Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fairmont Chase Signature Card

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2017, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by khlay
Andaz is cat6 : 25,000. You will have 2 night + 10k left over That's why I think Fairmont points are bad!
technically you are correct, but the Andaz Maui does not have any award nights for stays under 7 nights.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: Bonvoy P, HHonors Dia, Hyatt Disc, FPC, Alaskan, Hawaiian, AA, United, Elevate, Amex
Originally Posted by trubador
technically you are correct, but the Andaz Maui does not have any award nights for stays under 7 nights.
Whaaaat? Is that actually a policy they have?

I stayed 5 nights there before (2 from Visa sign-up, and 3 from points).
This was probably 2013.

If that's the policy, why don't they just say so, rather than saying no nights are available, when I try to book less than 7 nights?
Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: Bonvoy P, HHonors Dia, Hyatt Disc, FPC, Alaskan, Hawaiian, AA, United, Elevate, Amex
Originally Posted by BA_Jfan
Has anyone determined whether those of us who have never had a CSP would still get the bonus when the card gets converted?
I was told we will NOT.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by jch636
It's hard to justify putting $6k on the card for a stay cert that expires 2/28/17. My last Fairmont stay was in Singapore where they upgraded me to a penthouse suite using the suite upgrade cert. However, I have no plans to go back there, or the nicer Fairmont properties in Hawaii or Canada any time soon. As a local, the SF or Sonoma Fairmonts aren't that appealing....
Since I live in Sonoma County, I used a cert at the SF Fairmont when I was going to a concert in SF. Better than driving home after the show. Parked a block and a half down the hill, to save money on parking.

We like the Sonoma Fairmont, too. Went to a NYE party there, so it only made sense to stay that night. Have stayed there a couple other times, too. Enjoyed using the food certs at the Big 3, but I think that's gone now.
Tried Sante, but was not impressed at all.

If I was going back to Maui before the end of Feb, it would totally be worth it. I'd have 2 certs I could use at the Kea Lani. But I already have a trip to Maui planned between then and now, and unlikely I'd be going twice in 8 months. Still, I might spend the 6k for local use.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Does anyone have experience with using the $25 certificates for afternoon tea at The Plaza? I would love to experience it but don't want to drop $75 plus tax and tip for the privilege. If I burn both certificates, it drops down to a very reasonable $25 plus tax and tip on the $75.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Ramonmv
Whaaaat? Is that actually a policy they have?

I stayed 5 nights there before (2 from Visa sign-up, and 3 from points).
This was probably 2013.

If that's the policy, why don't they just say so, rather than saying no nights are available, when I try to book less than 7 nights?

It is a newish policy they have had for about a year I think.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 7:26 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, DL PM, AA Plat, Hyatt Plat
Signing bonus situation- recommendations?

Originally Posted by mhdena
Better apply before August 15th to get the CSP bonus. Maybe even the 1st of August to be safe.

And then PC the Fairmont CSP to a Freedom.
Hey there-- I've read thru most of this thread but am still not sure I'm clear on my best move here, specifically in regards to the above question/reply about earning the CSP signing bonus.

My situation:

I have had the Fairmont card for 3 years and have not applied for any Chase cards since. Only other Chase card I have is the Hyatt Visa (have had for longer).

My S/O has the CSP card and could refer me to get a referral bonus for him and then I could get the 50K points currently being offered as signing bonus.

Would it be best for me to apply for the CSP card now (using his referral link) or is there a reason to wait? Then (assuming I get approved), what happens with the "replacement" card (Fairmont--> Sapphire Preferred) I'm supposed to be receiving from Chase after August 15th (per the letter they sent)? Will they forego sending me that card if I'm approved via my application or will I need to cancel that card? I see from the quote above the recommendation to "PC the Fairmont CSP to a Freedom"-- I believe this means to ask them to downgrade the card they send me automatically, but I would prefer to avoid having another card if possible.

Its all a bit confusing and I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing in terms of trying to secure the 50k signing bonus and also be mindful of how much my credit score would be dinged in the process of all this.

Truly appreciate any feedback, pls forgive me if this has already been addressed/ answered...I still cant seem to come to a conclusion after reading thru the thread and browsing thru the blogs.

