Wiki Posts
Search

The Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2011, 10:53 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
agree to disagree

Originally Posted by sfcaFLYER
Sure, not out of the realm of possibility. But almost every thread in the Fairmont forum includes newish users asking for the information, and Ancien Maestro answering them.

One can't, and shouldn't; ask new users to not ask questions (though as the mods sometimes do, welcome them first and ask them to read up on how FlyerTalk works - or ask them to search first before posting) but there is no reason for Ancien Maestro to answer each and every one of them every time with a public posting. And there is no reason for Ancien Maestro to advertise "services" in every posting as well - either in the text of the posting or a signature line. Whether they are called "secrets" or "savings" or "friends" it is still advertising a service that someone somewhere is receiving some type of compensation for in return.

It just degrades the quality of the forum, and people will stop reading and contributing to it if looks like it has what amounts to spam.

Now back to the beautiful Kea Lani . . .
yeah, I gotta agree on only the beautiful Kea Lani on this one, and have to disagree on the suspect behavior.

I'm not here to defend AM by the way, just reading, interpreting and making a point.

Maybe I'm just a bit naive but I just don't see the issue. Not that it wouldn't BE an issue but I just don't see the REALITY or PRESENCE of the issue.

A couple points. Having participated in online forums for more than two decades now, a few things come to mind.

1) new members, new participants will ALWAYS arrive to a thread or forum, read SOME of the information and throw out totally unnecessary requests for understanding, links, contacts, etc. Some just don't search, some won't search, some CAN'T search, (sometimes the search doesn't work) some can't or WON'T read, etc.

sometimes that is due to the forum or thread itself. A thread of information or deals, etc., should be updated at the FIRST POST with the latest information, links, etc. Unfortunately, this is rarely done well. The thread lives and grows and most people just post to the end of the thread.

Sometimes these threads are very very long and again, people just don't read. so, I don't suspect in any way that someone (you're indicating that you think it is AM in this case) is creating multiple logins, posting leading posts just to boost either thread count or stump his own embedded links for further INFORMATION. I'm just not buying that.

Sometimes it is best for everyone to jump onboard with "RTFM" or "search is your friend" or that fun little video that shows people just HOW to use GOOGLE, but especially when users are new that might just scare them away. So, it might be advisable to simply just answer their question and hope they pick things up over time. Like SEARCHING.

2) Forum owners and mods don't like thread boosting or bumping any more than we do/don't. Here on FT they are pretty on top of people bumping unnecessarily or posting links to personally advantages information without CLEAR disclaimers. While MANY people have information in their footer/signature I don't see these here by AM or any others for that matter as somehow advancing their objectives. And what WOULD that objective be? Do you think that AM pimps for Fairmont? While he might have Friends there, who bring to him deals of which he sometimes brings to here on FT (although WHEN/IF there are real F&F deals it is pretty much posted anywhere and everyone in the online travel communities)

I don't see his facebook page as a shill for fairmont or friends in fairmont and I don't see any direct advertising related to it. What I HAVE found there is a resource of information for fairmont customers/FPC members to try and find more and better, yes and sometimes cheaper ways to enjoy the fairmont hotels and experiences. There is no charge for this information and there are no promises of links to friends or further discounts. It would appear to be more of a wiki of topics, best practices, discount codes, insider information about the hotels, restaurants, and a place for fans of fairmont hotels to share experiences with the hotels and brand.

At SOME point in the worlds history there WERE people posting here, who said they were F&F employees promising to hook users up with F&F discounts but one had to have a special code or be a member of their facebook page. That netted them I think 10$ a booking, and that ended quite a while ago. I don't think in any way that AM was receiving anything from this per transaction income that went to the employee. Other than maybe any thanks that employee might have. I don't recall AM every "running a booking service" or making any reservations directly, it was historically (and is no longer) a link to information about some fairmont EMPLOYEES who were willing to book on behalf of referred users. These were fairmont employees whom I think AM KNEW which was in some sense advantageous as one is normally required to have the employee book on BEHALF of the customer with their CC and such. It is nothing I ever did, but some did and having a direct referral WOULD be somewhat advantageous prior to giving out CC numbers on the interwebs. But who WON in those historical cases was the CUSTOMER since the deals were simply exceptional and in the end netted Fairmont quite a bit of revenue in my mind and always more valuable that than, netted them possibly new loyal customers to the brand. For Fairmont that was very valuable, but again, many people both here and on other forums were posting this same information online.

