Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

JT Genter has a disappointing Delta economy trip LAX-JFK

Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

On what should be Delta's flagship domestic product, TPG writer JT Genter recently had a disappointing experience. He documents chaotic boarding, almost non-existent WiFi, and rude service. I was particularly shocked by what happened when he requested a cup of water (not an unreasonable request for a cross-country flight!):

On the flip side, I headed back to the back galley during cruising altitude asking for water. The flight attendant who I approached outright ignored my request, physically turning away from me. Another flight attendant who was further back in the galley who overheard my request awkwardly stepped in to get a bottle of water to fill the cup I’d brought back.

It was this same grumpy flight attendant who handed out the complimentary snacks on my side of the aisle. She skipped over at least a few passengers who weren’t ready to say what they wanted when she got to their aisle. Then, when some of these skipped passengers tried to get her attention after she passed them, she overreacted with obvious annoyance.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Thanks for posting. Interesting read. I missed this when I got my daily email from their site. He states that it was "a perfectly fine" flight but that he did have some service issues that annoyed him, which i totally agree with.

Customer service is free, so there is never a reason for the FAs to be like that. I'm glad he pointed out the pleasant FA.

Diva alert: the intermittent WiFi is a major pet peeve of mine. I count on a lot of my cross countries to get some work done. Shame on me since i shouldn't count on it, but it would be nice if it was more consistent. Overall, I give delta and gogo good grades, but its the misses that sand out.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
LOL -- classic TPG diva review. One of many reasons I find their content to be useless these days (the pictures are usually the most informative for selecting seats on new plane types):

Boarding

The flight was clearly packed with Delta elites. By the time Delta boarded Delta One, Diamond Medallion, families, Comfort+, Platinum Medallion, Gold Medallion and partner elite passengers, it seemed like more than half of the gate area had cleared out. Finally, Main Cabin 1 was called, and I entered the line to board. Turns out that “priority boarding” didn’t get me much priority.

While waiting on the jet bridge, I noticed the boarding pass of the passenger ahead of me clearly stated Main 2 — confirming my suspicion at the gate that agents weren’t enforcing boarding groups.
So the boarding was chaotic or you were just annoyed that your MC1 didn't get to board first? You also checked with the passenger ahead of you and know that she wasn't traveling with someone who was seated in MC1 and was allowed to board with her companion?

WiFi: on that point I agree but that's not really DL's problem -- more GoGo sucks. Also what kind of "points expert" plans to pay $40 for WiFi instead of knowing to buy the $16 domestic 24 hour pass before boarding

Seats: Author complains about the fact that there isn't a plug for every seat in Y, just a USB cord, yet his seatmate doesn't need the plug so he has no issue using it for the full trip. Also complains about lack of amenities provided on the seat when boarding........what were you expecting on a domestic Y flight? an amenity kit and a bottle of free champagne?

IFE: Complains that the streaming is slow even though he's on a plane with built-in IFE carrying over 300+ movies

Food: Takes off 5 points out of a possible 15 because there was no free alcohol offered (but it was too early I wouldn't have anyway) and he didn't get an additional drink run between meal service and the snack service. Also never checks the SkyMiles magazine to see the additional food/drink options that are typically available for purchase on the TCONs with food

FA: Unfortunate to get someone grumpy -- unfortunately they exist at DL as they do everywhere (just not as prevalent), though in my experiences the FAs usually leave a couple of bottles out water out and accessible so you can just pour it yourself if you walk to the back cabin -- so no real need to ask but YMMV
Old Oct 28, 2019, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
All of those things happen on every airline sometimes. Nothing to see here.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Not feeling a lot of sympathy for him in all honesty!
84fiero, Adam1222 and nancypants like this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I read this earlier today and IMO this flight seemed totally fine to me. The one bad apple FA aside this was a normal flight......who doesn't travel with their own headphones?
84fiero and Adam1222 like this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 3:28 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
If you read this type of TPG review on a regular basis, you will definitely notice certain writers have a personal bias between airlines and hotel chains. Some are more obvious then others.
84fiero, Adam1222 and solewalker like this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 4:57 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
If you read this type of TPG review on a regular basis, you will definitely notice certain writers have a personal bias between airlines and hotel chains. Some are more obvious then others.
Not just TPG. Lucky @ OMAAT is so anti-American Air, but so hooked on his EXP status, that it's almost amusing to read his cognitive dissonance reviews/posts.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
If Lucky is not fawned and flattered on a flight, he calls it a bad day
84fiero and hhdl like this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
If I book a ticket in Y I just automatically assume it's going to be a disappointment.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
After reading the article I conclude that it belongs in the DYKWIA thread. As it just seems like he expected the FAs to know who he was. Typical blogger, i use to be one.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 7:56 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
It actually sounds like a mostly typical TCON on Delta, with a couple service bumps, but not enough to ruin my day. I agree with Duke above, the pictures can be very helpful.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
After reading the article I conclude that it belongs in the DYKWIA thread. As it just seems like he expected the FAs to know who he was. Typical blogger, i use to be one.
Of course it's a DYKWIA thread on that site...one time I was in the same flight with himself and it was delayed due to ATC control in NYC. He posted complaints on ins while inflight the FA was kind, called him by his name and ran multiple drink services for him, which of course did not get mentioned.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 10:21 pm

I guess Delta forgot to pay their monthly tribute.
koreanair720, caldocane and Gig103 like this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 10:28 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
does anyone even care about what TPG writes? I surprised you were able to gather this much info from the article in between all the credit card garbage
HDQDD and Sallycat like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.