Fairmont Mayakoba Riviera Maya

Old Dec 12, 2016, 7:16 am

Programs: UA 1K
If you are like most and spend several hours at the beach and the rest of your day involved in activities, dining, and in-room, I wouldn't opt for the beach casitas. We stayed in a Signature, and it was perfectly located. A 5 minute bike ride to the beach or a 2 minute cart ride, and within a 2 minute walk to all of the restaurants (except for Brisas), main lobby, main pool, etc.

We originally were concerned about not being AT the beach, but it was preferable.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 7:46 am

I would not stay at this hotel if I was not at the beach. Having said that, my two visits were during busy holiday weeks when they were serving breakfast at the beachfront restaurant so we didn't need to make a trek to breakfast, and we do like to spend the entire day at the beach.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
My husband and I will be staying at this resort next week and I really hope I didn't just mess it up.

We are booked for 4 nights using free night certs. We originally had a 5th night booked at another hotel in Cancun (our arrival night because we had a late arrival). But then we changed our flights, so we ended up needing a 5th night at the end of our stay instead. So I went online, and by far the best deal to stay at the Fairmont for a 5th night was the all-inclusive. For the night we needed, it was literally only about $20 more than the next cheapest rate. I booked it online today.

THEN I decided to review the last few pages of this thread and found this:

Originally Posted by habshabs444
- Initially we were only going to stay a week and spend the last 2 nights in Cancun, however, we decided to stay the last 2 days here as well. I confirmed this with the front desk ahead of time prior to our initial planned departure and that it would not be a problem as I wanted to book one more night at the AI option and then use a free night cert for the last night and pay for any meals incurred. For whatever reason, this turned into a major issue later that day as apparently I had to stay on the same AI plan for the entire stay. After a couple of very frustrating phone calls and a subsequent discussion with the manager, it was all resolved, but it should have never been an issue to begin with. It was not as if I was insisting on receiving free food/bev on a free night certificate.

The rate I booked earlier today is non-refundable, so I can't just go online and cancel. What should I do? Both reservations are confirmed in my account. Will they try to make us pay $380/night during our free nights for the all-inclusive? I'm not willing to pay that, as we already have some outside meals planned (including one prepaid) that would make this a bad deal during our stay.

I'd be happy if they either honored the appetite for luxury for one night, or if they won't, if they'll refund the night and we'll stay at the new Andaz our last night (they have a great breakfast-inclusive rate). I'm not OK with paying $380*4.

Help! I don't want our stay ruined with an argument at the front desk.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 2:34 pm

Err check out after the 4 days and check back in?
Old Jan 4, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by BeantownFlyer
Err check out after the 4 days and check back in?
Is their system clever enough to notice our second reservation when we check in?
Old Jan 4, 2017, 3:03 pm

The bigger problem about the checking out and checking back in is if they don't just keep you in the same room. However I don't know what you are stressing about. I am sure you can resolve this (either easily or with a small fight) once on site.

However if you really care try calling the reservations manager now and confirm all in in order. My contact is a few years old; not sure if he is still there and in the same role, but it was:

Marco Berges
Reservations Mgr. and Revenue Assistant Mgr.
Tel +52 984.206.3000 Ext 3545

email is [email protected]
Old Jan 4, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I would print out each separate reservation and just go. I wouldn't call in advance, and would merely ask at check in how it will work...I our experience there, whenever there were hiccups, a manager went out of his/her way to fix.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 5:25 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Last time ago I was in the area (2001), I stay at the Hilton Hotel in the Cancun Hotel district. I have also stayed at least once (maybe twice) at a Royal property on the hotel district- before staying at the Hilton Hotel (which I think is long gone from the hotel district).

The one thing I liked about the hotel district is that I could walk (or use the local touristic shuttle bus) - to visit the local retail establishments, restaurants, tourist attractons etc. I guess that is not possible with this hotel at the Mayan Riviera?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
Last time ago I was in the area (2001), I stay at the Hilton Hotel in the Cancun Hotel district. I have also stayed at least once (maybe twice) at a Royal property on the hotel district- before staying at the Hilton Hotel (which I think is long gone from the hotel district).

