Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fairmont Chase Signature Card

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by lbotez
but we decided to get one Reserve card each for the bonus.
My spouse can sign up for another card, but I'm under 5/24 until January. So maybe we'll get the Sapphire Preferred (again for the bonus). $50K is a pretty good bonus; might as well grab it now; don't want to wait 2 years.
This was my point, its a great card to get after (in addition to) the 100K Resevere.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
I just called Fairmont (as opposed to Chase), and got some information that seems to contradict the letter that Chase sent, or at least ran counter to my interpretation.

For people whose next card anniversary date is after August 15, they will not have an opportunity to get a "normal" free night cert (i.e., expiring one year after issuance) for spending $12K. They are eligible to get a free night cert that expires Feb 28 by spending $6K, but even if they spend $12K, they only get the $6K certificate.

Anyone with a card anniversay date before August 14 will get their free night processed normally, but if your anniversary date is, say, in September, then even if you had spent $12K after last September and before Chase sent out the letter, you are only eligible for the $6K offer.

The stated reason is, getting a regular night requires two things: spending $12K since your last card anniversay date, and a year elapsing, and the card will not be in existence then. This is real hair-splitting.

Also, anyone who has Premier status because of holding the card will lose that status on August 15 (or whenever they process it). They won't keep it through Feb 28 2018, but they will retain their existing Premier certs until then. This might be consistent with what happens today when a cardholder cancels the card -- existing certificates are retained, but perhaps the status is lost.

No one will receive a gold floor upgrade coupon next March. I think it is a fair argument that anyone who has paid a $95 annual fee since the last gold floor upgrade certs were issued in March 2017 should get one, but no dice. Similarly, non-elites who have paid the annual fee since March will not get Premier status and Premier certs next March.

As the person put it, these benefits aren't tied to when you last paid an annual fee, it's tied to whether you are a cardholder on March 1 (or whatever the exact date they look at), and the card won't exist next March 1.

This transition really sucks.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Spent_All_My_Miles

Also, anyone who has Premier status because of holding the card will lose that status on August 15 (or whenever they process it). They won't keep it through Feb 28 2018, but they will retain their existing Premier certs until then.

This transition really sucks.
At lease we still can keep certs for this year

For me, this transition is not as bad as I was expected.
1. I'll have a good chance to get most, if not all, of my annual fee back when I cancel it in Aug. (Anniversary in May)
2. I can get a free night with only 6k spending. (Maybe Fairmont Orchid this winter)
3. My 60k points will worth $900 (I'vs CSR) instead of $600.

I think Chase does a fair job on transition BUT losing this wonderful card sucks.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 1:12 am

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
I've never had any Chase UR points and plan on cancelling the card before my Jan 2018 anniversary. I'll have ~8200 Fairmont Rewards on Aug 15, as I don't plan on using the card anymore.

I don't know how to use Fairmont Rewards points but from reading posts here, it sounds like it's better to convert them to UR and then convert my UR to some other points. What program gives me best bang for the buck on conversion? Can I convert UR 1:1 for Starpoints? Or is Hyatt points or United miles going to be my best conversion?

Are there points levels I should hit for conversion? 10,000 UR points? 9000? or will 82xx work OK?
Old Jun 24, 2017, 4:56 am

Success!

Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
The bloggers may be partially wrong. I seem to have been able to make a payment on my mortgage today (a smaller bank) using the Fairmont Visa. On the thread below, I was advised to set my cash advance limit to as low as they'd allow.

They'd only to go $20 and that takes 24 to 48 hours to process. I immediately had them lower my credit limit such that 20% of an amount less than my mortgage payment. That's evidently how Chase calculates your cash advance limit, at least for this card and at least according to the CSR--20% of your credit line.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...l#post28475603
The Plastiq mortgage transaction I made with my Fairmont Visa just posted as a non-cash item. The transaction details helpfully showed me how many Fairmont reward points I received. So, Visa for mortgages on Plastiq may live; at least for some lenders, for some time, and if you set your cash advance to $20 (as low as they allowed me); or at least less than the amount of your Plastiq payment.

