The Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui

Old Aug 25, 2012, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by joshc40
We're fortunate enough to be spending some time this month at both the Kea Lani and the Orchid. I think I saw someone say the dining cents can't be used at Nick's at the Kea Lani. So where would you use them if you were going to be at both resorts? I'm not too familiar with the dining options at either.

Thanks
Please let us know which rest. you used your certs at and your dining experience. Thanks.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:16 am

Programs: Various Programs of Interest & LT Collector.
I think I might not have explained what I meant well.

You can use free nights back to back with paid ones - this isn't what I meant.

What I had was multiple reservations from different accounts in my family. They could combine Reservation Number 1 (award free night) with Reservation Number 2 (award free night) into a singe reservation number so they are separate.

But they specifically said they couldn't combine the reservation number from the paid stay with the consolidated reservation number for the free nights.

Maybe YMMV....

But I had an email and phone conversation trying to do this to ensure the same room on all nights with the partial ocean view but they consistently said they couldn't do it in the system.

When I arrived the did keep me in the same room so I effectively got a free upgrade on the 2 free night certs.

I thought the Virtuoso perk at this hotel was 'upgrade based on availability at check-in'. While other fairmonts will often apply it at reservation time. If you can get it at this hotel then cool but its not what I understand or have been told by a Virtuoso agent I spoke with before making my stay.

People talk about trying to use upgrade certs because the free nights only book into a standard fairmont room. You can use one of the two (suite or room - I don't recall which) with a free night cert but it doesn't get you much of an upgrade. And in terms of using free night certs at this hotel - its a good deal based on the high rates at the hotel. So people are just looking for ways to get a better room when they use the free night certs here.

Originally Posted by ac/elite
This is not true. I have combined cert stays with paid stays for at least the past 3 years and my reservation for this coming winter has them combined as well into one reservation.

I'm not sure why people keep talking about which upgrade certificate to use here. Why use any? As was discussed earlier in this thread, if you use a good Virtuoso agent to book the reservation, then you'll get a guaranteed upgrade plus daily breakfast for two thrown in at no extra charge. This property in particular values the Virtuoso program and gives great upgrades. Once again for my upcoming reservation my virtuoso agent has gotten me a confirmed 2 category upgrade, from pov to deluxe ocean view. Not only that, the rate I'm paying for the pov is $80/night less than what the rate for that room category was on the website at the time he booked it for me.

If for some reason you do insist on using your upgrade certificate for the single category upgrade it will give you, you must use a suite upgrade certificate as it is an all suite property. The room upgrade certificates aren't valid at the Kea Lani.

Last edited by TravelGuy1965; Aug 26, 2012 at 11:23 am
Old Aug 26, 2012, 3:05 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
Originally Posted by TravelGuy1965
I think I might not have explained what I meant well.

You can use free nights back to back with paid ones - this isn't what I meant.

What I had was multiple reservations from different accounts in my family. They could combine Reservation Number 1 (award free night) with Reservation Number 2 (award free night) into a singe reservation number so they are separate.

But they specifically said they couldn't combine the reservation number from the paid stay with the consolidated reservation number for the free nights.

Maybe YMMV....

But I had an email and phone conversation trying to do this to ensure the same room on all nights with the partial ocean view but they consistently said they couldn't do it in the system.

When I arrived the did keep me in the same room so I effectively got a free upgrade on the 2 free night certs.

I thought the Virtuoso perk at this hotel was 'upgrade based on availability at check-in'. While other fairmonts will often apply it at reservation time. If you can get it at this hotel then cool but its not what I understand or have been told by a Virtuoso agent I spoke with before making my stay.

People talk about trying to use upgrade certs because the free nights only book into a standard fairmont room. You can use one of the two (suite or room - I don't recall which) with a free night cert but it doesn't get you much of an upgrade. And in terms of using free night certs at this hotel - its a good deal based on the high rates at the hotel. So people are just looking for ways to get a better room when they use the free night certs here.
Well, maybe it is just my Virtuoso agent as he does have a particularly special relationship with this hotel, but I have a single confirmation number with paid nights together with my one free night. I have always used my free night at the Kea Lani and have never had to change rooms. They always have allowed me to use it for whatever category of room my paid rate is for. As I said, I have one confirmation number for my upcoming stay and the reservation clearly says I'm getting a deluxe oceanview room for all nights (one of which is free). So, not only is my free night in the upgraded category, but my upgrade (two category) was guaranteed at the time of booking. Again, don't know if it is just my Virtuoso agent who can get the guaranteed upgrade in advance, but he always has. Furthermore, in the past the hotel has always given me the Virtuoso free breakfast even on the free night as well as the paid ones. YMMV.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelGuy1965
3rd Stay at the hotel for 7 days in June.
Restaurant: I'm not a big fan of Ko's Restaurant. The desserts are the part I enjoy more. I asked to redeem visa electronic dining certificates from my wife's account for dining. They ended up redeeming a duplicates from both my our accounts. Plus for breakfast we had 3 bills for one day. It took over 45 minutes across 2 trips to the front desk to get this straightened out. Much longer than normal as they wanted to physically pull the receipts to look at them. One said we left without paying yet another from the same day was from us. Ko's is the only restaurant to use certs at as Nicks Fish Market isn't ran by Fairmont.
What about the Kea Lani Rest. and the Polo Beach Grille & Bar? Can the certs be used at these two?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by philemer
What about the Kea Lani Rest. and the Polo Beach Grille & Bar? Can the certs be used at these two?
The only restaurant you cannot use dining certs as specified on T&C is Nick's Fishmarket. All other restaurants are owned by the hotel and you're able to use the certs.

