FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   External Miles and Points Resources (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external-miles-points-resources-723/)
-   -   The 13th Annual Chicago Seminars @The Holiday Inn - October 13-15, 2023: The Original (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external-miles-points-resources/2127210-13th-annual-chicago-seminars-holiday-inn-october-13-15-2023-original.html)

SPN Lifer Jul 17, 2023 2:48 am

The more points of contact and alternate networking opportunities, the better. :cool:

I didn't even know what Discord was until it was mentioned in CommunityBuzz. :o

kokonutz Jul 17, 2023 6:26 am

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer (Post 35419748)
The more points of contact and alternate networking opportunities, the better. :cool:

The very, VERY best (and most secret) hacks and tips are on WhatsApp channels now, IME.

baccarat_king Jul 17, 2023 6:33 am

Originally Posted by ChrisMoss7 (Post 35419088)
Your effort is appreciated. And you are definitely not senile. Mark O. is not scheduled to speak at this event. The Miles to Memories podcast was with Shawn Coomer and Joe Cheung. Only Shawn is scheduled to speak.

Hey, don't move too quickly on assuming I am not senile. LOL 🤣
(I really did think I heard that on: Trip Cancelation Tips, Another Devaluation & Chicago Seminars Drama)
Most relevant, you got some nice coverage on the July 13th pod!

SkiAdcock Jul 17, 2023 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Mrp Alert (Post 35419723)
Side note: pretty much every post in this thread is from a member of FlyerTalk > 10 years. The newbies have found the Facebook Group or chicagoseminars.org - there is still an audience here at the origin, but they are definitely maturing.

Ahem, you really want to go there? :) :p :D

ChrisMoss7 Jul 19, 2023 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer (Post 35419748)

At first glance, it would seem reasonable to agree that more opportunities is better. But there are real costs associated with multiple venues because meeting space is the largest expense of an event like this. The charities are going to lose out tremendously. As in thousands of dollars. Anyone from any event that says otherwise is misguided.

ChrisMoss7 Jul 19, 2023 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz (Post 35420078)
The very, VERY best (and most secret) hacks and tips are on WhatsApp channels now, IME.

Absolutely true. But us old-timers didn't start with WA. You didn't just add random numbers to your WA and build connections. You made those connections via FT, then FB. Most likely the best connections you have are from real-life interactions such DOs, then Seminars, then group events. That's where you get the WA connections.

What you say is absolutely true though. Just a different medium for different times.

GUWonder Jul 19, 2023 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisMoss7 (Post 35428251)
Absolutely true. But us old-timers didn't start with WA. You didn't just add random numbers to your WA and build connections. You made those connections via FT, then FB. Most likely the best connections you have are from real-life interactions such DOs, then Seminars, then group events. That's where you get the WA connections.

What you say is absolutely true though. Just a different medium for different times.

The way younger folk build contacts — and do so further afield from the traditional nests and stomping grounds — is quite different now than it used to be when FT was young. The comfort level with building rapport with strangers remotely just works out differently for younger folk than before and thus sharing or not sharing “secrets” also works out differently than in those older days. If anything, sharing online and “secrets spilling” seems to be increasingly a product of online-only interactions.

A lot of very informative interactions — if interactions are even what they can be called — come via means that have little or nothing to do with real life in-person interactions that were the foundation of traditional network development and the fruit-bearing trees of such networks. We could probably take the rise in romantic coupling that begins with only online connections as a sign of the times about what also goes on with network formation and related or other information sharing: a greater likelihood of it not starting with “real life” in-person” interactions than used to be the case.

SPN Lifer Jul 20, 2023 5:22 am

Originally Posted by ChrisMoss7 (Post # 66) (Post 35428251)
[ U]s old-timers didn't start with WA [WhatsApp]. You didn't just add random numbers to your WA and build connections. You made those connections via FT, then FB. Most likely the best connections you have are from real-life interactions such DOs, then Seminars, then group events. That's where you get the WA connections.

I just joined WA in April 2023. :o

If anyone has any good WhatsApp channels or group chats worth joining (my profile lists my loyalty programs), please send me a private message (PM). :D

Canarsie Jul 20, 2023 9:18 am

Originally Posted by ChrisMoss7 (Post 35428251)
But us old-timers didn't start with WA.

This old-timer on FlyerTalk did.

SPN Lifer Jul 20, 2023 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisMoss7 (Post # 66) (Post 35428251)
But us old-timers didn't start with WA.

Originally Posted by Canarsie (Post # 69) (Post 35429719)

A former FlyerTalker invented WhatsApp! :eek:

Thank you, jkb76 ​​​​​​! 🙏

Mrp Alert Jul 24, 2023 9:37 am

Past Participant Testimonial

1 Attachment(s)
Testimonial Image

Mrp Alert Jul 25, 2023 3:56 am

Speaker Dia Adams

1 Attachment(s)
Speaker Dia Adams (image below)

Mrp Alert Jul 26, 2023 11:32 am

Speaker Spotlight JT Genter

1 Attachment(s)
Speaker Spotlight JT Genter Image

SPN Lifer Jul 27, 2023 6:32 am

This daily synopsis of speaker highlights is an excellent introduction to the Seminar. :tu:

Mrp Alert Jul 27, 2023 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer (Post 35448427)
This daily synopsis of speaker highlights is an excellent introduction to the Seminar. :tu:

They will be weekly-ish going forward, but I was slacking. They also may be posted by other members of the team in case anyone is getting tired of my posts :)