Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:54 am

Programs: UA, skymiles, AAdvantage, continental one pass, ANA, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Going Christmas time, everyone pays through the nose..

There was a deal on Fairmont suite last year one of the FTers got for $499, but it was offered obscurely and booked before prices changed.

My guess, is that you paid $1049 per night for a Deluxe Ocean View Suite.. If you've got a signature or villa, it'll be higher for this period..
I'm looking to go during spring break, and will not be paying some of the low costs presented here. Don't feel bad about Christmas Week.. nobody gets a deal.. and F&F has not been available for the years I've checked during this period..
few! you made me feel better. well... our first night was in the 800's. then it went up for the other nights. man, it kills me hearing some people got deals like 219 other times of the year. you guys got a steal! it's worth the bigger bucks.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by shadabing
few! you made me feel better. well... our first night was in the 800's. then it went up for the other nights. man, it kills me hearing some people got deals like 219 other times of the year. you guys got a steal! it's worth the bigger bucks.
Welcome to the Fairmont forum!

Believe me: very, very few people ever booked the Kea Lani for $219/night. There were some decent family&friends rates in times gone past and there was the recent renovation promo rate, both available during OFF SEASON, and even then prices were in the $300-$400 range most of the time.

Christmas obviously is peak season and rates in the $800-$1000/night range aren´t uncommon. Additionally, even Premier/Platinum members cannot use any certs during the holidays (neither free night nor suite upgrade certs).

The Kea Lani is considered one of the top three hotels in Maui, and many people are willing to pay those prices during Christmas.

Have a great stay!
Old Dec 29, 2011, 7:13 am

Week before Christmas Week.

Regarding the Christmas Week rates, we were there the week before at $349 for a Deluxe Suite, but, made reservations in the Summer. Checking out on Saturday, 13 December, we could see the crowds arriving. Same thing as we returned our car.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA, skymiles, AAdvantage, continental one pass, ANA, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by Ranny48
Regarding the Christmas Week rates, we were there the week before at $349 for a Deluxe Suite, but, made reservations in the Summer. Checking out on Saturday, 13 December, we could see the crowds arriving. Same thing as we returned our car.
I agree the rates are better BEFORE xmass and after. I'm sure that's true anywhere. I gotta say, even with crowds coming in, the fairmont didnt feel crowded. I've been at places that feel packed. We snuck a peek at the grand wailea at that was packed.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by shadabing
I've never received such a deal in all my years at Kea Lani.. partly because we travel for spring break or winter, when no price breaks occur.

We thought about travelling low season, because of the low rates.. but never worked out. The rates quoted here are irregular, and only happens when major renovations occur at the hotel during low season..
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Ranny48
Concur, its very slow in the first half of December and excellent rates to be had.. and renovation rates at that price during the summer is offered..

A world of difference going Christmas break.. As Jasper2009 mentioned, there is no provision for use of certificates from FPC members, and the hotel simply doesn't sell rooms at discounts on Christmas Week..
Old Dec 30, 2011, 7:00 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Fairmont Platinum
I booked a week here in September 2012. Given that its an all suite hotel, is it worth using a suite upgrade certificate here? If I follow the suite upgrade thread the room category assigned to it is the same size but just has a nicer view?

Anyone have any experiences? If you're getting the same room with just a better view are the certificates better saved for something else?
Old Dec 30, 2011, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MtlFire
I booked a week here in September 2012. Given that its an all suite hotel, is it worth using a suite upgrade certificate here? If I follow the suite upgrade thread the room category assigned to it is the same size but just has a nicer view?

Anyone have any experiences? If you're getting the same room with just a better view are the certificates better saved for something else?
Yes, you´re correct, a suite upgrade cert will only get you a better view at the Kea Lani. The views from the Ocean View Suite are much nicer than from the Garden View Suite, but whether it´s worth using an upgrade cert? Don´t know, that will really depend on whether you plan on sitting on the lanai for hours every day or just look at the view for five minutes in the morning.
If you´re the kind of person who enjoys sitting on the lanai at night watching the sun go down while dinking a bottle of wine / have friends around, I´d say go for it. If you´re more the kind of person hanging around in the public areas (restaurants etc.) it´s probably a waste.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Yes, you´re correct, a suite upgrade cert will only get you a better view at the Kea Lani. The views from the Ocean View Suite are much nicer than from the Garden View Suite, but whether it´s worth using an upgrade cert? Don´t know, that will really depend on whether you plan on sitting on the lanai for hours every day or just look at the view for five minutes in the morning.
If you´re the kind of person who enjoys sitting on the lanai at night watching the sun go down while dinking a bottle of wine / have friends around, I´d say go for it. If you´re more the kind of person hanging around in the public areas (restaurants etc.) it´s probably a waste.
Thanks. I got a great rate with the Cyber Monday deal posted here so I took two rooms. I might upgrade one of them.

If you are already in a suite, and just get a better view -- can you use a room upgrade cert or that doesn't work in an all suite context?
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. I got a great rate with the Cyber Monday deal posted here so I took two rooms. I might upgrade one of them.

If you are already in a suite, and just get a better view -- can you use a room upgrade cert or that doesn't work in an all suite context?
I was told you can only use a suite upgrade cert to upgrade to a better suite, room upgrade certs don´t seem to work at this property, though I guess you could always try.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 4:02 pm

There might be no relation, but the Ovation C "Suite" certs I'm using next month get me an Ocean View Suite as opposed to a Fairmont Suite for "Standard".

BTW anyone have a specific/favorite location to request with an Ocean View?
Old Dec 30, 2011, 9:08 pm
Suspended

Room upgrades don't work here.. the suite upgrade will get you to a better view.. you can use the free night cert at this hotel as well..

better value as you automatically get a suite in the Fairmont category with the free night cert..
Old Dec 31, 2011, 10:38 am

Thanks for the pointers (Jasper2009 & Maestro). I will try calling FPC in the new year and see what the options are.

Its unfortunate that they don't just require that the certs be used on a booking before they expire and not the stay must occur before. I'm pretty sure Hyatt works that way.

It must cause issues every year with stays that are near the expiry date -- the old ones are expiring, and you don't have the new ones yet.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the pointers (Jasper2009 & Maestro). I will try calling FPC in the new year and see what the options are.

Its unfortunate that they don't just require that the certs be used on a booking before they expire and not the stay must occur before. I'm pretty sure Hyatt works that way.

It must cause issues every year with stays that are near the expiry date -- the old ones are expiring, and you don't have the new ones yet.
When you´ve already requalified for the following benefit year, you can call in to apply one of your new upgrade certs (wbich you don´t have yet), this is an unpublished benefit and sort of rewards the loyal Premier/Platinum members who don´t requalify at the last moment. (Note: The upgrade is not guaranteed and is subject to the new black-out dates which aren´t published yet at this time, but they usually are the same: holidays plus any major events in the city like Olympics etc.; the worst than can happen is that you´ll be downgraded again, so definitely worth it asking politely)
Old Jan 1, 2012, 2:30 am
Suspended

My HI stays are usually in March.. I sure wished for the past 8 years, I had some certainty beyond February 28th of the annual deadline to use the previous years' certs.. Sometimes the deadline is extended, sometimes not.. On the year I needed to extend the deadline as we did not take our annual vacation in Jan/Feb because we were taking possession of a newly built home, the deadline was not extended, and the vacation was thwarted..

I've noticed that hotels can see expired certs in the system.. My wife and I have a combined 30 room upgrades that according to some hotel managers, say that I'm entitled to eventually use..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.