Having said the above, the hotel in previous year's past made an exception allowing us to use some dining certs for Nick's Fishmarket.. which in my opinion is the very best food option at the Kea Lani.

An aside at the Polo Grille, in year's past, I discovered some very good priced massage options on the back of one of their table menus. A great price, we took in a couple of massages.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 9:54 am

Programs: United 1P; Delta GM; SP Gold; AS MVPG; FPC Premier
Please let us know which rest. you used your certs at and your dining experience. Thanks.
I suppose we went an unconventional route. We ended up using most of the certificates at Brown's Deli at the Orchid over the course of 5 days. We really, really enjoyed the resort and spent a lot of time there, but by the time dinner rolled around most days we were looking forward to going out and exploring local restaurants. So we ended up using them on sandwiches and salads and casual snacks during the day for the kids. That actually worked out very well for us.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suppose we went an unconventional route. We ended up using most of the certificates at Brown's Deli at the Orchid over the course of 5 days. We really, really enjoyed the resort and spent a lot of time there, but by the time dinner rolled around most days we were looking forward to going out and exploring local restaurants. So we ended up using them on sandwiches and salads and casual snacks during the day for the kids. That actually worked out very well for us.
Can you tell us what local restaurants you'd recommend? The only place I keep going back to is the Hali'imaile General Store, and that's just too long of a drive for a relaxing beach vacation. Anything worth checking out that's a lot closer to the Fairmont?
Old Aug 29, 2012, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
Can you tell us what local restaurants you'd recommend? The only place I keep going back to is the Hali'imaile General Store, and that's just too long of a drive for a relaxing beach vacation. Anything worth checking out that's a lot closer to the Fairmont?
Absolutely. Don't know if you're with kids or not or whether you tend toward nicer restaurants or can appreciate the local cheap place just as much, but here are a few ideas:

On the upscale side, we really enjoyed Duo. Duo is at the Four Seasons, so we just walked up the scenic oceanfront sidewalk at sunset...it was gorgeous and the outdoor seating at Duo was a very nice experience. I may have been swayed by the raw bar...it's all you can eat for about $70 IIRC. 4 types of oysters shucked as you ask for them, different kinds of poke, crab, slipper and kona lobster, shrimp, etc. They also have decent kids menus and a full menu that doesn't involve the raw bar.

On the nice but very reasonably priced side, we really enjoyed the 808 Bistro. Good food (but small menu), very reasonably priced, casual atmosphere. That's in Kihei. It's BYOB and the Foodland just up the street has a pretty incredible wine selection for a supermarket.

Casual but a bit more expensive was Cuatro--that's in the Foodland shopping center. Just happens to be BYOB as well...

On the extremely casual side, Kihei cafe can be fun for breakfast. Among all the Hawaiian plate lunch places, Da Kitchen was easily my favorite. Their fish and chips were incredible and their pork dishes good as well.

If it gives any insight into what we like, we enjoy Hali'imaile General Store as well. Although on this trip, we used our one long drive for dining to go to the Gazebo for breakfast instead.

Mods..sorry if this is off topic for this thread and feel fee to move it, but all places and are easy drive from the Kea Lani and was on our stay at the Kea Lani that we dined at these places...Thanks
Old Aug 29, 2012, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Excellent! Thanks for the post. I've actually been to Da Kitchen. Totally my style. And Duo sounds good, too. Been to Spago there a lot, so we'll probably go again this trip.

Yes, with kids, but they're teenagers and they eat pretty well.

Any good malasadas near there?
Old Aug 29, 2012, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
Excellent! Thanks for the post. I've actually been to Da Kitchen. Totally my style. And Duo sounds good, too. Been to Spago there a lot, so we'll probably go again this trip.

Yes, with kids, but they're teenagers and they eat pretty well.

Any good malasadas near there?
Somehow, despite having been to Maui a number of times, I didn't manage to stumble across malasadas until we made it to the Orchid for the second part of our trip. The malasadas at Brown's Deli on property at the Orchid were very good. I can't promise that Kihei cafe has them, but their baked goods that we did have were very good.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 4:41 pm

Programs: British Airways
outrigger canoe trip?

<deleting out of date information>

Last edited by pancakex; Jan 17, 2022 at 11:28 pm Reason: <deleting out of date information>
Old Sep 17, 2012, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hey, this a Kea Lani thread. Actually, we will be on the B.I. the week before we arrive at the Kea Lani so, even though we aren't staying at the Orchid, we might stop by and use some of our $25 dining certs. I've always wanted to try Brown's Beach House. Just hand the paper certs to the waiter? Yum, yum.

Last edited by philemer; Sep 17, 2012 at 6:50 pm
Old Sep 17, 2012, 7:37 pm

Programs: Various Programs of Interest & LT Collector.
On the topic of food near Kea Lani I really enjoyed Pizza Madness.
About a 15min drive to Kihei...
Old Sep 18, 2012, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by pancakex
Anyone know how far in advance it's recommended you book the outrigger canoe trip here? I'll be visiting at the end of February and would love to do this!^
The sooner the better. I would say at least a month before you arrive.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 8:10 pm

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
make a dummy booking and the lowest priced suite you see is what they book into: http://www.fairmont.com/reservations/select-room/ When you are ready to make a rez. call Fairmont & use your suite u/g to get a partial ocean view suite. This is what I did. The first rep. said I could only u/g to a Garden View so I called again. The 2nd one said I could u/g to a POV. Since it's an all-suite property I'm not sure if you can use a room u/g cert.

See my experience here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18898663-post358.html
finally got the chance to book all 4 free nights here between our two accounts. booked into Mountain and, just like you, she tried "upgrading" me into a Garden room. Will call again in the next few days.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.