FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fairmont | Fairmont Presidents Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/fairmont-fairmont-presidents-club-661/)
-   -   Fairmont Ovation Certs - Discover America Promo 5/11 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/fairmont-fairmont-presidents-club/1210677-fairmont-ovation-certs-discover-america-promo-5-11-a.html)

spgplat21 Apr 29, 2011 7:59 pm

Fairmont Ovation Certs - Discover America Promo 5/11

I searched and only found a couple threads metioning these. The last week of the discover america daily getaways has two packages for sale, the first one is for 6 nights at the two Hawaiian properties and the second one is for two nights at the Plaza. https://dailygetaways.discoverameric...ar.aspx?week=4

The T&Cs say these are Ovation certificates, so I'm thinking they must be for 6 C certificates and for 2 D level certificates. I'm also thinking they can be used at any of the participating properties, but since those are the only US properties in those categories they are listed since the promo is Discover America.

My question is about what room category these certificates book into. Some properties have codes for Gold, junior suites, etc. But the online details don't make it clear if that's what category the certificates book into or what that exactly means. Additionally, would you agree that these can probably be used at any of the participating properties in those levels since they are Ovation certificates? If they were only good at these properties, I feel like they would have just made a new special certificate limited to only those properties.

Any insight into this would be appreciated and am I correct in thinking these would be a great deal, especially for some of the European properties.

Ancien Maestro Apr 29, 2011 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by spgplat21 (Post 16303472)
I searched and only found a couple threads metioning these. The last week of the discover america daily getaways has two packages for sale, the first one is for 6 nights at the two Hawaiian properties and the second one is for two nights at the Plaza. https://dailygetaways.discoverameric...ar.aspx?week=4

The T&Cs say these are Ovation certificates, so I'm thinking they must be for 6 C certificates and for 2 D level certificates. I'm also thinking they can be used at any of the participating properties, but since those are the only US properties in those categories they are listed since the promo is Discover America.

My question is about what room category these certificates book into. Some properties have codes for Gold, junior suites, etc. But the online details don't make it clear if that's what category the certificates book into or what that exactly means.

Any insight into this would be appreciated and am I correct in thinking these would be a great deal, especially for some of the European properties.

I'm not experienced with the ovation certificates, but have stayed at both properties.

The offer states 6 (1) night certificates breakfast for two included.. both Fairmont properties in Hawaii are the same price.

Right off the bat, since Fairmont Kea Lani is an all suite hotel, you're guaranteed a 840 sq ft suite, and their buffet breakfast is lovely. So my opinion would be to choose Fairmont Kea Lani. Fairmont Kea Lani is also located in Wailea on the island of Maui. This is the most desirable place to vacation in the US imo.

The offer says standard room at Orchid which is the Fairmont category Garden View room.. I would phone and clarify the offer for Fairmont Kea Lani and ensure its a standard suite.. That would be Kea Lani's Fairmont Category Suite, a view of the surrounding mountains. If the offer is for a moderate suite, it will be a view of the parking lot. At this price, I would double check that it would be at their standard suite.

At $1,570, use an American Express card, get another $157 off, this is a great deal.

pguo May 4, 2011 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by spgplat21 (Post 16303472)

My question is about what room category these certificates book into. Some properties have codes for Gold, junior suites, etc. But the online details don't make it clear if that's what category the certificates book into or what that exactly means. Additionally, would you agree that these can probably be used at any of the participating properties in those levels since they are Ovation certificates? If they were only good at these properties, I feel like they would have just made a new special certificate limited to only those properties.

