Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fairmont Peace Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2007, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP, Fairmont FPC Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Fairmont Peace Hotel

Fairmont Hotels To Enter Shanghai with The Peace Hotel

Iconic Property to be renovated and reopened as The Fairmont Peace Hotel Shanghai in 2010
Jin Jiang International Group (Jin Jiang) and Fairmont Hotels & Resorts (Fairmont) announced today that they have formed a joint venture company to be named Jin Jiang Fairmont Hotel Management Company, LTD, which will renovate and reopen The Peace Hotel, a Shanghai landmark for over a century. The hotel is scheduled to close during the refurbishment period and reopen in 2010.

Jin Jiang's goal during The Peace Hotel renovation program, the largest in its history, is to restore the hotel to its position as the preeminent luxury hotel in Shanghai, and the company is utilizing not only its own expertise and heritage, but partnering with Fairmont, a luxury hotel group recognized for their stewardship of historic properties across the globe, including London's Savoy, A Fairmont Managed Hotel and New York City's Plaza Hotel.

Situated on the Bund, the 12-story Peace Hotel enjoys a premier downtown location, facing the Pudong area over the Hangpu River. First opened in 1929 as the Cathay Hotel, the property was located on the former site of the Sassoon Mansion and built in the Gothic style of the Chicago School, with a copper-sheathed roof rising 77 meters above ground level. The hotel has hosted distinguished guests from all over the world, including politicians, artists and celebrities such as General Marshall, Charlie Chaplin, Bernard Shaw and Noel Coward who wrote Private Lives while in residence.

The Peace Hotel is Fairmont's second announced project in the region, following a recent deal announcing a future hotel development project on Macao's Cotai Strip. 'This agreement will provide Fairmont with the opportunity to extend our distinctive portfolio to one of the world's key gateway cities and utilize our expertise in historic assets and restore a preeminent Shanghai landmark,' said William R. Fatt, Fairmont's Chief Executive Officer. 'The addition of the Fairmont Peace Hotel Shanghai will provide the ideal platform for further expansion in Asia and we look forward working with Jin Jiang, a strong leader in this region to further develop our luxury hotel brand.'

Jin Jiang, owner of the Peace Hotel, is the largest hotel owner and operator in China and the 22nd largest in the world, with more than 300 properties in their portfolio. The company was listed on the Hong Kong stock exchange last year and will be investing in numerous branded properties to support it's strategy of enhancing and accelerating growth in central cities of China and developing greater awareness for its brands. The joint venture with Fairmont is a major step towards improving its market competitiveness though strategic cooperation with an international, luxury hotel brand
Old Sep 28, 2009, 8:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Landmark Shanghai hotel gets modern Fairmont makeover

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...A7SbL_ZfO_CrHg

SHANGHAI — Charlie Chaplin traipsed through its halls, Noel Coward finished his play "Private Lives" there and owner Victor Sassoon threw lavish parties for Shanghai's high-rollers.

The Peace Hotel burned bright in the 1930s, but war, revolution and ill-conceived renovations battered the Bund institution and what was once the most luxurious hotel in the Far East faded into a shadow of its former self.

Now architects and historians are scrambling to complete a 500-million-yuan (73-million-dollar) renovation of the Shanghai landmark in time for next year's World Expo, combining ultra-modern comforts with the hotel's colourful past.

<snip>

Fairmont has said the Peace Hotel will reopen in time for the six-month World Expo, which begins on May 1.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP, Fairmont FPC Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Peace Hotel

The Peace Hotel opens March 28th. By the looks of the promo package this will be a fantastic property. One of Fairmont's crown jewels for sure.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 9:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Ohh, when I was in Shanghai in October it looked so nice. I was extremely impressed! The location, and history of the building is simply phenomenal. I expect prices will reflect the prestige of this hotel.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Ohh, when I was in Shanghai in October it looked so nice. I was extremely impressed! The location, and history of the building is simply phenomenal. I expect prices will reflect the prestige of this hotel.
I have never been to Shanghai. Is the Peace Hotel located near good bars / clubs? Trying to convince some guy friends to go there for a few nights in April while we are in Macau.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 11:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by Cascadia
I have never been to Shanghai. Is the Peace Hotel located near good bars / clubs? Trying to convince some guy friends to go there for a few nights in April while we are in Macau.
The location is RIGHT on the bund. Close to EVERYTHING, particularily good bars and clubs.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

I am booked for April. I will give a report after my stay.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
I am booked for April. I will give a report after my stay.
Is it available through phone reservations only? I can't seem to find a way to book online....
Old Feb 12, 2010, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jkc22
Is it available through phone reservations only? I can't seem to find a way to book online....
Until March 28th you must book directly with the hotel. The contact info is on the Fairmont Peace Hotel homepage.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 10:44 am

Until March 28th you must book directly with the hotel. The contact info is on the Fairmont Peace Hotel homepage.
Please take tons of pics! Very interested to see as much of the hotel as possible. Make sure you request a river view!!!
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Damn! My reservation has been cancelled by the hotel. The Peace Hotel is not ready in time for my arrival. I guess I will try the Peninsula. Or the St Regis. I will have to figure this one out.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 1:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Damn! My reservation has been cancelled by the hotel. The Peace Hotel is not ready in time for my arrival. I guess I will try the Peninsula. Or the St Regis. I will have to figure this one out.
You'd think with some many workers in China they could get it done on time for your arrival
Old Mar 18, 2010, 5:04 am

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Go Peninsula. St Regis is too old to be nice.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jarusoba
Go Peninsula. St Regis is too old to be nice.
Is it in a good part of town for evenings out?
Old Mar 18, 2010, 7:07 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Is it in a good part of town for evenings out?
Yes, I guess. When I was there, I didn't really go out in the evening But its location must be better than St Regis'. Anyways, cabs are cheap and abundant there. You can go anywhere without any problems.

Besides the Pen, the Park Hyatt is also my favorite in Shanghai. I was supposed to be in Shanghai staying at the Park Hyatt on Apr 1, but since Beijing Raffles gives me a free suite, I switched my flight to Beijing.^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.