Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

The 13th Annual Chicago Seminars @ Delta Hotels by Marriott - October 13-15, 2023

The 13th Annual Chicago Seminars @ Delta Hotels by Marriott - October 13-15, 2023

Old Sep 25, 23, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .56 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
These guys can't even start a FlyerTalk thread on their hotel venue. What else would you expect from this group?
Old Sep 25, 23, 11:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
These guys can't even start a FlyerTalk thread on their hotel venue. What else would you expect from this group?
I don't umderstand your obsession w/ the organizer creating a thread in the hotel forum on the property.
tonei, Adam1222 and IAD_flyer like this.
Old Sep 26, 23, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .56 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
No obsession, just a simple indicator of competence, among many other indicators, and a signal of the degree to which the organizers are interested in and integrated with FlyerTalk.

If they can't accomplish that simple task, what else are they overlooking? How worthwhile is their Seminar likely to be?

The original Seminar has such a link. The newcomer, or spin-off, or whatever you want to call it, doesn't.

Res ipsa loquitur.
Old Oct 3, 23, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
Statement: the past two months I froze my social media accounts (including FlyerTalk) due to attacks and credible threats relating to this year's conference. During this time, I have limited channels to email customer service and texts with trusted contacts. I have taken a number of steps for my safety and am returning to social media in a limited way to push forward through this event.

This has inconvenienced you all, please know I did not take this step lightly. If there is any bright spot, it is that most of the attacks and threats have been directed at me and not to the same degree to the volunteers and speakers that have made this event a decade-plus success.

Regarding the public attacks many of you all have seen, I and everyone of our organizers and speakers have declined to answer with similar attacks. We are committed to running another year of positive event and all we ask of those running other events do the same. What follows will be a number of updates for those who are not on the email distribution list or have not purchased your tickets. Thank you.
HadesNL likes this.
Old Oct 3, 23, 12:42 am
Original Poster

Program expansion email sent to to the Chicago Seminars mailing list:

13th Chicago Seminars

+

2nd Chicago Seminars Variety Show

https://chicagoseminars2023.eventbrite.com/
Together October 13-15, 2023
Dear Chicago Seminars Community,
2nd Chicago Seminars Variety Show (separate FlyerTalk thread to be created)
First held in 2020 during the pandemic, the Chicago Seminars Variety Show is a lighthearted program of fast-paced segments on miles and points. We have consistently heard requests for more online events.

The 2nd edition has gone hybrid, with an in-person and online program on Friday, October 13, 2023 from 11 am - 5 pm CDT at Delta Hotels by Marriott Chicago Willowbrook.

Tickets are $13 for online and $26 for in-person.

Existing Chicago Seminars ticket holders have complimentary access to the Variety Show. New ticket purchases can select the All Access combo ticket to bundle the Variety Show with the Seminars.
Challenge Charity Donation
Event organizer and emcee Stefan Krasowski will personally cover the credit card processing fees of the first $50,000 in charity donations raised at the Variety Show and through the weekend. Let's make a splash and make him pay.
13th Chicago Seminars
Chicago Seminars has a new venue this year, Delta Hotels by Marriott Chicago Willowbrook. There are now no less than two other events the same weekend claiming to be 'Chicago Seminars'.

We, the official organizers of Chicago Seminars since 2019 (when the founding organizers stepped away and transitioned to us), have stuck to a positive message, focused on hosting a great event that many of us have been involved for a decade.

To allow for greater flexibility of attendees, we now have three seminars ticket options:
  • All-Access Full Conference and Variety Show: $178
  • Classic Full Conference (No Variety Show): $165
  • Conference Friday and Saturday (No Variety Show): $105 - this to better accommodate those intending to attend more than one event
See you in Chicago, online, in line at Delta Sky Clubs, or wherever our travels take us, together.

Regards,

Stefan Krasowski and the Chicago Seminars team
Old Oct 3, 23, 12:46 am
Original Poster

Please use the updated ticketing page (https://chicagoseminars2023.eventbrite.com/) for the new ticket options, such as the Variety Show virtual and in-person tickets, and the conference Friday evening - Saturday ticket.

Those who purchased tickets prior to the announcement of the Variety Show are receiving complimentary virtual and in-person access for their continuing support of the event. No action needed by them for the Variety Show. They can show up in-person. Their email address is being manually added to the virtual attendance distribution list.

Last edited by RapidTravelChai; Oct 3, 23 at 1:32 am
Old Oct 3, 23, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Meal preference and name badge registration:

Ticketholders - in case you haven't seen the EventBrite email last week:

Those ticketed prior to 9/23/23:please fill out the meal preference and badge registration form (https://forms.gle/rfJw89W458yoAzSy8) by 10/09/23. Please submit with the same email address as you listed in your ticket purchase.