Get 'ems while the gettin's good. :-) I may prepay another mortgage payment.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by itsallgood
I don't know how to use Fairmont Rewards points but from reading posts here, it sounds like it's better to convert them to UR and then convert my UR to some other points. What program gives me best bang for the buck on conversion? Can I convert UR 1:1 for Starpoints? Or is Hyatt points or United miles going to be my best conversion?
Best use of UR points is to use them towards travel when booking on the UR website. You get an extra 50% value versus a pure cash out. That only applies if you have one of the higher end UR cards like CSP or CSR. Since your Fairmont card will convert to a CSP, then you are in. Use the points on your next booking there and then cancel the card.

I don't think any other pathway yields nearly as good a value. The transfers aren't that valuable unless it is enough to get you a business class flight on one of the partner airlines and you have an account there.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 4:04 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by dmodemd
Since your Fairmont card will convert to a CSP, then cancel the card.

The transfers aren't that valuable unless it is enough to get you a business class flight on one of the partner airlines and you have an account there.
Why not get a Freedom 5x? Even better if you already have one, 2 quarters with 2 cards =30k URs. Which can help top off a FF Business flight or Hyatt transfer.

Canceling instead of a Freedom is shortsighted IMO.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 4:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
You get an extra 50% value versus a pure cash out. That only applies if you have one of the higher end UR cards like CSP or CSR.
CSP gets you 25% bonus. Only CSR gets the 50%.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by Finkface
Was told the same thing today.
The person I talked to was not in any way, shape, or form flexible. Said I was getting a Sapphire and it did not matter if I already had one. I could cancel it after it was issued is what I was told. Shot down any discussion of transferring to another card besides Sapphire.

Not sure if the Chase bunch have all of their info or stories straight. Who know? Sad to see the Fairmont card go.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
The letter says they will deposit the free nt ($6k spend) cert 8-10 weeks from when though? If its from 8/14/2017 then wont be able to use free nt cert possibly until NOV 2017 and it is to expire on 2/28/18.... that's kinda stupid. I am hoping the free nt cert posts after meeting hte $6k
Old Jun 25, 2017, 6:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by TravelTexan
Not sure if the Chase bunch have all of their info or stories straight.
I don't know, this has been 100% consistent.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 7:31 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
Best use of UR points is to use them towards travel when booking on the UR website. You get an extra 50% value versus a pure cash out. That only applies if you have one of the higher end UR cards like CSP or CSR. Since your Fairmont card will convert to a CSP, then you are in. Use the points on your next booking there and then cancel the card.

I don't think any other pathway yields nearly as good a value. The transfers aren't that valuable unless it is enough to get you a business class flight on one of the partner airlines and you have an account there.
OK, thanks
Old Jun 25, 2017, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by khlay
At lease we still can keep certs for this year

For me, this transition is not as bad as I was expected.
1. I'll have a good chance to get most, if not all, of my annual fee back when I cancel it in Aug. (Anniversary in May)
2. I can get a free night with only 6k spending. (Maybe Fairmont Orchid this winter)
i dont think you'll get that new cert if you cancel your card in august - iirc it is supposed to post several weeks after aug 14 cutoff
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:10 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

I signed up for the FM Card on the first day it was available. I currently have 10,000 FM points.

I had a LONG call with Chase on Friday, over 45 min with multiple reps and supervisors assisting. Chase really didn't have solid information but here are some takeaways.

I presently have a CSR, Freedom, and the FM card. I do not want the CSP, and my annual fee is due on July 1.

1. FRHI terminated the relationship, speculation but Accor must have told FRHI to kill it.
2. All cards are in a suspended transition and can only be closed.
3. On August 14 the transition will take place.
4. The supervisor informed me I can then switch to a slate or other, but not before.
5. Not sure if this was a special condition, but once switched the supervisor noted my fee will be prorated, (comes to $19ish for 2.5 months)
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by AMRivlin
I signed up for the FM Card on the first day it was available. I currently have 10,000 FM points.

I had a LONG call with Chase on Friday, over 45 min with multiple reps and supervisors assisting. Chase really didn't have solid information but here are some takeaways.

I presently have a CSR, Freedom, and the FM card. I do not want the CSP, and my annual fee is due on July 1.

1. FRHI terminated the relationship, speculation but Accor must have told FRHI to kill it.
2. All cards are in a suspended transition and can only be closed.
3. On August 14 the transition will take place.
4. The supervisor informed me I can then switch to a slate or other, but not before.
5. Not sure if this was a special condition, but once switched the supervisor noted my fee will be prorated, (comes to $19ish for 2.5 months)
At this point, Chase is probably just looking at options to close this matter with the least number of people ticked off. It's not exactly a win for them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.