Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

JT Genter has a disappointing Delta economy trip LAX-JFK

JT Genter has a disappointing Delta economy trip LAX-JFK

Old Mar 26, 2020, 5:29 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by stuck720
. An employer cannot hire someone, force them to sign a non-compete, and then terminate them which would prevent them from working elsewhere.
While I agree that would be the fair outcome, it isn't 100% accurate- particularly if there was some sort of severance package that included a non-compete. State law varies.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 10:59 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA
Originally Posted by stuck720

I love the Award Wallet tool though I was not aware they had a blog. Guess we'll see where this goes.
Blogs drive SEO. That's why all SaaS companies have a blog.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 3:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyerJT
Looks like TPG is accepting free travel now: "The Beaches of Fort Myers and Sanibel and Sanibel Moorings Resort hosted the author for a look at life on Sanibel during coronavirus."
https://thepointsguy.com/guide/sanib...g-coronavirus/
^^ Former TPG writer with sour grapes? ^^
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 4:20 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
That guy has been whining so much after he got canned for....anyone know? Some violation of internal policy I guess? Is his wife still working at TPG? Awkward!
Old Jul 15, 2021, 6:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, GHA Titanium, AA Platinum Pro
An interesting thread here from JT Genter:

To play devil's advocate, I wonder if his employment 'contract' with them included some provisions of TPG having the right to do exactly what he outlined. Remove older/any of his articles, as 'property' of the company they may be able to do that?
Old Jul 15, 2021, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by onetouchpass
An interesting thread here from JT Genter: https://twitter.com/JTGenter/status/...571347457?s=20

To play devil's advocate, I wonder if his employment 'contract' with them included some provisions of TPG having the right to do exactly what he outlined. Remove older/any of his articles, as 'property' of the company they may be able to do that?
He also claims something much serious;

By the way, JT's wife Katie Genter still continues to write for TPG.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 8:32 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by onetouchpass
I wonder if his employment 'contract' with them included some provisions of TPG having the right to do exactly what he outlined. Remove older/any of his articles, as 'property' of the company they may be able to do that?
TPG almost certainly is allowed to remove content. But the root issue is why they would want to.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 1:26 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
When did award wallet rename itself?

Old Mar 20, 2022, 8:09 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by oliver2002
When did award wallet rename itself?

https://twitter.com/JTGenter/status/...n573m6Fsg&s=19
Different companies
Old Mar 20, 2022, 9:03 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
On March 20 2020 he posted about joining award wallet? See post #43 …
Old Mar 20, 2022, 10:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by oliver2002
On March 20 2020 he posted about joining award wallet? See post #43 …
I guess I'm confused why you are confused? JT Genter is basically an independent contractor and writes for several different organizations. He also does independent writing for Forbes and Scott's Flights.

As Adam1222 stated, Awardwallet and Nerdwallet are completely different company/entities, not related at all other than a similar sounding name. Neither entity has been renamed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AwardWallet
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NerdWallet

So, I took JT's posting as a thank you to Nerdwallet for bringing him on for additional contract work during a challenging time. As an independent contractor though, that doesn't automatically mean he must stop writing for the other outlets that he has been writing for previously.

Not everyone is a dedicated fulltime/W2/salaried employee tied to one organization to make a living anymore...

Regards

Last edited by scubadu; Mar 20, 2022 at 10:45 am
Old Jun 10, 2022, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, Asiana Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Hey all! JT here. I was doing some Googling and stumbled across this thread. So, I figured I'd drop in to say hi!

Originally Posted by scubadu
I guess I'm confused why you are confused? JT Genter is basically an independent contractor and writes for several different organizations. He also does independent writing for Forbes and Scott's Flights.
So, I took JT's posting as a thank you to Nerdwallet for bringing him on for additional contract work during a challenging time. As an independent contractor though, that doesn't automatically mean he must stop writing for the other outlets that he has been writing for previously.

Not everyone is a dedicated fulltime/W2/salaried employee tied to one organization to make a living anymore...
100% correct. I'm a freelance writer for NerdWallet, Forbes Advisor, CNBC Select, Scott's Cheap Flights -- and a freelance editor and writer for AwardWallet.

I'm definitely enjoying the hustle of working for a bunch of different publications and the variety of work that I can do in this arrangement. Plus, no one publication has been able to offer a high enough salary to cover what I'm making from freelancing (which, by the way, is more than I was making at TPG).

Always happy to answer questions or receive any feedback about my work. I'm happy to be an open book about everything I'm legally allowed to share. My roots are right here in FlyerTalk as an aspiring traveler that wanted to learn how to maximize everything so I could travel as much as possible. In 2015, TPG gave me a shot to write for them - which put me on the path to where I am today. I understand how some can see working for them as selling out. But, that gave me the opportunity to leave the tax accounting field and travel full-time. And it's allowed me to be in the place I am today.
levilevi likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 8:59 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by FlyerJT
Hey all! JT here. I was doing some Googling and stumbled across this thread. So, I figured I'd drop in to say hi!

100% correct. I'm a freelance writer for NerdWallet, Forbes Advisor, CNBC Select, Scott's Cheap Flights -- and a freelance editor and writer for AwardWallet.

I'm definitely enjoying the hustle of working for a bunch of different publications and the variety of work that I can do in this arrangement. Plus, no one publication has been able to offer a high enough salary to cover what I'm making from freelancing (which, by the way, is more than I was making at TPG).

Always happy to answer questions or receive any feedback about my work. I'm happy to be an open book about everything I'm legally allowed to share. My roots are right here in FlyerTalk as an aspiring traveler that wanted to learn how to maximize everything so I could travel as much as possible. In 2015, TPG gave me a shot to write for them - which put me on the path to where I am today. I understand how some can see working for them as selling out. But, that gave me the opportunity to leave the tax accounting field and travel full-time. And it's allowed me to be in the place I am today.
Travel and miles writing sounds more fun than tax accounting IMHO! It's nice to see an FT'er be able to get paid decently to write about this stuff so congrats. Do you do more remote work while traveling nowadays (I mean aside from the pandemic interruptions)?
Old Jun 13, 2022, 11:30 am

Programs: AA PlatPro, Asiana Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Travel and miles writing sounds more fun than tax accounting IMHO! It's nice to see an FT'er be able to get paid decently to write about this stuff so congrats. Do you do more remote work while traveling nowadays (I mean aside from the pandemic interruptions)?
I do! My wife and I sold/donated all of our belongings back in June 2017 and have worked as digital nomads ever since. During the pandemic, we split time between our parents before buying an RV in August 2020 to use as a home base.

Over the last year, we've split our time between hotels (156 nights), the RV (131), friends and family (57), redeye flights (18), and even tent camping (4). And I've worked most days through all of that travel.
84fiero likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.