3) There are just some people who are on forums to provide information, answer questions, post deals and such. some focus around specific areas of interest, skill, knowledge or access to information. They follow topics and forum categories and when something new comes up that they have an answer for they jump on the response. Either they have the time to do it, or a job which allows them to multi-task such activities that they CAN participate in a very quick and relevant way. This servers the questioner quite well as many are looking for information in a real time sense and a fast quality answer is better than a slow one.

While these people are not mods, and they may not be ambassodors per se they are certainly some of the primary contributors to the forum threads-and this is exactly what the website and forum owners want. User generated content, champions and knowledge experts providing just the information that participants are searching for - newbies and legacy members alike.

So, as you can see I don't see the issue. If there is some problem I am sure that people more authoritative than we will come to the rescue and curb the behavior soon.

Last edited by nmenaker; Apr 28, 2011 at 11:12 am
Old Apr 28, 2011, 12:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
For the record.. I never booked any reservations for anyone, nor have I made a cent.. The Friends and Family deal was championed by CanuckFlyHigh.. which I'll have the pleasure of meeting at our GolfDo.. He is the one who championed a thread on Hotel Deals Forum on NFAF "New Friends and Family", and got over 250,000 views on it.. my thread pales in comparison compared to that gargantuan monster created that has put the FlyerTalk Fairmont Friends and Family deal on the map. Pat on the back CFH.. looking forward to the 2 for 1 golf round.. on a twilight rate. Kokinos and I did this deal last year.^

F and F is only one aspect, there are like 200 other ways to skin a cat.. and I've found better deals than F and F at the Kea Lani. Its not about just getting friends and family rate which is a legitimate tool, but its' about navigating, stacking deals, loyalty program inclusions, third party websites.. all tools combined, that when you make a reservation and show up, you maximize the value out of your stay.

Particularly, the Kea Lani, last year, I did the Fifth Night Free Package, used two complimentary Plaitnum free night certs to make it 7 nights.. Got food and beverage $100 per night for the package.. stacked www.perfectescapes.com room upgrade for a guaranteed upgrade at reservation.. stacked another suite upgrade.. stacked the front desk breakfast deal, offsetted by the food and beverage credit.. and received airmiles for doing a package this way.

This year on friends and family, I paid a bit more than last year, and I didn't get my miles, but I did get an upgrade to Deluxe Ocean View Suite at check-in.

Its about knowing the system that Fairmont puts out, and knowledge of utilizing the system. I learn alot from here and everyone here seems to have alot of knowledge, not just myself.. we all have something to contribute.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro;16296433
Particularly, the Kea Lani, last year, I did the Fifth Night Free Package, used two complimentary Plaitnum free night certs to make it 7 nights.. Got food and beverage $100 per night for the package.. stacked [url
www.perfectescapes.com[/url] room upgrade for a guaranteed upgrade at reservation.. stacked another suite upgrade.. stacked the front desk breakfast deal, offsetted by the food and beverage credit.. and received airmiles for doing a package this way.
that sounds like what I like to call the PERFECT STORM!
Old Apr 28, 2011, 6:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by nmenaker
that sounds like what I like to call the PERFECT STORM!
.. and the funny thing is I didn't get the best deal neither.. I actually don't go to the depths of the earth to score the finest and shiniest deal. For example, Fairmont employees get Kea Lani for 1/3 what I paid (this year), and I met probably 3 TA's that stayed at Kea Lani for free over the years.