The one thing I liked about the hotel district is that I could walk (or use the local touristic shuttle bus) - to visit the local retail establishments, restaurants, tourist attractons etc. I guess that is not possible with this hotel at the Mayan Riviera?
No. You are a solid 20 minute cab ride to Playa del Carmen and an hour away from Cancun. Now the Mayakoba compound itself houses 3 other hotels. You can take shuttles between hotels (and their restaurants) but its not really walk-able or quaint.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
All Inclusive - what are our options

Originally Posted by gold23
We did the AI and LOVED it! Absolutely, positively loved it. Several reasons. First, we ate at El Puerto three times. The menu was extensive and varied, and the food is fantastic. We were a family of 5, vacationing with another family of 5 also on AI plan. Our "bill" at El Puerto every night was over $1400, and the only thing we added was about $40-50 total as an added tip (gratuities ARE included in AI!).

The waiters know you are AI, and since tip is included they simply bring you everything in order to ramp up the bill. THis is good for you, it is good for the waiters, and it is not too good for the Fairmont (though I suspect the added real cost to them isn't great and everyone is happy).

Food costs at the Fairmont are sky high. Assume you will eat breakfast and probably lunch there anyway most days. The difference is dinner. Brisas is decent, if not great, and the Mexican restaurant is what you'd expect- fine, basic Mexican fare with really good drinks. We might have liked to try another restaurant, but the AI plan kept us there.

Value-wise? With teens and all of the stuff we ordered at the pool and beach area, it probably worked out well for us before we took advantage of the El Puerto dinners.
We will be going this hotel for the first time at the end of this month - for 5 nights. We have bought into the AI package.

What restaurants can we use with our AI package? Which restaurants can we not use?

What alcoholic beverages can we use on the AI package? is there a list of such included beverages? What alcoholic beverages are not included?

if we go on a day sightseeing tour - is there any way we can use the AI package?

Is there any way we can use the AI package at the other 3 hotels of the complex, or use the AI package at any restaurants off-site?
Old Feb 4, 2017, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Afaik you can enjoy meals at any of the restaurants located on the Fairmont property (restaurants operated by other hotels nearby are excluded). Since in-room dining is excluded, I'd assume picknick baskets etc. are excluded as well, but it never hurts to ask.

All food items are included except for a a handful of items which have a nominal surcharge (e.g. the Wagyu beef steaks which would usually cost $100-$150USD come with a minor surcharge).

Most/all drinks offered by the glass are included (incl. wine, liquor, cocktails, non-alcoholic drinks) while full bottles of wine or liquor are excluded.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Afaik you can enjoy meals at any of the restaurants located on the Fairmont property (restaurants operated by other hotels nearby are excluded). Since in-room dining is excluded, I'd assume picknick baskets etc. are excluded as well, but it never hurts to ask.

All food items are included except for a a handful of items which have a nominal surcharge (e.g. the Wagyu beef steaks which would usually cost $100-$150USD come with a minor surcharge).

Most/all drinks offered by the glass are included (incl. wine, liquor, cocktails, non-alcoholic drinks) while full bottles of wine or liquor are excluded.
is there a list of available drinks by the glass that are included, and any by the glass that are excluded.

My wife and sister-in-law, who will try these beverages, want to be aware in advance how to maximize their experience (I do not drink alcohol, so I have to think about how to maximize my beverage experience).
Old Feb 4, 2017, 5:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50K, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
is there a list of available drinks by the glass that are included, and any by the glass that are excluded.

My wife and sister-in-law, who will try these beverages, want to be aware in advance how to maximize their experience (I do not drink alcohol, so I have to think about how to maximize my beverage experience).
All 3 times we have stayed using the all inclusive package they have distributed a menu of what alcohol was included. The majority of bartenders will let you know if you order something that isn't included and will usually substitute with non premium liquor in some of the signature cocktails
Old Feb 4, 2017, 5:30 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
As of last April, when we were there, you could order any drink and it was covered by AI... I only recall two exceptions: bottled beer, and drinks over $25 a glass (from what I saw, some of the champagnes). And of course, full bottles of wine or liquor. I drank out of a giant booze-filled coconut our last day on the beach, because I had to try it. It was pretty pricey.

Menuwise, the Wagyu beef and I believe there was a market price whole lobster - these items required a $10 surcharge. But pretty much any restaurant, the beach, pool, lobby ... whatever you wanted. We easily spent over $200 on dinner - El Puerto was my personal fave.

We loved and are heading back in a month.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by DataPlumber
No. You are a solid 20 minute cab ride to Playa del Carmen and an hour away from Cancun. Now the Mayakoba compound itself houses 3 other hotels. You can take shuttles between hotels (and their restaurants) but its not really walk-able or quaint.
What is the cost of the taxi fare from the hotel to both Playa del Carmen and to Cancun? Can one call a on the street taxi to pick you up at the Fairmont, as opposed to taking a Fairmont taxi or limo?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.