JT Genter has a disappointing Delta economy trip LAX-JFK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JT Genter has a disappointing Delta economy trip LAX-JFK

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2019, 10:42 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
"Not up to par" is the best part about the whole thing - the flight arrived on time (so, better than AA these days) and our dear reader only had to suffer through not having his drink refilled and waiting behind a lot of elites on a hub to hub route.

I would be annoyed at the WiFi not working for a bit, sure, but why is anyone talking about the quality of economy class headphones, or lacking in drink refills?

koreanair720 and hhdl like this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 4:24 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
what or who is TPG.. and sorry in my life.. it makes no difference.. so sorry he had a bad experience on a DL flight.. big deal...
we all have bad experiences in our life... both on the ground and in the air..
HDQDD likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The flight was clearly packed with Delta elites. By the time Delta boarded Delta One, Diamond Medallion, families, Comfort+, Platinum Medallion, Gold Medallion and partner elite passengers, it seemed like more than half of the gate area had cleared out. Finally, Main Cabin 1 was called, and I entered the line to board. Turns out that “priority boarding” didn’t get me much priority.
Confused, thought all TPG authors were 'elite travelers'.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 5:31 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Total whiner. This looks like an excellent flight in Y with no status
Old Oct 29, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by Duke787
FA: Unfortunate to get someone grumpy -- unfortunately they exist at DL as they do everywhere (just not as prevalent), though in my experiences the FAs usually leave a couple of bottles out water out and accessible so you can just pour it yourself if you walk to the back cabin -- so no real need to ask but YMMV
I cut FAs a lot of latitude, even when in F. They deal with a lot of people all the time (many who aren't at their best) spend a lot of time away from home, have to look a certain way for a good portion of the day, and keep in mind we all have bad days and yet have to go to work and do the work thing. The FA that walked away might not have heard the request for help, maybe she was dealing with some personal issue, who knows. I don't think it's much to get worked up about.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: DL DM, 1MM
Originally Posted by TomMM
Confused, thought all TPG authors were 'elite travelers'.
They state in the beginning of the review: As we wanted to make this an experience as close as possible to the average passenger’s, we divvied up the airlines so that reviewers would fly airlines that they didn’t have status on.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by tubesoxs
They state in the beginning of the review: As we wanted to make this an experience as close as possible to the average passenger’s, we divvied up the airlines so that reviewers would fly airlines that they didn’t have status on.
So the writer flew on an airline that he did not have status on and IMO he compared his experience to the airline he normally flies and has status on. Not a smart way to write an article, very biased
Old Oct 29, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by fotographer
what or who is TPG.. and sorry in my life.. it makes no difference.. so sorry he had a bad experience on a DL flight.. big deal...
we all have bad experiences in our life... both on the ground and in the air..
TPG = The Points Guy. Brian used to be active here on FT before setting off on his own. Supposedly a travel blog, but mostly a credit card points forum.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 9:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
Of course it's a DYKWIA thread on that site...one time I was in the same flight with himself and it was delayed due to ATC control in NYC. He posted complaints on ins while inflight the FA was kind, called him by his name and ran multiple drink services for him, which of course did not get mentioned.
Himself being this writer or the real original TPG (Brian)?
Old Oct 29, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
We paid a total of $277 for this one-way transcontinental flight in economy, and put the fare on The Platinum Card® from American Express, thank to the card’s 5x bonus category on flights purchased directly through the airline or with Amex Travel. We earned a total of 1,385 Membership Rewards points, which are worth about $28, according to TPG’s current valuations.

I put both fees on my Ritz-Carlton Rewards® credit card (no longer available to new applicants) so that I could use my $300 annual airline-fee credit to cover these fees. I could have avoided both of these fees by having the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card from American Express, which offers cardholders a free first checked bag and priority boarding.

I was able to speed through TSA PreCheck security in just a few minutes. Within 20 minutes of entering the terminal, I was airside and heading to the Delta Sky Club thanks to my Platinum Card® from American Express.

For those who didn’t bring their headphones, flight attendants passed through the cabin shortly after takeoff to sell earbuds for $5 — which I purchased using my Ritz-Carlton Rewards® credit card.

I selected the flight pass and was preparing to cough up a whopping $40 for under four hours of Wi-Fi when I was happy to be prompted to use one of my eight remaining American Express internet passes from my Business Platinum® Card from American Express.
An economy flight review? More like an another lame advertorial. Have to keep pushing those creditcards.....
Statman, mapleg, HDQDD and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by Grouchy
An economy flight review? More like an another lame advertorial. Have to keep pushing those creditcards.....
Wait, you can't even open a Ritz Carlton card anymore, right?
Maybe it's just a knee jerk reaction to push any card.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: DL DM
It's part of their shtick. Any flight-related purchase, they mention the credit card used for the purchase. Its just a way to stuff as many referral links into the article as possible.
hhdl likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
TPG = The Points Guy. Brian used to be active here on FT before setting off on his own. Supposedly a travel blog, but mostly a credit card points forum.
Brian isn't the owner anymore anyways. A credit card referral company owns the majority of the company now - so unsurprising that credit cards are plugged a lot, or that the content is not purely from Brian himself anymore.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
thanks for that..
Old Oct 29, 2019, 2:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've met Brian a couple times at DOs, during the early stages of TPG. If one ignores the credit card stuff, I would tend to trust his opinions but not those of the people TPG hired to write for them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.