I pay what's ethically accessible, and in my mind I'm par for the course.. the result should be excellent treatment during the stay.. upgrades, some exceptions (not all, but some).. I care about employees, and try to be personable with all I get in contact with.. eventually they get to know us.. There were those around Kea Lani and the Orchid that remembered us from past stays.. amazingly employees remembered my son by name, and our last name.. and we talked like we were old friends, they share their stories, we listen attentively. Its' not a cold blooded, hi there, see ya, good bye sort of thing. We are family (O'hana) and treated like O'hana, and vice versa we treat employees like family as well, and we are very respectful of Hawaiian culture. The same thing at our home hotel, the Banff Springs.. we address employees by name when we can, recognize excellent service.. I know front desk, guest relations, executive office, Willowstream Spa, BVG staff.. when Brunch is sold out and I forgot to reserve, I was able to make my wife and family happy as we did end up getting a table (Valentines Sunday Family Day Long Weekend, completely sold out for weeks).. The Hotel Manager helped us out, and we were treated like VIPs. Same thing at the Orchid last year, Easter Sunday, we missed Breakfast, and the Sunday Brunch was triple the price.. we had a very good relationship with the Banquet Manager.. and she let have Brunch included with our Breakfast Package. My son did Orchid's easter festivities, and went bunny egg hunting.. The spread of delicious seafoods, salads, and desserts was outstanding. In turn, we returned this year to stay another couple weeks at Orchid, and 5 nights at Kea Lani.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 6:10 am

yeah, I gotta agree on only the beautiful Kea Lani on this one, and have to disagree on the suspect behavior.

I'm not here to defend AM by the way, just reading, interpreting and making a point.

Maybe I'm just a bit naive but I just don't see the issue. Not that it wouldn't BE an issue but I just don't see the REALITY or PRESENCE of the issue.

A couple points. Having participated in online forums for more than two decades now, a few things come to mind.

1) new members, new participants will ALWAYS arrive to a thread or forum, read SOME of the information and throw out totally unnecessary requests for understanding, links, contacts, etc. Some just don't search, some won't search, some CAN'T search, (sometimes the search doesn't work) some can't or WON'T read, etc.

sometimes that is due to the forum or thread itself. A thread of information or deals, etc., should be updated at the FIRST POST with the latest information, links, etc. Unfortunately, this is rarely done well. The thread lives and grows and most people just post to the end of the thread.

Sometimes these threads are very very long and again, people just don't read. so, I don't suspect in any way that someone (you're indicating that you think it is AM in this case) is creating multiple logins, posting leading posts just to boost either thread count or stump his own embedded links for further INFORMATION. I'm just not buying that.

Sometimes it is best for everyone to jump onboard with "RTFM" or "search is your friend" or that fun little video that shows people just HOW to use GOOGLE, but especially when users are new that might just scare them away. So, it might be advisable to simply just answer their question and hope they pick things up over time. Like SEARCHING.

2) Forum owners and mods don't like thread boosting or bumping any more than we do/don't. Here on FT they are pretty on top of people bumping unnecessarily or posting links to personally advantages information without CLEAR disclaimers. While MANY people have information in their footer/signature I don't see these here by AM or any others for that matter as somehow advancing their objectives. And what WOULD that objective be? Do you think that AM pimps for Fairmont? While he might have Friends there, who bring to him deals of which he sometimes brings to here on FT (although WHEN/IF there are real F&F deals it is pretty much posted anywhere and everyone in the online travel communities)

I don't see his facebook page as a shill for fairmont or friends in fairmont and I don't see any direct advertising related to it. What I HAVE found there is a resource of information for fairmont customers/FPC members to try and find more and better, yes and sometimes cheaper ways to enjoy the fairmont hotels and experiences. There is no charge for this information and there are no promises of links to friends or further discounts. It would appear to be more of a wiki of topics, best practices, discount codes, insider information about the hotels, restaurants, and a place for fans of fairmont hotels to share experiences with the hotels and brand.

