Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Next 20% Bonus on FPC Gift Cards

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2017, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Those GCs are non-personalized / fully transferable.

Note that for using the Lifeexperiences GC there's technically a limit of using 10 certs per stay according to the T&C (though this doesn't seem to be consistently enforced); and since the largest GC denomination is $100, that's somewhat limiting.

For the regular GCs (sold by Fairmont), there's no limit and there are also much higher GC denominations (up to $5k IIRC)
Old Apr 4, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by escape4
So if the GCs are like cash, I do not see any reason to use anything but GCs to pay at Canadian properties? I guess paying with the Chase credit card gives you 5 pts per dollar spent but the value of the points is nowhere near 20%.

If buying from Lifeexperiences, is there a name on the vouchers? I am not a canadian resident but I could ask someone else to buy on costco.ca on my behalf, right?

Those GCs will end up saving me quite a bit of money!
For the reasons you state, I pay for nearly all of my Fairmont stays using gift cards. As Jasper noted, the $100 denomination is rather limiting, so I normally just use the regular Fairmont gift cards purchased during their semi-annual 16.667% off sales. The savings isn't quite as good, but handing over a stack of $100 certs to settle a $5K bill could be rather time consuming, and they could always choose to enforce the 10-certificate limit if they wanted to (I haven't run into that).

Maybe a mix of 10 lifeexperience certs with the rest on discounted Fairmont certs would give a good discount but not be too difficult to redeem.

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
For the regular GCs (sold by Fairmont), there's no limit and there are also much higher GC denominations (up to $5k IIRC)
I think the largest certificate is $2,000. They let you purchase up to $5,000 in a single order transaction. I normally order 2 x $2,000 and 1 x $1,000 during the facebook sales. And because they limit you to one discounted purchase, I put $5K on one credit card and $5K on another one, and have always received the full bonus.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by CanadaDH
That's not entirely true. I've booked rates that included a prepayment before, and was able to get the hotel to refund the prepayment to my credit card on check-out so I can then use gift cards. Each time, I've had the hotel confirm in writing in advance that they will do this, but I haven't run into problems.

At some hotels, this is unavoidable. I think Chateau Whistler requires a full prepayment of the entire stay 2 weeks before check-in, even when booking BAR. If they didn't allow refunds of prepayments, gift cards would be pretty much useless there, except for food and incidental purchases.

However, you might not want to do this, if refunding a charge for a stay in a different currency than your credit card. You may end up with a loss on exchange conversion, due to the spread on the purchase and refund exchange rates used by your bank.
We prepaid at Whistler last year and had USD Fairmont cards that we had applied at checkout (reservations made 2 months before gift card sale). It took a few extra minutes, moreso on the gift card currency conversion, but it was no problem. And I was ok on the currency rate difference of maybe $4 because I had saved 20% on the gift cards.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Just as a suggestion, I give my GC's to the agent at check-in and let them apply them to the account. Otherwise, at checkout, it can take some time.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 10:04 am

I was able to buy a life experience gift card on Costco.ca by registering using my USA membership number. It asked for a Canada shipping address. Since it is email delivery, I just used a Canada hotel. For payment it allowed me to use a USA card with a USA billing address.

I tried immediately to buy the Fairmont card on le, but the Costco purchased gift card apparently takes a day or two to be activated.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by lkar
I was able to buy a life experience gift card on Costco.ca by registering using my USA membership number. It asked for a Canada shipping address. Since it is email delivery, I just used a Canada hotel. For payment it allowed me to use a USA card with a USA billing address.

I tried immediately to buy the Fairmont card on le, but the Costco purchased gift card apparently takes a day or two to be activated.
Did you have any problems on the activation of the gift card? I purchased from Costco yesterday and am still waiting to use it on the LE site.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 12:32 pm

I bought it earlier today. It is not active yet. The voucher says 24-48 hours though.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
So what type of discounted GCs are currently being sold by Costco.ca?
Old Apr 6, 2017, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
So what type of discounted GCs are currently being sold by Costco.ca?
I bought a 100 CAD life experiences gift card for 75 CAD, which I hope to use for a $100 Fairmont GC
Old Apr 7, 2017, 2:32 pm

Just an update -- was able to buy the Fairmont cert no problem after waiting a day and a half. I received it by e-mail immediately. Not bad -- a 100 CAD cert for $74.99.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Is there any restriction on the Fairmont GC that you bought with the LE/Costco cert that it has to be used at a Canadian hotel? If not, is this a way around using Costco LE at US Fairmonts?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface
Is there any restriction on the Fairmont GC that you bought with the LE/Costco cert that it has to be used at a Canadian hotel? If not, is this a way around using Costco LE at US Fairmonts?
Only Canadian Fairmont hotels.

It also says on the cert it cannot be used for a convention or group rate, which is something I didn't pay attention to when I bought the Costco cert. I am planning to use it for a convention, so we'll see how that goes. Glad I only bought one, but I'm sure I'll be able to use it anyway eventually even if they don't take it.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by will5404
If you are looking at Canadian properties, one is available right now via Life Experiences and CostCo. These certificates don't work for non-Canadian properties though.
Thank you for this suggestion. We just returned from 2 different Fairmont properties in Canada and I was able to save quite a bit on our family vacation. Of course the Costco site was having some e-certificate issues when I made my purchase, but I spoke to customer service and got it all squared away. I received my costco vouchers within the hour then it took about 24 hours before they were active on the LE site.

I felt bad handing over 10 then 8 certificates to the front desks, but they had no issues applying them. One recommended that I could turn in the gift certificates the morning of check out, then they could apply them over the next few hours vs. me waiting about 20 mins. Each property accounted for them differently.

All in all, a positive experience.... especially to my wallet when I was able to combine these with a great date great rate promotion :-).
Old May 9, 2017, 10:50 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Wonder no more! Prepare to wander !
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/fairm...12-2017-a.html
Old May 20, 2017, 4:38 pm

Is the Lifeexperiences website down? I'm trying to load it, but it doesn't load for me.

Also, does anyone know if I buy the gc via costco and redeem on the Lifeexperiences website, can I use that for payment if I made a Virtuoso/Amex Fine Hotels booking? I'm assuming no for the Amex Fine Hotels since I will need to pay with an Amex, but what about Virtuoso? Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.