Thank you!

etcd21
Old Jul 3, 2017, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by Ramonmv
So that would be if I transfer the UR points to Hyatt points, right? Because I saw less than 2 nights if I try booking the room using UR points.
Although in the past, I have seen where I could book a room with UR points, where none were available using Hyatt points.
I was hoping to use my 2 Fairmont certs and add 2 or 3 nights for a stay at the Kea Lani. Looks like I'd be better off with a nice stay at the Andaz (which has better food, anyway). I can always use the Fairmont certs for a weekend staycation in Sonoma or SF.
Kea Lani food is fine, however, there is shopping center not too far away (5 min) that has a couple of good restaurants. And there is this really good Japanese Restaurant, Morimoto Maui (run by Iron Chef Masaharu Morimoto) which should not be missed. It's in the Andaz Hyatt, but it's worth going to if you like Japanese food.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Etcd21
My S/O has the CSP card and could refer me to get a referral bonus for him and then I could get the 50K points currently being offered as signing bonus.

Use his referral now, Win Win. And then add him as an AU for 5K more points. No annual fee year one.

When the Fairmont changes to CSP see about changing it then, whats unclear is how long you may have to keep the changed CSP before conververting it to a Freedom.

There is no reason to be afraid of a free card, you keep your Fairmont history with the changed card, and you'll earn mor UR points.

As far as I know You can't apply for a Chase card you already have, so apply sooner than later.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 8:36 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, DL PM, AA Plat, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by mhdena
Use his referral now, Win Win. And then add him as an AU for 5K more points. No annual fee year one.

When the Fairmont changes to CSP see about changing it then, whats unclear is how long you may have to keep the changed CSP before conververting it to a Freedom.

There is no reason to be afraid of a free card, you keep your Fairmont history with the changed card, and you'll earn mor UR points.

As far as I know You can't apply for a Chase card you already have, so apply sooner than later.
Thank you for the feedback! I'm going to go ahead and apply via S/O's referral link now...will update with anything noteworthy in the process!
Old Jul 4, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I already have a CSR and a (classic) Freedom card. I figure I will probably convert the CSP into a Freedom Unlimited if I can. I don't need any more annual fee cards.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 6:27 am

Another successful mortgage payment using Plastiq and Fairmont Visa

Again, glad I ignored the bloggers on this. Just made another successful mortgage payment using Plastiq and the Chase Fairmont Visa. As for not being able to use Visa for mortgage payments, perhaps this only applies to Big Name lenders. Mine's a smaller community bank, so perhaps that's helping me fly under the radar. My advice would be to "just try" if you need to use Plastiq with a Visa to meet a minimum required spend.

Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
The Plastiq mortgage transaction I made with my Fairmont Visa just posted as a non-cash item. The transaction details helpfully showed me how many Fairmont reward points I received. So, Visa for mortgages on Plastiq may live; at least for some lenders, for some time, and if you set your cash advance to $20 (as low as they allowed me); or at least less than the amount of your Plastiq payment.

Get 'ems while the gettin's good. :-) I may prepay another mortgage payment.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA, HH, SPG, UA
I have about 3000 Fairmont points. Was thinking just to redeem it for $25 gift card and cancel the card before the conversion. My annual fee is due in 2 weeks. Since I have never had a Sapphire, was planning on to open that once I'm under the 5/24.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 7:47 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by express3
I have about 3000 Fairmont points. Was thinking just to redeem it for $25 gift card and cancel the card before the conversion. My annual fee is due in 2 weeks. Since I have never had a Sapphire, was planning on to open that once I'm under the 5/24.
Sounds like a good plan to me.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by express3
Dunno... I went ahead and applied for the Sapphire Preferred (yesterday) to get the bonus. It's 50K UR points and that's like $750 towards airfare, plus the extra person bonus and the amount of points you get on whatever you end up purchasing (2X UR points). Just don't put anyone down as a user until later.

I already have the Sapphire Reserve card... but didn't want this card without the bonus. They sent me an email saying they would let me know in 30 days, but I looked in my Chase online area today and see they've already approved it (it's listed as another account in my list of accounts).

I'm getting the extra night for the Fairmont card. My year ends 8/2, but I want the Chase UR points (I'll have about 30K Fairmont points) so I will let them give me a second Chase Preferred. They told me that I could cancel it after the 14th and hopefully get my money back. I think you have 30 days to cancel... Even if I don't get the $95 back, it's okay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.