Those ticketed after 9/23/23: you will have had the questions as part of the new EventBrite package that incorporates the questions. If you did not answer them at time of purchase, you can return to your EventBrite ticket to update them or use the above form, whatever is convenient for you.
Old Oct 3, 23, 3:23 am
Original Poster

2023 Charity Update Announcement:
Rather than split among multiple prior or new event charities, this year we are making the entire donation event charitable donation to RIP Medical Debt (https://ripmedicaldebt.org/).

Listen to this New Yorker podcast on the approach to leverage donations to buy out bulk medical debt for pennies on the dollar, a fitting way for us who benefit so much from the US financial system to help people harmed by it and the healthcare system. Their approach fits the value maximization ethos of the points travel mindset. (https://www.newyorker.com/podcast/po...m-medical-debt).

Challenge Donation:
I am covering the credit card processing fees of the first $50,000 in event donations.
Old Oct 6, 23, 5:59 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by RapidTravelChai
Statement: the past two months I froze my social media accounts (including FlyerTalk) due to attacks and credible threats relating to this year's conference. During this time, I have limited channels to email customer service and texts with trusted contacts. I have taken a number of steps for my safety and am returning to social media in a limited way to push forward through this event.

This has inconvenienced you all, please know I did not take this step lightly. If there is any bright spot, it is that most of the attacks and threats have been directed at me and not to the same degree to the volunteers and speakers that have made this event a decade-plus success.

Regarding the public attacks many of you all have seen, I and everyone of our organizers and speakers have declined to answer with similar attacks. We are committed to running another year of positive event and all we ask of those running other events do the same. What follows will be a number of updates for those who are not on the email distribution list or have not purchased your tickets. Thank you.
Vaguely accusing people of threatening your safety and insinuating that the "public attacks" (I e., criticisms of your business practices) in any way jeopardized your safety ain't positive, bub. Take responsibility for your actions.
Old Oct 6, 23, 8:02 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
I am glad that a statement has been brought forward.
I can talk from experience, better to throw out all the socials out of the window as it can drain you like a black hole quasar.
Let's at least hope for a beter future .

Last edited by HadesNL; Oct 6, 23 at 8:08 am
Old Oct 6, 23, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RapidTravelChai (Post # 79)
Statement: the past two months I froze my social media accounts (including FlyerTalk) due to attacks and credible threats relating to this year's conference. . . .

Regarding the public attacks many of you all have seen, I and everyone of our organizers and speakers have declined to answer with similar attacks. . . .
Fortunately, no threats or attacks are permitted on FlyerTalk (FT), which is closely moderated.

That is what makes the reluctance to engage with the FT community, including a FT hotel thread, all the more curious.

As a former federal prosecutor for 6 years, I would encourage promptly reporting any threats of violence to a law enforcement officer (LEO).
Majuki likes this.
Old Oct 7, 23, 8:07 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Fortunately, no threats or attacks are permitted on FlyerTalk (FT), which is closely moderated.

That is what makes the reluctance to engage with the FT community, including a FT hotel thread, all the more curious.

As a former federal prosecutor for 6 years, I would encourage promptly reporting any threats of violence to a law enforcement officer (LEO).
Of course, if they aren't actually threats of violence, but, for example, threats to take legal action as a result of one's actions or inactions with respect to business relationships, that's a whole different story...
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 8, 23, 10:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I'm not attending either event this year due to schedule, but I wish both the best & hope attendees learn lots!

Cheers.
Old Oct 12, 23, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

2nd Variety Show preview, speakers include:
  • Chris Carley (Eye of the Flyer)
  • Greg Davis-Kean (Frequent Miler)
  • Tommy Danielsen (Loyalty Summit)
  • Ren de Lambert (Frequent Floaters)
  • Andrew D'Amours (FlyTrippers)
  • Tiffany Funk (One Mile at a Time and point.me)
  • Ric Gazarian (Extraordinary Travel Festival)
  • Tonei Glavinic
  • Anmol Gupta (Maple Miles)
  • Julian Kheel (Points Path)
  • Dave & Lisa Kulpa (Basic Travel Couple)
  • Jamie Larounis (Frequent Traveler University)
  • Stephen Pepper (GC Galore)
  • Dan Ports (CardCenter)
  • Logan Robinson (Aligned Incentives)
  • Michael Trager (TravelZork and ZorkFest)
  • Jerry Udell (longtime Chicago Seminars volunteer)
  • Rachel Yuan (Prince of Travel)
  • Orest Zub (NomadMania, calling in from Ukraine)
  • ...plus some extra pop-ins as they arrive for the weekend
Majuki likes this.

Last edited by RapidTravelChai; Oct 13, 23 at 12:26 am
Old Oct 12, 23, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

That is correct that the matters I refer were not using FlyerTalk, however as a blanket measure I also took off FlyerTalk for this period.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.