At SOME point in the worlds history there WERE people posting here, who said they were F&F employees promising to hook users up with F&F discounts but one had to have a special code or be a member of their facebook page. That netted them I think 10$ a booking, and that ended quite a while ago. I don't think in any way that AM was receiving anything from this per transaction income that went to the employee. Other than maybe any thanks that employee might have. I don't recall AM every "running a booking service" or making any reservations directly, it was historically (and is no longer) a link to information about some fairmont EMPLOYEES who were willing to book on behalf of referred users. These were fairmont employees whom I think AM KNEW which was in some sense advantageous as one is normally required to have the employee book on BEHALF of the customer with their CC and such. It is nothing I ever did, but some did and having a direct referral WOULD be somewhat advantageous prior to giving out CC numbers on the interwebs. But who WON in those historical cases was the CUSTOMER since the deals were simply exceptional and in the end netted Fairmont quite a bit of revenue in my mind and always more valuable that than, netted them possibly new loyal customers to the brand. For Fairmont that was very valuable, but again, many people both here and on other forums were posting this same information online.

3) There are just some people who are on forums to provide information, answer questions, post deals and such. some focus around specific areas of interest, skill, knowledge or access to information. They follow topics and forum categories and when something new comes up that they have an answer for they jump on the response. Either they have the time to do it, or a job which allows them to multi-task such activities that they CAN participate in a very quick and relevant way. This servers the questioner quite well as many are looking for information in a real time sense and a fast quality answer is better than a slow one.

While these people are not mods, and they may not be ambassodors per se they are certainly some of the primary contributors to the forum threads-and this is exactly what the website and forum owners want. User generated content, champions and knowledge experts providing just the information that participants are searching for - newbies and legacy members alike.

So, as you can see I don't see the issue. If there is some problem I am sure that people more authoritative than we will come to the rescue and curb the behavior soon.
Your entire post is about defending Ancien Maestro, so your introduction sentence is misleading.

My point is that the dozens and dozens of "...can someone tell me how to get a f&f discount at Fairmont..." postings and dozens and dozens of public answers from ONLY Ancien Maestro clutter the Fairmont forum. And secondarily, the answers are a commercial/endorsement/promotion in some form.

You seem to like it and appreciate it. I don't, and other members do not as well.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by sfcaFLYER
My point is that the dozens and dozens of "...can someone tell me how to get a f&f discount at Fairmont..." postings and dozens and dozens of public answers from ONLY Ancien Maestro clutter the Fairmont forum. And secondarily, the answers are a commercial/endorsement/promotion in some form.
Well, with these exaggerations you are now simply just wrong. you might as well put me in the pump and dump crowd since I respond pretty quickly and often as well.

Ah well, in any community there are always a few.

Like you said, let's get back to the normally scheduled program of the KL.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Exclamation

Just a friendly reminder to not take this thread off-topic.

There has been enough discussion about the FAF rate/FB sites etc. in various threads, so please keep the review threads clean. There are even designated threads discussing the FAF threads/FB sites if you want to discuss those topics.

As always, if you think a particular posts/thread is off-topic or you think the Fairmont forum could be improved in any way, feel free to drop me a message and I´ll be happy to look into it.

Thanks for your cooperation!

Jasper2009
Fairmont FPC forum Mod
Old Apr 29, 2011, 3:15 pm
Suspended

I don't blame those who want to go Kea Lani wanting to know about the best deal. Kea Lani is simply the most expensive hotel to stay at, and frankly its only human nature that FTers would want to look for the best deal.

sfcaFlyer, I understand what you are saying.. I'll reserve the right to respond to questions and discussions that are on topic. There is nothing going on commercial with me with Fairmont deals.. Fairmont and particularly Fairmont Kea Lani deals on this thread is my hobby.. I like communicating to those who have questions and discussing topics. To clarify, I do not make a cent offering my knowledge and expertise on this forum, and for those who are new.. I'm just glad so many FTers have saved, and frequented Fairmont more as a result. I've met many through my travels and through this forum that didn't think that they could visit Fairmonts affordably. The responses and happiness, when they find out.. yes I can. The result is more business for Fairmonts, and many more hotel goers Turning Moments into Memories.