My guess is category C with standard room. That doesn't mean you wouldn't have the oppotunity to get upgraded.
I don't think they will make a new thing just for the 5 certificates they are trying to sell for DOA.
I stayed at several Fairmont properties using the Ovation D certificates couple of years ago. I don't recall whether I had suite or standard room certificates, but was upgraded to full suite with daily fresh fruits at Le Montreux Palace the first stay and junior suite the second trip. Both are overlooking Lake Geneva and ALPs. I also had a suite at Lake Louis, but being a historical building, meaning also a lot of things don't work, the location is excellent, but service left a lot to be desired.
I was not very impressed with the US and Canada properties. To me other than the location, (Where would you find a luxury hotel in a national park of Canadian Rockies), they are overpriced properties.
I agree you will find the best return of your investment if you can use these certificate for intenational location such as Europe, China, Dubai, and etc. it's great value. You will also likely find better service there.

cw082350 May 8, 2011 10:24 am

A little off topic ...wanted to get the Plaza certificate...Have seen some old posts that the hotel is a little tired. Anyone have new information

Ancien Maestro May 8, 2011 10:28 am

Originally Posted by cw082350 (Post 16348632)
A little off topic ...wanted to get the Plaza certificate...Have seen some old posts that the hotel is a little tired. Anyone have new information

Plaza is renovated and most units have been sold off to individual owners.. It's currently a condotel style hotel. Looks like a hotel, but really individual owners renting out their units.

Plaza has been for awhile, not honoring many of the certificates as compared to many other Fairmonts. The Plaza has a quota of how many free nights they allow in a year, and as far as I know, none of the dining certificates, room upgrades, and suite upgrades work at this hotel.. but I could stand corrected.

koctail May 8, 2011 4:42 pm

i wonder if i can use my cap1 miles for this one. does anyone know what the cc charge shows for these discover america deals? does it show up as travel related? this would be a good replacement for the other fairmont deal that they were offering which has already vanished from the c1 rewards.

tjbrooks May 8, 2011 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by koctail (Post 16350140)
i wonder if i can use my cap1 miles for this one. does anyone know what the cc charge shows for these discover america deals? does it show up as travel related? this would be a good replacement for the other fairmont deal that they were offering which has already vanished from the c1 rewards.

If it's travel-related, you can get your credit over the phone. Of course, YMMV as always, but I've been following the threads since day 1, and haven't heard of any request being rejected.
But since you're paying 10% more for not using Amex, is that really the way you want to go?

teege May 9, 2011 7:46 am

Originally Posted by tjbrooks (Post 16351333)
If it's travel-related, you can get your credit over the phone. Of course, YMMV as always, but I've been following the threads since day 1, and haven't heard of any request being rejected.
But since you're paying 10% more for not using Amex, is that really the way you want to go?

Just to note: You pay 10% less if you use Amex (90 instead of 100). You pay 11.11% more if you don't use Amex (100 instead of 90). ^

nmenaker May 10, 2011 7:39 pm

anyone know if one can use a SUITE UPGRADE in conjunction with something like this ovation cert at say the ORCHID property? Has anyone really used these before, seems to be a nice deal overall. No expiry, "no blackouts", might be good for high season usage

thetenken May 11, 2011 11:36 am

Deal is sold out!

1stClassFamily May 11, 2011 6:48 pm

Do these Ovation certificate stays count toward stays/nights counts toward FPC PLT qualification?

mmargel May 11, 2011 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by thetenken (Post 16367513)
Deal is sold out!

On a whim, I did purchase the Hawaii package. (At 12:05. Couldn't connect for the first 5 minutes, then bingo!)

I have not stayed at the Kea Lani in 15 years. Any current thoughts or additional info about the Ovation Certs greatly appreciated.

yulhammeryyz May 12, 2011 7:49 am

I tried for the Plaza certs but failed at 12:00:01

I don't have a US address so I'm sure I would have been out of luck anyway

tjbrooks May 13, 2011 8:22 am

Originally Posted by teege (Post 16352941)
Just to note: You pay 10% less if you use Amex (90 instead of 100). You pay 11.11% more if you don't use Amex (100 instead of 90). ^

Yes, believe it or not, I purposely stopped myself from using 11.1[bar]. It's part of the painful process to break myself of excessive pedantry.

Ancien Maestro May 13, 2011 9:58 am

Originally Posted by 1stClassFamily (Post 16369877)
Do these Ovation certificate stays count toward stays/nights counts toward FPC PLT qualification?

T&C doesn't specifically exclude them.. so I would assume that you would indeed receive credit using the certs. To double check, call Fairmont.

Ensure that your reservation has your FPC number on it when you're using the certs as well.