheuk; Jan 11, 2014 at 12:07 am
Old Jan 11, 2014, 7:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
got the email:

Your Fairmont vacation is complete – and now your American Express statement credit awaits. Your card will feel a whole lot lighter.

Your $100 (CAD) statement credit from American Express will be applied to a future statement. The statement credit will appear on the Basic Cardmember’s American Express account for the qualifying purchase.
The system works great if the charge is posted and the rules are followed. Plus a one shot Fairmont charge of $500 or above. Outside these parameters, its a bit painstaking to follow up. Seems like a labyrinth of bureaucracy to get it fixed.

Anyone have success getting any of the issues fixed? Keep us updated.. no rush.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 12:36 pm

Another call today. The message on my file was apparently the wording from the promo. The agent asked if I stayed at Raffles (which was the name on the charge since they manage the hotel).

She resent the request and said that if the credit did not show up next week I should ask for a supervisor.

Dr. PITUK
Yet another call today and still no luck. Apparently there is a note on my file saying that the payment comes up to 8 weeks after the end of the promo and that everybody would get paid at the same time. When I pointed out that others had received it and I read out the t&c which clearly say that it is 8 weeks after the qualifying purchase they said I was wrong and apologized.

I guess I'll call back again in 6 weeks.

On the plus side (though unrelated) I'm using my new Plat status for 2 nights (1 free, 1 FHR) at the Fairmont Pacific Rim next month with Mrs. PITUK. There's no suites to upgrade to, but a room upgrade, free dinner and free spa treatment at what is supposed to be a great hotel will be fun!

Dr. PITUK
Old Jan 18, 2014, 6:27 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Fairmont Platinum
Waiting for 2 x 100$. Received the e-mail confirming registration, charged over 500$ to two cards at the Orchid. Now over 12 weeks and still waiting.

Called in, they opened a case file. Sent me a letter to confirm they were looking into it. Says it can take 8-12 weeks to hear anything back after opening a case lol.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 8:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MtlFire
Waiting for 2 x 100$. Received the e-mail confirming registration, charged over 500$ to two cards at the Orchid. Now over 12 weeks and still waiting.

Called in, they opened a case file. Sent me a letter to confirm they were looking into it. Says it can take 8-12 weeks to hear anything back after opening a case lol.
When was your transaction post date? Is Fairmont listed on the bill?

The deal credit seemed pretty automatic and posted quickly.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 4:50 pm

Yet another call today and still no luck. Apparently there is a note on my file saying that the payment comes up to 8 weeks after the end of the promo and that everybody would get paid at the same time. When I pointed out that others had received it and I read out the t&c which clearly say that it is 8 weeks after the qualifying purchase they said I was wrong and apologized.

Dr. PITUK
Called today regarding my 100$ credit. The AMEX rep spent about 10 minutes confirming the appropriate charges and promised a credit within 3 business days.
I'll have to wait and see. The rep did say it should have been automatic but my account required a manual transaction.

Cleo
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:41 am

Programs: *G
Further update

My credit has still not posted, and as I suspected, it's because the charges were in two separate postings, one for the prepaid deposit (specifically allowed as a qualifying purchase) and the other the on-site hotel spend. The AMEX agent I spoke to said that the terms should have stated that it all had to be one charge to qualify, but they acknowledge that the terms did not say that, so the credit will need to be handled manually, which they will do. It does, however, seem that you have to contact them to get action.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 7:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fin 645
My credit has still not posted, and as I suspected, it's because the charges were in two separate postings, one for the prepaid deposit (specifically allowed as a qualifying purchase) and the other the on-site hotel spend. The AMEX agent I spoke to said that the terms should have stated that it all had to be one charge to qualify, but they acknowledge that the terms did not say that, so the credit will need to be handled manually, which they will do. It does, however, seem that you have to contact them to get action.
They are working on it.. and taking action on the spot. And still no posting of your $100 Amex credit.

Seems like more time is wasted trying to get Amex to fulfill their end of the bargain, then its worth.

I ended up not charging my 3rd Amex for the $100 promo. Sometimes maxing out on a deal gets me brain damage. I just don't have the stomach to follow up as diligently as you guys on the $100 credit.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 7:50 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, *G, OW G, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat
Mine posted correctly on two amexs... pretty seamlessly sorry to hear about everyone elses troubles
Old Feb 8, 2014, 7:41 am

These things never post for me. I had 2 500$+ stays at the Orchid on two seperate cards. Got the emails about being registered, but not the cash. Waited past the 8 weeks and then called. They couldn't find anything about a promotion, had no clue what I was talking about. The guy started a huge process with case numbers, may take 3-6 months. I get e-mails and letters updating me. But it all talks about "contesting the charges".

This week got a letter that they still haven't heard back from the Orchid.

Its a AMEX promotion, not Orchid.

I called back, got someone a little more on the ball. Put me on hold and after talking to a supervisor said the 2 x 100$ amounts would be requested out of marketing and I'd see it on-line in a few days.

I'm willing to bet it won't be that simple lol
Old Feb 8, 2014, 7:43 am
Suspended

The smooth postings.. Seems to be Fairmont hotels in Canada? Other Fairmonts internationally isn't posting smoothly.

Those having trouble, are they Fairmonts outside of Canada?

Last edited by Ancien Maestro; Feb 8, 2014 at 4:16 pm Reason: fixed a mistake
Old Feb 8, 2014, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
When was your transaction post date? Is Fairmont listed on the bill?

The deal credit seemed pretty automatic and posted quickly.
Two stays in early october 2013 at the Orchid. Both over 500$, both clearly listed as the Fairmont Orchid. One a FHR rate, the other a advance purchase gold floor rate.

One on the platinum card, one on the gold card. Both registered before, and received emails for both confirming the registration of the cards.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 9:46 am

Programs: *G
My credit denied

I posted back on Jan 27 that AMEX said that the credit would be manually handled. Since it had not yet appeared, I phoned again today and was told this time that the credit had been denied, because the conditions stated that, to be eligible, it had to be "a purchase of $500 or more". Mine was posted in two pieces for the one stay.

Of course, if I had been on the ball, I could have topped it up with a gift card or got the hotel (Montebello) to credit the advance charge and bill the total (including on site purchases) in one new charge.

Caveat Emptor I guess, and I strongly suspect that I am not the only whose credit has been denied, and it is a sorry reflection on marketing ploys by either or both of AMEX and Fairmont.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 9:59 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by fin 645
I posted back on Jan 27 that AMEX said that the credit would be manually handled. Since it had not yet appeared, I phoned again today and was told this time that the credit had been denied, because the conditions stated that, to be eligible, it had to be "a purchase of $500 or more". Mine was posted in two pieces for the one stay.

Of course, if I had been on the ball, I could have topped it up with a gift card or got the hotel (Montebello) to credit the advance charge and bill the total (including on site purchases) in one new charge.

Caveat Emptor I guess, and I strongly suspect that I am not the only whose credit has been denied, and it is a sorry reflection on marketing ploys by either or both of AMEX and Fairmont.
That's a complete rip off. I read again the first post of the discussion and there is nothing like it has to be in one shot (but instead they said one stay).
Would suggest to push the issue to a supervisor.
Will call in a couple of weeks about mine, they said back in December I have to wait but I am definitely eligible, and they add a note in my file...

EDIT T&C: Charge $500 (CAD) or more (after taxes) in qualifying purchases to your registered Card between October 3, 2013 and December 31, 2013 on a stay at a participating Fairmont Hotels & Resorts property. Qualifying purchases include the room cost and any charges billed directly to the room.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.