Last edited by Ancien Maestro; Apr 30, 2011 at 6:34 pm Reason: clarification on commercial
Old Apr 30, 2011, 4:52 pm

Ovation Certificates

I'm *hoping* to book four nights with an Ovation certificate from Capital One. Has anybody ever redeemed one of these? I'm curious about the free breakfast that's included with it, since it expressly excludes buffets. Is there a non-buffet breakfast option at the Kea Lani? Any good? If it's a decent breakfast it might make us switch from the Westin Villas.
Old May 9, 2011, 12:00 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Fairmont Pres Club, Starwood Gold, NEXUS
Upgrade?

I'm staying here this coming week booked in a Fairmont Suite - i'm going to check for an upgrade at check in but wondering if I should ask for a pool side room or just an upgrade. We'd like a balcony or patio that has two lounge chairs (the kind you can lie on) if they exist in any rooms. Does anyone know what's available on the patios for the different room types?

BTW, I'm just plain Presidents CLub at this point in time having lost my platinum status from last year
Old May 9, 2011, 10:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tjbrooks
I'm *hoping* to book four nights with an Ovation certificate from Capital One. Has anybody ever redeemed one of these? I'm curious about the free breakfast that's included with it, since it expressly excludes buffets. Is there a non-buffet breakfast option at the Kea Lani? Any good? If it's a decent breakfast it might make us switch from the Westin Villas.
The only other breakfasts that I'm aware at Fairmont Kea Lani when we were there last month is Cafe Ciao, or in-room Dining. You should check with Fairmont Kea Lani, because I have a gut feeling that they will provide the buffet breakfast.. just from experience having frequented 4 times there.

If its in-room dining, those options will add up to more than the buffet breakfast quite quickly.

Originally Posted by loopies
I'm staying here this coming week booked in a Fairmont Suite - i'm going to check for an upgrade at check in but wondering if I should ask for a pool side room or just an upgrade. We'd like a balcony or patio that has two lounge chairs (the kind you can lie on) if they exist in any rooms. Does anyone know what's available on the patios for the different room types?

BTW, I'm just plain Presidents CLub at this point in time having lost my platinum status from last year
Poolside rooms will have no balcony as you walk straight out of the pool, and is treated as an equivalent almost to Deluxe Ocean View (poolside is popular with families with small children who want to get to the pool quickly off the ground floor).. Poolside rooms are considered a triple upgrade.

The Fairmont Suite will likely have a balcony.. might I suggest you request for a balcony on your reservation? If you quote any third party website to the front desk before arrival and a request for an upgrade, and leave it up to the hotel, you should have better luck getting an upgrade at check-in (compared to poolside which is a triple upgrade).

There will be a lounger, table and two chairs on each standard balcony.. new patio furniture, as a result of their reno.
Old May 9, 2011, 2:08 pm

Programs: A little bit of miles and points scattered everywhere
Originally Posted by loopies

what is a balcony? in hawaii they don't have them....they have lanai's. btw, i never rec'd a response to my post a few pages back. what are people seeing booking for rates this summer. im seeing $400-$600 approx with best offer being 5th night free. no aaa discount or anything.
Old May 9, 2011, 2:38 pm

you're kidding, right?

Originally Posted by koctail
what is a balcony? in hawaii they don't have them....they have lanai's.
you're kidding, right? did you forget the smiley or something?

;-)
Old May 9, 2011, 7:27 pm

Programs: A little bit of miles and points scattered everywhere
Smile

you're kidding, right? did you forget the smiley or something?

;-)
Old May 13, 2011, 2:02 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL PM, Starwood gold, Fairmont plat
Originally Posted by koctail
what is a balcony? in hawaii they don't have them....they have lanai's. btw, i never rec'd a response to my post a few pages back. what are people seeing booking for rates this summer. im seeing $400-$600 approx with best offer being 5th night free. no aaa discount or anything.
I am staying there in Sept for $219/night. They are having renovation rates again like they did last year when they were working on the pools. Now it's painting, the Kho restaurant, and elevator work. The rate was not on the web site. I booked at $373/night and they emailed me back with the reno rates. I think they start in August. I would contact the hotel drectly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.